Sponsored

Rivian Service Centers / Retail Locations List / Other Facilities (Pics & Updates)

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

I think I discovered the Portland Oregon Location for the Service Center. A friend told me they received a request to quote some construction and it had mention of Rivian. The site address is 2620 SW 1st Ave. It's the location of the La Grand Industrial Supply Co that closed. Does anyone know how to confirm this?
building 1.jpg
Building 2.jpg
https://www.portlandmaps.com/advanced/?action=permits I put in the address and found only some Plumbing permits for this year. I suppose a call to the permit counter might get you the applicant info?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’ll be interesting to see Rivian polish this turd. Gonna be a pain in the ass to get to as well. Even worse than the Macadam Tesla SC. Even so. Super happy to see a Rivian presence in PDX.! Can’t wait!
Maybe Rivian is putting service places in industrial areas on the basis of their service model being picking up your vehicle and dropping off a loaner.

this gets them larger building for less money, compared to locating in traditional dealership areas.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Maybe Rivian is putting service places in industrial areas on the basis of their service model being picking up your vehicle and dropping off a loaner.

this gets them larger building for less money, compared to locating in traditional dealership areas.
This is what I absolutely love about the direct sales model. Tesla, Rivian and anyone who follows are going to put their service centers in low cost, highly functional areas. This hopefully results in lower vehicle costs as opposed to the dealership model where giant flashy showrooms with large lots and service shop built as a second thought drive prices up significantly.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is what I absolutely love about the direct sales model. Tesla, Rivian and anyone who follows are going to put their service centers in low cost, highly functional areas. This hopefully results in lower vehicle costs as opposed to the dealership model where giant flashy showrooms with large lots and service shop built as a second thought drive prices up significantly.
another thing is, I’m pretty sure Rivian is only utilizing existing buildings, likely to reduce environmental impact.

it will be interesting to see if consumer direct cars are much cheaper in the end, or if the margins are just bigger for the mfgs vs having to share with dealers.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Golf Alltrack
I think I discovered the Portland Oregon Location for the Service Center. A friend told me they received a request to quote some construction and it had mention of Rivian. The site address is 2620 SW 1st Ave. It's the location of the La Grand Industrial Supply Co that closed. Does anyone know how to confirm this?
building 1.jpg
Building 2.jpg
I'm digging through https://www.portlandmaps.com to see if I can find anything.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
it will be interesting to see if consumer direct cars are much cheaper in the end, or if the margins are just bigger for the mugs vs having to share with dealers.
The costs don't really change that much whether the manufacturer or a franchised operator buys/leases the building, buys the necessary equipment, hires and trains the staff, pays for the insurance and utilities, medical plan, unemployment, etc, etc etc.

There are some economies of scale and functions that can be consolidated from multiple locations, which is why we see large "Auto Groups" emerging that own multiple franchised dealerships in multiple markets. Most metro areas usually had one or two regional companies that owned stores from various brands, but these are now getting swallowed up by even bigger fish.

Also worth noting that new car sales are the smallest piece of the revenue/profit pie for a franchised dealer. Service and F&I are the cash cows with used car sales beating out what they make from new.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

The costs don't really change that much whether the manufacturer or a franchised operator buys/leases the building, buys the necessary equipment, hires and trains the staff, pays for the insurance and utilities, medical plan, unemployment, etc, etc etc.
That is not quite true. Franchise dealers are not only competing with other brands, but also with other franchise dealers. They are incentivized to produce larger and flashier buildings to bring in the customers. They develop their own marketing campaigns. They have their own ancillary fees. Aside from the limited "Experience" centers Rivian is certainly expanding into low cost existing units.

There are some economies of scale and functions that can be consolidated from multiple locations, which is why we see large "Auto Groups" emerging that own multiple franchised dealerships in multiple markets. Most metro areas usually had one or two regional companies that owned stores from various brands, but these are now getting swallowed up by even bigger fish.
This is true. It also strengthens the argument for removing the franchise model. The largest argument for the franchise model is that the manufacturer's are putting a local business owner out of business. As the "Auto groups" take over this is just not as strong of an argument.

Also worth noting that new car sales are the smallest piece of the revenue/profit pie for a franchised dealer. Service and F&I are the cash cows with used car sales beating out what they make from new.
Yes, yet the service area seems to be one of the smallest and understaffed teams at a dealership. "Certified" Warranty repair shop concept seems like the better way to go along with dealerships moving solely into the used car market.

In the end we'll just have to wait and see.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Golf Alltrack

This location is interesting. Yes it is technically industrial, but it is essentially downtown. It's less than a mile from Tesla's Service and Delivery Center.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
This location is interesting. Yes it is technically industrial, but it is essentially downtown. It's less than a mile from Tesla's Service and Delivery Center.
Im not surprised if they put up near Tesla. They are direct competitors and honestly Tesla did all the hard working finding good locations meeting their demographics.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
huh, interesting indeed. Also not far from a Mercedes dealer.

I hadn’t looked at the map, figured it was in an industrial park or something.

Sponsored

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
I drove by the Phoenix service center location today (1075 E. Salter). Definitely construction going on inside now. Nothing picture worthy yet or to see from the outside but I peeked in the windows and they are definitely doing the TI to get the building ready for Rivian. There’s a large warehouse space behind the office that will clearly be where they install the service bays.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It’ll be interesting to see Rivian polish this turd. Gonna be a pain in the ass to get to as well. Even worse than the Macadam Tesla SC. Even so. Super happy to see a Rivian presence in PDX.! Can’t wait!
Interesting to hear about the S.W. 1st Ave. location. I heard statements that a Service Center is coming to the Aloha-Hillsboro area along Tualatin Valley Highway, near The Reserve Golf Club. Absolutely no proof of it, only very specific comments made by someone who claimed to know. I don't care where it is, just that one is built soon to put us on the schedule for deliveries.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I don't care where it is, just that one is built soon to put us on the schedule for deliveries.
That will be $5 in the jar, please.
From this time forward, posters using the forbidden four letter word are required to contribute toward the fund for the first Riviot gathering(s).

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

From this time forward, posters using the forbidden four letter word are required to contribute toward the fund for the first Riviot gathering(s).
Great idea!!!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'll put in $20, thank you very much. That will prevent my "S-word" anxiety going forward. Doesn't mean I can't substitute "Sept." for the other 4-letter S-word varient! ?
Sponsored