Sponsored

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Rivian has identified and issued recall for potential issue with the side curtain airbags in the R1S. The problem is related to the fasteners that secure the airbags to the roof rails. The loose fasteners could cause the airbag to deploy improperly, increasing the risk of injury in the event of an accident.

The company first became aware of the issue on February 16, 2023, when a vehicle at its assembly plant in Normal, Illinois, had a loose airbag.

No reports of accidents, injuries, or deaths have been connected to this part / issue.

Production units covered are those produced between 10/28/22 - 1/21/23 (covers both MY22 and MY23 vehicles).

Rivian will start contact affected R1S owners on April 28, 2023.

See official NHTSA notice:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Recalling 30 R1S for Loose Side Curtain Airbag Issue Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.45.29 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Recalling 30 R1S for Loose Side Curtain Airbag Issue Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.45.42 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Recalling 30 R1S for Loose Side Curtain Airbag Issue Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.45.49 AM
Sponsored

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

Same recall for the R1T that we recently received. Takes a few minutes to get done.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
30 R1S affected? That must be all of them!

/s

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Same recall for the R1T that we recently received. Takes a few minutes to get done.
If you're referring to Rivian cutting off a clip from the c-pillar, no, this appears to be different.

bbenoit726

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Is there a way to tell, from VIN, when the vehicle was produced, or can that only be gotten from the sticker on the car itself?

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Is there a way to tell, from VIN, when the vehicle was produced, or can that only be gotten from the sticker on the car itself?
You can kind of guess the month built based on vin and looking at vehicles delivered on this forum plus looking at the sales on cars and bids. I was able to guess the month of my build before I picked it up. They say they are not built in sequence but they are close.

Something here does not add up though, the date range says 10/28/22 - 1/23/23, there were thousands built in that time frame not 30. Maybe it is related to a specific interior like OC that did not have a lot of early builds.

Will be interesting to see what this actually ends up being.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Something here does not add up though, the date range says 10/28/22 - 1/23/23, there were thousands built in that time frame not 30. Maybe it is related to a specific interior like OC that did not have a lot of early builds.

Will be interesting to see what this actually ends up being.
If we assume that Rivian truly built a state of the art assembly line, there's a good chance they were able to determine the vehicles affected by data collected during assembly. For example, there are digital torque wrenches available that record every single torque value and report that data to the vehicle build record along with the operator id. Some of these can receive a build recipe from the manufacturing execution system that automatically sets the torque value. I saw this in use about 10 years ago at the BMW Mini factory. If Rivian uses this type of tech, they could narrow it down to a miscalibrated tool, operator error, build recipe software bug, etc. and short list the vehicles affected.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Recalling 30 R1S for Loose Side Curtain Airbag Issue 1678901483216
Sponsored