DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yep, in Chicago and would love the idea of taking public transit all the way to pick up the Rivian. There doesn’t seem to be anything connecting the Rivian factory and Bloomington station, so I’d hope the gang will prep some kind of shuttle.
I'd still love the option to show up there, via air travel or Amtrak, and just drive it home. If no factory tour is offered, so be it. If Rivian could allow a simple drop-by and pickup there, without having to include the destination charge, I'd do it.

If the purchase is already completed before I arrive, there shouldn't be any State taxes or fees needed. I've purchased cars from Ohio and Colorado in the last five years in that fashion, and it was seamless. Both were used, but the purchases were completed a week in advance, and I simply flew in, had the dealership pick me up, and I was out the door that day with no hassle and no taxes. Fortunately for me, the state of Oregon has no sales tax, so I simply licensed them once I got here.

Best roadtrips ever!
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Yep, in Chicago and would love the idea of taking public transit all the way to pick up the Rivian. There doesn’t seem to be anything connecting the Rivian factory and Bloomington station, so I’d hope the gang will prep some kind of shuttle.
There is a bus that runs back and forth non-stop from a hotel in NoBlo to the factory...I have seen it with my own eyes.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

CarPlay exists because Apple doesn’t trust anyone to get UI right besides themselves - for better or worse.
Regardless of Apple’s motivation for developing CarPlay, I think people want CarPlay and Android Auto for different reasons.

As a tech person, I appreciate that with AA and CP my car’s central screen will offer updated features, traffic info, navigation maps, etc. much faster and for a longer period of time than if I’m relying on the typical car manufacturer to provide updates. I understand the benefits of a system which is tailor-made for the car in terms of functions provided, especially navigation route planning for EVs where range and charging locations can be critical. The lack of CP isn’t a show-stopper for me.

However, if Rivian wants to expand beyond the tech-friendly, it ’s important to keep in mind that non-tech people love the fact that as they move from car to car, even borrowed or a rental, they can use the same interface with AA and CP. A lot of us on this forum are high-tech and range-obsessed but there will be people who buy these vehicles for short-distance driving only and they just want an easy way to get at their core phone apps without doing anything differently.

Assuming this is possible, it would be nice if the Rivian system could eventually support AA and CP as a window within their larger UI. I think that has the potential to satisfy a larger group of people. It could come later when Rivian needs to cater to the mainstream buyer who is doing a feature comparison between products.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

There is some excellent sleuthing that goes on in this forum. Now, if only someone can tell me why there will be no CarPlay.
One word: "Amazon"

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Sponsored

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
I call manual transmissions "millenial anti-theft devices".
Hey now, some of us can drive them!

Granted I'm unusual in that I learned to drive in a 1930 Ford Model A....

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mustang Mach-E, Odyssey and former iX
One word: "Amazon"
I'm cool with Amazon as our house is a weird mix of the Alexa and Apple ecosystems. If the navigation system is good, then I am okay with no CarPlay. It is awfully convenient though.
Sponsored