Sponsored

Rivian refuses to reinstate my preorder...

disneydad

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
automotive designer/fabricator
As many other preorder holders, I received the price hike to preorder holders email back in March. Like many others, after waiting for well over a year, I was devastated. I called Rivian and voiced my frustration with their decision to hike prices on preorder holders, and subsequently cancelled my order. After facing the public backlash, Rivian reversed course and sent out their letter stating that they would reinstate anyone that had cancelled and they would honor the original quoted price and would be reaching out to folks that had cancelled their orders to provide them a way to reinstate. I waited and waited, never received an email, phone call, nothing. I called Rivian in April and was told they assigned a case rep to my issue and they would be reaching out with an update soon. Called again in May, June, and July. Fast forward to August, and called Rivian yet again to discuss what in the world is going on with my reinstatement and they said they would research this, they acknowledged that they never tried to contact me in any way (phone or email), and a rep would review my case and would contact me. Again, never heard anything back. Zero. So, I called again last week and repeated this insane process yet again. This time, however, a rep did finally email me back about a week later explaining that despite the fact of all that I've done, they cant find ANY correspondence from Rivian to me or vice versa, no emails, nothing. As such, they cannot reinstate my order. They wont respond to my emails requesting details, nothing. This is insane...
Sponsored

OP
OP

disneydad

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
automotive designer/fabricator
Yep, they got those right. Just no other subsequent emails of any kind. They even admitted that they have an issue with email addresses with "info" in the address. They admit they didnt contact me. Just wont reinstate under any circumstances.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Did you get your deposit back? Isn't that also proof?
I was typing something similar when I saw your post. Is there a credit card statement showing the refund of the $1,000 after the price hike cancellation?

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You said that you "expressed your displeasure" with them over the phone. Is it possible you were a complete asshole to them over the phone? If so, I wouldn't reinstate your preorder either. Of course I'm not accusing you and I wasn't there but if you acted in a not very nice way I wouldn't sell you my product either.

Being involved in a retail industry you learn pretty quickly that some customers aren't worth the trouble that servicing them is. Maybe you're on that list? That's all I can think of honestly.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Such a conspiracy would require the people at Rivian to communicate with each other, which we know doesnā€™t happen. PurpleMonkeyDishwasher.

Last edited:

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Such a conspiracy would require the people at Rivian talk to each other, which we know doesnā€™t happen. PurpleMonkeyDishwasher.
They could simply leave a comment in the system (like any other company does). Although itā€™s doubtful anyone did that.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It sounds like most of your correspondence with them was via phone calls? If not and you sent them emails along with the phone calls wouldnā€™t you be able to provide them with a history of your attempts to contact them? Maybe they still wouldnā€™t care, but it would be proof.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Such a conspiracy would require the people at Rivian to communicate with each other, which we know doesnā€™t happen.

FTFM

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Such a conspiracy would require the people at Rivian to communicate with each other, which we know doesnā€™t happen. PurpleMonkeyDishwasher.
Great beer!, lol!
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian refuses to reinstate my preorder... 1663109541551

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sucks. Sometimes actions have consequences though.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It is strange that so many people did get their orders reinstated after the 3/1 debacle, but for some reason it didnā€™t happen for this guy. I never canceled my order so I donā€™t even know what one had to do to make it happen.

As @Donald Stanfield alluded to, it does seem possible that Rivian has blacklisted him. We do this in my business with people who disrespect our staff or just generally bring too much crazy to the table to make it worthwhile keeping them as a customer. For the worst offenders we simply tell them ā€we donā€™t feel like we can make you happy so itā€™s probably best you find a new facility to take your dog to.ā€ Then we add a banned icon to their account and move on.

For others who are either crazy enough that we are concerned about what their reaction might be to being informed they are banned, or if they are just consistently a pain in the ass, we quietly add a blacklist icon to their account and if they call in to request services we are conveniently ā€œfully bookedā€ every time they call.

Itā€˜s sad, but over the last 3 years we have added probably 10 customers to those lists. Iā€™m not saying that is what happened to disneydad, just a possibility.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I think it's September and a some people who let the old pricing slip away now realize, considering current car prices, that they made a mistake.

Rivian's customer service email is tracked and answered. Most people capable of buying an expensive vehicle are sophisticated enough to know to "put it in writing".
Sponsored