Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
[sarcasm] Yes, Tesla has been killed by lack of Carplay/AA implementation, they haven't been able to sell any cars at all.... [/end sarcasm]
That is a great example of a bad-faith argument.
Sponsored

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Manual transmission...the current millennial anti-theft device...lol.

The job description and possible delivery method sounds similar to a Carvanna experience.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I would not let my daughter get her license until she learned to drive a stick.

I always thought it made people concentrate on driving (especially when they are new drivers) instead of getting in, cranking the radio, sticking it into drive and off they go.

She was not happy originally but came around.

One day they were out with a group of people, driver hurt their leg and couldn't use the clutch, she was the only other person in the group that could actually drive them home....
I call manual transmissions "millenial anti-theft devices". Good for you for teaching your daughter!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Stande03

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Palisade, 2005 F150
Occupation
CPA
That's just not correct. Apple CarPlay scales gracefully up to large screens and even supports multiple screens.
Fair enough I haven't seen Apple Carplay scale up to larger screens to see if they are anything more than an oversized iPhone app screen. Tbh... Air Carplay is not impressive to me. Connectivity is nice, but the functionality is understandably limited given you are operating a motor vehicle. As many others have said, Rivian appears to be doing so many things right I trust their expertise in this decision. I trust them to develop a system specific to Rivian as opposed to Apple Carplay developed for millions of cars not named Rivian.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It sounds like Rivian is hiring for delivery personnel, but don't be surprised if Cox Automotive companies or partnerships play a large role, at least in certain geographies.

I feel confident that Pivet will handle most of the mobile service, and expect Clutch to play a role down the line as well (https://www.coxautoinc.com/brands/clutch-technologies/).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That is a great example of a bad-faith argument.
Perhaps because it is wrapped in sarcasm...

Let me correct it as a counter point;

Although several people have expressed that their preference for Car Play/AA are high on their list of desired features. We simply have to look at the history of Tesla from 2012 through 2019 where they sold 921K cars. Then look at the last 5 quarters from 2020 and first quarter of 2021 where they are growing even faster having sold 690K units bringing their total to 1.6 million over a 9 year spread.

None of the cars that Tesla sales has Car Play or AA as an available feature. A person could look at this steady growth, especially having 43% of the total sales in the last 5 quarters, as an indication that although Car Play and AA are popular options, it does not seem to negatively impact the final sales decision nearly as much as some people believe.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Perhaps because it is wrapped in sarcasm...

Let me correct it as a counter point;

Although several people have expressed that their preference for Car Play/AA are high on their list of desired features. We simply have to look at the history of Tesla from 2012 through 2019 where they sold 921K cars. Then look at the last 5 quarters from 2020 and first quarter of 2021 where they are growing even faster having sold 690K units bringing their total to 1.6 million over a 9 year spread.

None of the cars that Tesla sales has Car Play or AA as an available feature. A person could look at this steady growth, especially having 43% of the total sales in the last 5 quarters, as an indication that although Car Play and AA are popular options, it does not seem to negatively impact the final sales decision nearly as much as some people believe.
Still a bad-faith argument.

We can look at Ford or GM or Honda and using the same logic you could draw the conclusion the EVs are just a gimmick.

Or use that logic and say that the R1T is stupid because no one else has made an electric truck, before, and GM/Ford/Toyota/RAM sell a butt-load of trucks, so clearly being EV doesn't matter.

I think most of us would disagree with both of those arguments.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
A person could look at this steady growth, especially having 43% of the total sales in the last 5 quarters, as an indication that although Car Play and AA are popular options, it does not seem to negatively impact the final sales decision nearly as much as some people believe.
That is a sample of one company, so it may not be true for Rivian or other companies. It also might not be true in the future. I think it doesn't matter that much (my current vehicle doesn't have the capability to use carplay), but at some point, people will be comparing relatively similar vehicles and carplay/android auto could be the deciding point.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian is getting a lot right, but I am quite confident they have completely screwed up the decision to not include CarPlay. I really hope they prove me wrong. But I have a strong feeling, in my core, that my disappointment won't be because I was wrong.
I have little doubt that you (and some others) will be disappointed. CarPlay gives you exactly what you want and anything different can only compromise on that in some way. However, the lack of AA and CP is far from determining whether Rivian will be successful or unsuccessful as a company. Their vehicles just won't be suitable for everyone (and Rivian never claimed otherwise).

Sponsored

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
I didnā€™t want CarPlay in my 2019 Jeep because I liked CarPlayā€™s interface - in fact I hadnā€™t really seen or used it much. I wanted CarPlay in my 2019 Jeep because the UI in my 2012 Jeep was awful and I didnā€™t trust FCA to do better. I have more confidence in Rivian, but still like the idea of having an option to use it in the event it turns out to be needed (i.e., they let the FireTV people ā€œhelpā€ with the UI too much). Turns out that the FCA UI in my 2019 Jeep doesnā€™t suck, so I only occasionally use CarPlay. CarPlay exists because Apple doesnā€™t trust anyone to get UI right besides themselves - for better or worse.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Just give us option to pick up the vehicle. They can even charge extra for factory pickup. I've driven by the factory multiple times and would love to see the inside in person. Also love the idea of being drive a car from mile 0.

Bloomington/Normal has a great regional airport.

Amtrak also has service from Chicago Union Station (for those that find it easier to go to Chicago) to Bloomington and hate flying. I'm also sure there is bus service from ORD to Bloomington.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I didnā€™t want CarPlay in my 2019 Jeep because I liked CarPlayā€™s interface - in fact I hadnā€™t really seen or used it much. I wanted CarPlay in my 2019 Jeep because the UI in my 2012 Jeep was awful and I didnā€™t trust FCA to do better. I have more confidence in Rivian, but still like the idea of having an option to use it in the event it turns out to be needed (i.e., they let the FireTV people ā€œhelpā€ with the UI too much). Turns out that the FCA UI in my 2019 Jeep doesnā€™t suck, so I only occasionally use CarPlay. CarPlay exists because Apple doesnā€™t trust anyone to get UI right besides themselves - for better or worse.
Yep. Iā€™m in the same boat with my Ford.

Considering Apple Music works on Amazon devices already, I would bet it will eventually in my Rivian. Audible will surely be a first-class citizen as well. Kinda sad that I might have to play my Podcasts through regular Bluetooth and control it on my phone like I currently do in my truck, but ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Gerolsteiner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Just give us option to pick up the vehicle. They can even charge extra for factory pickup. I've driven by the factory multiple times and would love to see the inside in person. Also love the idea of being drive a car from mile
Amtrak also has service from Chicago Union Station (for those that find it easier to go to Chicago) to Bloomington and hate flying. I'm also sure there is bus service from ORD to Bloomington.
Yep, in Chicago and would love the idea of taking public transit all the way to pick up the Rivian. There doesnā€™t seem to be anything connecting the Rivian factory and Bloomington station, so Iā€™d hope the gang will prep some kind of shuttle.
Sponsored