First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
No—losses do not include the value of capital assets. Every dollar spent is not a loss if it purchases something of residual value. If I spent a billion dollars on gold bars, I won’t record a billion dollar loss.

I think Tesla’s retained earnings bottomed out at -$6 to $7B. Then it opened its Chinese factory, which, along with pollution credits, saved them. I wonder how many pollution credits Rivian sells.
That's exactly my point - losses do not include capital assets. Rivian did not lose $14.5B since they started shipping vehicles in 4Q21 .

Losses since shipping vehicles:
4Q21 - $2.46B
2022 - $6.8B
2023 - $1.35B
Sponsored

Deleted member 11292

I think Tesla’s retained earnings bottomed out at -$6 to $7B. Then it opened its Chinese factory, which, along with pollution credits, saved them. I wonder how many pollution credits Rivian sells.
The same Tesla that nearly failed, despite being the only game in town in a zero interest rate environment? With loans from the government? The same Tesla that lobbied for changes to the current laws that have resulted in them being the only car company getting tax incentives when they're supposed to have run out?

Yeah, that Tesla.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That's exactly my point - losses do not include capital assets. Rivian did not lose $14.5B since they started shipping vehicles in 4Q21 .

Losses since shipping vehicles:
4Q21 - $2.46B
2022 - $6.8B
2023 - $1.35B
They’ve raised about $24B, took in $3B in revenue and have $11.2B on hand. $16B in cash is gone, not all of that is loss. Agree that they lost only about $10B recently. I wonder what their COGS looks like now. Guess we’ll have to wait for it.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Why don't you give us all a lesson in trading. While you're at it you can talk about the hedge fund you work for and why you keep spreading FUD.
I bought at the IPO. I don’t work for a hedge fund. Why do you respond with personal attacks? Facts, please! Data! Even personal anecdotes or cat pics accepted!

You bought a Tesla, TSLA, or both, I assume? I know your type. Toxic Stan. Blocking.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I bought at the IPO. I don’t work for a hedge fund. Why do you respond with personal attacks? Facts, please! Data! Even personal anecdotes or cat pics accepted!

You bought a Tesla, TSLA, or both, I assume? I know your type. Toxic Stan. Blocking.
Saying you work for a hedge fund and are spreading FUD is a personal attack now? Harden up guy, better yet carry through with your threat and block me. I'm a little tired of reading shill posts anyways.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
They’ve raised about $24B, took in $3B in revenue and have $11.2B on hand. $16B in cash is gone, not all of that is loss. Agree that they lost only about $10B recently. I wonder what their COGS looks like now. Guess we’ll have to wait for it.
Right, that's my point. All I'm saying is that allocating pre-production losses as part of a loss per vehicle once production starts is not a useful metric. In additional to capital assets, a good portion of that $16B went into preproduction/startup R&D, staffing, training, etc. etc. That gets spread across multiple years of production. Let's see where the numbers fall the end of this fiscal for a current metric, and then just for fun, add in maybe 1/7 of the preproduction losses to see a long term metric.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It seems like it has to, unless they want to be in the vehicle storage business.
They actually are in that business for the EDVs.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They actually are in that business for the EDVs.
Not on their own books though. Isn't it that as soon as it's parked on the lot, the EDV is owned by Amazon? Or does ownership change hands when Amazon finally gets around to picking it up?

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

You guys all know they publish a quarterly SEC filing along with all of this right? For those of us who love facts, this is usually a pretty reliable source, as it's audited according to FASB and IFRS :).

This stuff is even searchable on the internet! Inline XBRL Viewer (sec.gov)
Sponsored