First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Their set prices are all over the place. We all know forged wheels are way more expensive than cast wheels coming from China. The cost of upgrade in the configurator from 21" to 20" is $2500, while buying the 20" set outright is $4100. This confirms to people that the cost of 21" cast are cheap, $1600 in RIVIAN price. That does not jive with the 21" set selling at $3700 now. Who's in their right mind would do this?
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Shipping them to the service centers is just dumb to me. If I bring my truck in to have 22s swapped for 20s for the winter, are they going to store my 22s until spring? No, you'll just take them with you. Offer shipping to my house for a fee if it's a money thing.
I agree. Until we can change the configuration ourselves and don't have to go to the SC I'm going to wait. So cool it with the "raise the price of the wheels" discussion everyone!

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Hopefully they get drowned with people buying wheels heading into winter, booking up SC appointments and move up the need to make wheel selection changes in the UI ASAP!

Hope your listening Tony!!

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
There are plenty of things they could do better, like selling a spare, or a rim,... The worst is raising prices after just setting prices. This is just telling shareholders that they either really don't know what they're doing, or just taking advantage of demand and gouging their customers while they can. It would be doing the opposite of helping their stocks IMO.
Ummā€¦..you can buy a spare today if you wanted. Just contact your local SC and ask them for a spare in whatever wheel you currently have. Problem solved.

PoorDick

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Karma, 2019 Colorado, 2022 C40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
The Denver SC says they cannot order a spare, but my guide just sent me an email saying, "While the spare tire kit is still not available, I do expect to see it added to the Gear Shop in relatively short order."
"Short order" could mean next week or next year, so who knows.

Sponsored

dementor

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Software Engineer
FWIW I just called to order a set of 20" all-terrains (I need winter tires where I live). They said that since I haven't taken delivery of the truck yet, I can't order them. My R1T is on its way on a train at the moment. I hope they aren't all sold out before my truck arrives, otherwise I'm SOL for driving up to ski this winter.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I called this afternoon to inquire about just buying wheels & TPMS. The agent on the service line said that heā€™d have to call my SC (Brooklyn) to find out if they would do that. I even offered to go & pick them up. He called me back a few hours later & said that the answer was no, because the SC would need to re-code the truck for the different sized wheels. So if this is the pat answer from the SCs, I donā€™t understand how so many people have been able to get just wheel sets from their SCs, even well before the full tire & wheel sets appeared in the Gear Shopā€¦

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

If you have a set of 20's and a set of 21's, can you use one of the wheels from the other set as a limp-home spare? Or would the truck computer go bonkers because it thinks the 'spare' is slipping, because of it's slightly different radius?

Crudestmass

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Firefighter
If anyone in the Portland area orders these I would love to hear about it. Hoping we can pick them up at the Portland ā€˜service centerā€™. It would be unfortunate to have to pay tax in WA, not to mention the 4 hour drive.
I am form Portland and I ordered some 20's this morning. They scheduled me a mobile install on the 15th of November. No sales tax.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I am form Portland and I ordered some 20's this morning. They scheduled me a mobile install on the 15th of November. No sales tax.
Thats great to hear, really glad they can do this in Portland. Funny that they called me today about a wheel balance and a gear lash issue and couldnā€™t find me an appointment this year.

Still on the fence on ordering some, want a set of 21s but think there is a good chance I can get some from one of you folks upgrading to the ATs at a discount.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I called this afternoon to inquire about just buying wheels & TPMS. The agent on the service line said that heā€™d have to call my SC (Brooklyn) to find out if they would do that. I even offered to go & pick them up. He called me back a few hours later & said that the answer was no, because the SC would need to re-code the truck for the different sized wheels. So if this is the pat answer from the SCs, I donā€™t understand how so many people have been able to get just wheel sets from their SCs, even well before the full tire & wheel sets appeared in the Gear Shopā€¦
I think the SC can do it remotely, but whether they want to do it is another matter. If you talk to the correct people, maybe they'll "flip the switch".:)

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Nice!

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
If you have a set of 20's and a set of 21's, can you use one of the wheels from the other set as a limp-home spare? Or would the truck computer go bonkers because it thinks the 'spare' is slipping, because of it's slightly different radius?
I think you can limp home with a mismatch - the truck is designed for offroad driving where wheel slip is expected.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thats great to hear, really glad they can do this in Portland. Funny that they called me today about a wheel balance and a gear lash issue and couldnā€™t find me an appointment this year.

Still on the fence on ordering some, want a set of 21s but think there is a good chance I can get some from one of you folks upgrading to the ATs at a discount.
If you can wait, it's a very good chance you can get a set way below $3700
Sponsored