SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

My guide said mine’s coming in a big end of month push. Can’t wait to get the hastily built end of quarter builds 😂
Pay the man!

I wouldn't be excited about an end of quarter surge vehicle. Go to the Tesla forums and see what people get at the end of the quarter push. I recall missing brake pads on one post. Glass roof detaching on another because they didn't let the glue cure long enough.

For those reasons and many others, why I will never buy a Tesla.

I suspect Rivian is better than Tesla, even with the push, but I'll take my R1T in the middle of the quarter if I have a choice.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Most of the quarter close are probably already built and sitting on the lots in Normal. I’m sure the push is more shipping than manufacturing.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

So then are they not building to people’s existing orders/building what they feel like, or are all these the result of cancelled orders? In a supposedly production-constrained environment, such a surplus doesn’t add up to me.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
In a supposedly production-constrained environment, such a surplus doesn’t add up to me.
It really depends on what is meant by a ton of trucks. 8 trucks would be 28 tons of truck.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
So then are they not building to people’s existing orders/building what they feel like, or are all these the result of cancelled orders? In a supposedly production-constrained environment, such a surplus doesn’t add up to me.
They are building to order but in batches of similar/identical configs, but have a surplus of undelivered configurations. There‘s no way to really know why, but it’s probably a combination of:
- last minute cancelled orders
- building batches of configurations because they have those specific materials on hand and ready to put on the line (”Hey a container of green seats is arriving next week - schedule production to use up ALL of them to keep the line running while we wait for the black seats to arrive the following week, just sell the extras on the store.”)

I really think it’s all about keeping the line running with materials that are on-hand regardless of matching pre-order configurations. The most costly expense to Rivian right now is to stop production for even a day, both in real lost revenue and in Wall Street expectations.

Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Apparently you cant until you are invited by Rivian..
This is true. I was invited and watched for about 2 weeks before I pulled trigger. Guesstimate from guide was 1 - 4 weeks. Was about 10 days. Happy with everything other than no spare tire.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

We need one (Rivian Shop) for R1S, pronto!

GR
I don't see why the R1S would be a separate shop. Some people want R1T's, and will wait for a R1T they want. Some want R1S, and will wait for a R1S if they want, some people don't care either way if something they like comes up. Throw them all in the same shop, anyone can change their configuration from a R1T to a R1S whenever they feel like as it is

That being said, I though Rivian said they were going to try and get away from the "Shop"and build to order, but there will always be cancelled orders, or units built because it was convenient to keep the line running.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I don't see why the R1S would be a separate shop. Some people want R1T's, and will wait for a R1T they want. Some want R1S, and will wait for a R1S if they want, some people don't care either way if something they like comes up. Throw them all in the same shop, anyone can change their configuration from a R1T to a R1S whenever they feel like as it is

That being said, I though Rivian said they were going to try and get away from the "Shop"and build to order, but there will always be cancelled orders, or units built because it was convenient to keep the line running.
I'd use the same shop, but you need to make sure there's r1s shop inventory before releasing it to r1s orders.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I envy you guys. I can't seem to get invited into the R1 Shop with an 11/28/2018 order date.

Sponsored

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
Pay the man!

I wouldn't be excited about an end of quarter surge vehicle. Go to the Tesla forums and see what people get at the end of the quarter push. I recall missing brake pads on one post. Glass roof detaching on another because they didn't let the glue cure long enough.

For those reasons and many others, why I will never buy a Tesla.

I suspect Rivian is better than Tesla, even with the push, but I'll take my R1T in the middle of the quarter if I have a choice.
I'd like one that rolled off the line between 11 and 3 on a Tuesday or Wednesday, please.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I envy you guys. I can't seem to get invited into the R1 Shop with an 11/28/2018 order date.
Moose, I need to buy you a beer.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Doesn’t the R1 shop seem like a lazy way to move vehicles? Wouldn’t a simple order spreadsheet with customers in order for different batches make more sense? I don’t understand how if a customer decides they don’t want their R1, that was built to a certain spec, that that vehicle wouldn’t just go to the next customer in line for that spec. We’re talking tens of thousands of orders right? There has to be atleast hundreds of customers wanting that same spec truck ready to grab it. I get it from a volume moving standpoint since the trucks go almost as quickly as they’re posted, just kinda sucks for 2-3+ year preorder holders waiting patiently. The Rivian Lottery is real.

It would almost make sense at this point to switch our interior to BM just to get a shop invite, and then wait for an OC R1T with our specs to show up wouldn’t it?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Same here.......12/2018 order and have never heard a word.
Wow, there is someone else out there like us. Three plus years and not a peep from Rivian. Our son ordered the same day as we did, and he has had a guide for several months. It is, in effect, the Rivian Lottery.

Brian

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

There has to be atleast hundreds of customers wanting that same spec truck ready to grab it.
Rivian will have a massive warranty recall for its tonneau covers eventually, and it wants as many customers as possible to be close to a service center. Sending dozens of unclaimed trucks to a high volume service center like Bellevue (Seattle area) may make more sense than satisfying dozens of long standing orders for customers located 600+ miles from a service center.

If Rivian anticipates other major warranty recalls (loose bolts, bad steering alignment, slack in the drive train, etc) they would be even more motivated to keep their sold inventory close to service centers.
Sponsored