Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's official, Rivian raises another $2.65B:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/19/business/rivian-tesla-electric-cars.html
https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/19/r...es-towards-production-of-its-electric-pickup/

Rivian has raised $2.65 billion as it prepares to begin production this summer of its all-electric pickup truck.

The round, which was led by funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates Inc., also included Fidelity Management and Research Company, Amazon’s Climate Pledge Fund, Coatue and D1 Capital Partners as well as several other existing and new investors.

Rivian is now valued at $27.6 billion, according to a person familiar with the investment round.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I hope they have enough room left to build trucks with all that cash laying around
If is why they have to keep the tonneau covers closed. Gotta keep all that cash away from a gust of wind.

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
If is why they have to keep the tonneau covers closed. Gotta keep all that cash away from a gust of wind.

If that is the case, keep mine open while they are building it in case some flies in... then close it on the way out the door to where I'll be waiting for it.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I found the following excerpts from the NYT article interesting:

On a recent afternoon, engineers in Plymouth were tinkering with a half-dozen R1T pickups in various stages of development. A few were hand-built models with screws visible in door wells — telltale signs of early prototypes. One was a more refined version that seemed a step or two away from the production version.

“People are working all hours,” said Ryan Kalb, a special projects engineer. “We are trying to move quickly, and we want to be doing it. We all want to see this happen.”

It was a similar story about 300 miles down the road at Rivian’s plant in Normal, a 3.4 million-square-foot factory that the company bought for $16 million in 2017. Since then, the plant has undergone an overhaul that cost more than $1 billion. Freshly painted and brightly lit, it has a long, winding assembly line where the R1T and R1S S.U.V. will be made. At the moment, only a few are built each day.

I don't think either of those bolded pieces are negative, just interesting. I honestly don't know what numbers I expected to see at this late stage of pre-production. A few vehicles per day coming out of the main plant seems like a good start...

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I found the following excerpts from the NYT article interesting:

I don't think either of those bolded pieces are negative, just interesting. I honestly don't know what numbers I expected to see at this late stage of pre-production. A few vehicles per day coming out of the main plant seems like a good start...
The TechCrunch article says the pilot line is up and running, but the factory isn't complete. I think a few a day is a good start, as you said, and they should both pick up pace and then add parallel lines.

Sponsored

Middlefork

First Name
Al & Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
how can us average joe's (or whatever your name is) get in on these funding rounds?