First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Clubs

Hi Gang,

I had scheduled an appointment at San Francisco service center to rotate the tires on our R1S and wanted to call out some things:

1. When asked if I can get tires rotated at a local tire shop (as we live an hour away from SF shop), Rivian folks at SFO suggested I do not do so and bring the car. If I ever did this at a third party shop then I will void the warranty.
2. When asked why can't they provide mobile service for such a small service, their response was the car is too heavy and needs to be in their shop
3. I was expecting they would rotate the tires and turn the car back to me in an hour or so. Instead they suggested that they need to keep the car for a few days as they are currently backed up with too service requests. Whats the point of an appointment then?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

3. I was expecting they would rotate the tires and turn the car back to me in an hour or so. Instead they suggested that they need to keep the car for a few days as they are currently backed up with too service requests. Whats the point of an appointment then?
My truck has been at service here for the past 18 days without being touched. I asked them the same question and they never got back to me. I'm giving them the benefit of doubt right now since they had just moved facilities but if they had told me I wouldn't have my truck back by this weekend, I would have pushed my appointment out further.

• Angry
Reactions: JPC

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Whoever told you that a 3rd party shop rotating your tires would void the warranty is smoking crack or something equally silly.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
When I asked Rivian where to get my tires rotated they said I could book an appointment or I could do it at any local shop that can handle large trucks. Saying that a third party shop would void warranty is something that someone with no understanding of Magnuson-Moss and is just talking out of their ass.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You would think they would WANT those kinds of services to happen at other shops to help clear their schedules of such minor stuff. Unless they are just sandbagging because they want to do that instead of the other, more difficult stuff…😏

Sponsored

OP
OP
prasadtakkar

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Whoever told you that a 3rd party shop rotating your tires would void the warranty is smoking crack or something equally silly.
The rep was clear and said there are specifics involved with Rivians which she didnt share :)

OP
OP
prasadtakkar

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

My truck has been at service here for the past 18 days without being touched. I asked them the same question and they never got back to me. I'm giving them the benefit of doubt right now since they had just moved facilities but if they had told me I wouldn't have my truck back by this weekend, I would have pushed my appointment out further.
Thats unacceptable and way beyond the benefit of doubt in my opinion.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The rep was clear and said there are specifics involved with Rivians which she didnt share :)
well yes you have to follow the instructions to lift the Rivian but it’s all in the manual, no secret there.

If Rivian tried to void your warranty for having the tires rotated elsewhere they would lose very quickly in any court of law. Only exception would be damage specifically caused by the third party shop.

Edit: on second thought wasn’t there a recent announcement that Discount Tire was Rivians official 3rd party shop. Just go there if you’re concerned.

OP
OP
prasadtakkar

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

well yes you have to follow the instructions to lift the Rivian but it’s all in the manual, no secret there.

If Rivian tried to void your warranty for having the tires rotated elsewhere they would lose very quickly in any court of law. Only exception would be damage specifically caused by the third party shop.
How do I escalate this? :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
prasadtakkar

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Also, there are videos of mobile service rotating tires:

Holy cow, why was I ripped? They made me drive an hour and want to keep the car for a few days

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
I made an appointment with the SSF service center 6 weeks ago (the soonest appointment). I'm just swapping to a new wheel/tire combo and need alignment. So maybe an hour of work? They're telling me TWO WEEKS! I asked if I could just bring the car back when they're actually ready and they said no. They set me up with a rental at the jankiest Enterprise I've ever seen. So I guess I'll be cruising around in an old Nissan for a while, which I can't put my small kids in since it smells like an ash tray. What a stupid system.

OP
OP
prasadtakkar

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I made an appointment with the SSF service center 6 weeks ago (the soonest appointment). I'm just swapping to a new wheel/tire combo and need alignment. So maybe an hour of work? They're telling me TWO WEEKS! I asked if I could just bring the car back when they're actually ready and they said no. They set me up with a rental at the jankiest Enterprise I've ever seen. So I guess I'll be cruising around in an old Nissan for a while, which I can't put my small kids in since it smells like an ash tray. What a stupid system.
Sucks, SFO center in the past had offered me the option to rent an electric vehicle

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The rep was full of shit, plain and simple. When I had a screw in my tire a few weeks back, Rivian told me I could either bring the vehicle to them or take it to a shop of my choosing. They even offered to provide instructions to the shop of my choosing on how to put the Rivian on a lift without a set of jack pucks. There are things that a shop needs to be aware of when putting a Rivian on a lift and a lack of awareness of these things could lead to damage that would not be covered by Rivian's warranty... but that is an entirely different beast than saying that anyone other than Rivian working on your vehicle will void the warranty.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I had scheduled an appointment at San Francisco service center to rotate the tires on our R1S and wanted to call out some things:

1. When asked if I can get tires rotated at a local tire shop (as we live an hour away from SF shop), Rivian folks at SFO suggested I do not do so and bring the car. If I ever did this at a third party shop then I will void the warranty.
2. When asked why can't they provide mobile service for such a small service, their response was the car is too heavy and needs to be in their shop
This is not at all my experience. My service center is Bellevue. I have done 2 tire rotations (5-tire) so far. Both were quick and easy.

For both rotations, I call on Monday, they say how about Wednesday - 2 days away! They also had plenty of alternative dates. I even got to pick the time. Because "normal" service is booking 3 months out, it's clear they have a separate queue to handle tire rotations and other routine service.

They called me the day before to confirm the appointment. Both times.

When I dropped off the car they asked if I was going to wait. When I said yes, they said it will be done in about an hour. And it was done in about an hour both times. One time I was at a coffee shop nearby when they finished, and they called to let me know it was done.

The first time I brought it in for a rotation they also did the customer satisfaction "recall" with the C-pillar clips which was just announced that day. I didn't even know about this until after the service was finished and they reviewed the work order with me.

I am completely satisfied with my tire rotation experience at the Bellevue service center.
Sponsored