Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Shouldn't batteries be stored around the middle of their charge. Keeping them on a truck or parking lot for awhile at 90% might not be good for the battery. Maybe I'm overly concerned as the time from charging to 90% to time of delivery will be short for awhile.
No qualifications were reported regarding delivery SoC. Perhaps 80% is for home delivery and 90% is for factory delivery when people will have to drive a long distance home. But probably not. Regardless, Rivian are the experts on their battery pack. Just relax and let them worry about such details. They haven't come this far just to "ruin" your vehicle during transit.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Shouldn't batteries be stored around the middle of their charge. Keeping them on a truck or parking lot for awhile at 90% might not be good for the battery. Maybe I'm overly concerned as the time from charging to 90% to time of delivery will be short for awhile.
80-90% is not an uncommon recommendation, afaik.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The general advice for modern EVs is that a plugged-in EV is a happy EV. You shouldn't have to think about optimum state of charge at all beyond avoiding generally avoiding the extreme margins (top or bottom 10%). You probably shouldn't run it dry and then CCS back to 100% in your daily driving (the "Taxi" scenario), but beyond that, the BMS (and reserved safety margins) exists to keep you from micromanaging this stuff. (Take Elon with a grain of salt, but he's generally been dismissive about the risk of using the whole battery.)

Guidance around long term storage is more for the "I'm going to put it in a container for six months" scenario than the "awaiting delivery" scenario. Even then, you'd want it plugged in with a reasonable state of charge - it will likely lose a percent or two a day from various maintenance activities and vampire losses.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I have a good friend who owns a towing and repossession company. They tow vehicles all the time with no keys and without having to gain entry into the vehicle.

An operator with a flatbed should have no problem doing 100% contactless deliveries.
I'm pretty sure you don't want them towing your new $80k truck the way a tow truck drive does... I'm sure a human will be driving and sanitizing the truck. I'd guess they will all be detailed locally before delivery as well.

They will also probably be fully vaccinated individuals if what you are worried about is COVID.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm pretty sure you don't want them towing your new $80k truck the way a tow truck drive does... I'm sure a human will be driving and sanitizing the truck. I'd guess they will all be detailed locally before delivery as well.
I’m not taking about the predatory tow companies. I’ve ridden along for at least a hundred tows at my friends company and they’re impeccable. I assume rivian wouldnt just go with the lol “bobs we yank em” provider.

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mustang Mach-E, Odyssey and former iX
There is some excellent sleuthing that goes on in this forum. Now, if only someone can tell me why there will be no CarPlay.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

There is some excellent sleuthing that goes on in this forum. Now, if only someone can tell me why there will be no CarPlay.
???????????????????????????

Because Rivian believes their experience will be better than anything Apple or Google could conjure up...

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
My wife took delivery of a Tesla 3 a couple of years ago & had already arranged to trade in her Audi A3. This kid delivered her Tesla to our house and when it was time to leave in her Audi, he sheepishly asked "is it a manual? I don't know how to drive a manual". Unfortunately, alas, it was automatic.

Stande03

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Palisade, 2005 F150
Occupation
CPA
My understanding is that Carplay and Android Auto were designed for smaller screens as compared to what the Rivian will have. I compare it to iPhone apps I've seen just get blown up on an iPad screen as compared to ones that are redesigned to maximize the space. Makes sense and I agree it will provide a much better customized experience for our hardware.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My understanding is that Carplay and Android Auto were designed for smaller screens as compared to what the Rivian will have. I compare it to iPhone apps I've seen just get blown up on an iPad screen as compared to ones that are redesigned to maximize the space. Makes sense and I agree it will provide a much better customized experience for our hardware.
That's just not correct. Apple CarPlay scales gracefully up to large screens and even supports multiple screens.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
???????????????????????????

Because Rivian believes their experience will be better than anything Apple or Google could conjure up...
Rivian is getting a lot right, but I am quite confident they have completely screwed up the decision to not include CarPlay. I really hope they prove me wrong. But I have a strong feeling, in my core, that my disappointment won't be because I was wrong.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My wife took delivery of a Tesla 3 a couple of years ago & had already arranged to trade in her Audi A3. This kid delivered her Tesla to our house and when it was time to leave in her Audi, he sheepishly asked "is it a manual? I don't know how to drive a manual". Unfortunately, alas, it was automatic.
I would not let my daughter get her license until she learned to drive a stick.

I always thought it made people concentrate on driving (especially when they are new drivers) instead of getting in, cranking the radio, sticking it into drive and off they go.

She was not happy originally but came around.

One day they were out with a group of people, driver hurt their leg and couldn't use the clutch, she was the only other person in the group that could actually drive them home....

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
[sarcasm] Yes, Tesla has been killed by lack of Carplay/AA implementation, they haven't been able to sell any cars at all.... [/end sarcasm]
Sponsored