Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Sponsored

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
While I realize that everyone seems to love the Rivian seats, the fact that Hyundai manufactures them gives me pause. I've owned two Hyundai/Kia vehicles and both had seats that were great for about a year and then deteriorated so fast that I actually had to sell them due to discomfort. Seat quality and durability is now one of the biggest things I look for in a vehicle, to the point where I dislike ventilated seats because I feel they compromise the foam density. Hopefully these are sufficiently overbuilt to stand the test of time.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
This was an interesting watch. Having Hyundai/Kia make the seats seems like yet another possible glitch in the supply chain (they have to make seats for their own cars too, which would be priority).

Aside from that, I had no idea seats were that expensive. Hopefully I'll never have to swap one out.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Leather inserts for the middle? Are we sure someone isn't getting something wrong (Rivian or Munroe)

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Leather inserts for the middle? Are we sure someone isn't getting something wrong (Rivian or Munroe)
It is not uncommon to have leather portions of a "vegan" seat that are used for sections that are either ventilated or heated. Vinyl does not hold up well to consistent temperature changes like that over time but leather does.

I'm actually relieved to see Rivian took that approach which is a best of both worlds kind of scenario.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Having Hyundai/Kia make the seats seems like yet another possible glitch in the supply chain (they have to make seats for their own cars too, which would be priority).
Not as much as you might think. Hyundai Transys is an automotive parts supplier and is not the same as Hyundai Motor Company or Kia. Yes, they are all affiliated with Hyundai Motor Group but they operate separately.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
As with most manufacturers... pay them minimum $$ and you get a cheap $hit product. Rivian is paying decent $$$ for their seats, and the build quality looks great with the cover pulled back. Just look at the fully developed/expensive lumbar support/adjustment system Rivian uses vs. the bottom of the line/cheapest (Munro's own words) mechanism used by Ford on the Mach-E seats.

According to the Munro analyst, Rivian has spared no expense on their seats.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
"For the first kick at the cat…." :surprised:

whole quote: "For the first kick at the cat they definitely did not want to take the cost-efficient route, they wanted to give the customer everything."

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Not as much as you might think. Hyundai Transys is an automotive parts supplier and is not the same as Hyundai Motor Company or Kia. Yes, they are all affiliated with Hyundai Motor Group but they operate separately.
That, and just because Hyundai/Kia don't order nice seats, doesn't mean Hyundai Transys isn't capable of making them.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
"For the first kick at the cat…." :surprised:

whole quote: "For the first kick at the cat they definitely did not want to take the cost-efficient route, they wanted to give the customer everything."
As a cat owner... I have never heard that expression, and Olympus did not appreciate it ;)

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Seat Component Breakdown: Sandy Munro Live 1656706525215

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I'll tell you in our next life when we are both cats... 🤪

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
While I realize that everyone seems to love the Rivian seats, the fact that Hyundai manufactures them gives me pause. I've owned two Hyundai/Kia vehicles and both had seats that were great for about a year and then deteriorated so fast that I actually had to sell them due to discomfort. Seat quality and durability is now one of the biggest things I look for in a vehicle, to the point where I dislike ventilated seats because I feel they compromise the foam density. Hopefully these are sufficiently overbuilt to stand the test of time.
I’m sorry but the guy who owns a Giulia is making stereotypical quality statements about the seat manufacturer? We’ll see.
Sponsored