Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Honda Civic EX - way overdue for upgrade
I'd never even heard of a VehiCROSS. Those things look neat.

Scoop: The Rivian R2R Will Be A 500-HP Rally Wagon

https://carbuzz.com/news/scoop-rivians-next-product-will-blow-tesla-away

Rivian's third EV will be a powerful, capable rally-inspired wagon.

Leading up to the coronavirus-spawned shutdown earlier this year, electric vehicle startup Rivian was remarkably busy. The Michigan-based company, which has generated tons of positive buzz and attracted sizable investments from the likes of Ford and Amazon, is working to ready its Normal, Illinois factory to produce its first EV models - the R1T pickup and R1S SUV - but manufacturing faces delays due to Covid-19.

But long before Rivian's Illinois production plant was ever set to turn out a finished vehicle, the company had more than a vague idea of what would follow the R1T and R1S to market.

For its third vehicle, Rivian will borrow a play from Subaru, producing a vehicle that blurs the line between station wagon and crossover utility vehicle. The new car, dubbed the "R2R," has been described by our well-placed sources as something with the proportions sort of halfway between a Subaru WRX wagon and an Isuzu VehiCROSS - Isuzu's quirky, off-road-capable compact CUV from the late 1990s and early 2000s - except, of course, for the powertrain.

According to sources, total peak output for the R2R is said to be somewhere around 500 horsepower, and as a matter of course, will pack all-wheel drive and four motors.

This new info builds on what Rivian CEO Robert "RJ" Scaringe said about the vehicle back in 2018, who only hinted at the time that it would be a sort of "rally car" with more ground clearance.

Developing vehicles with off-road capability in mind is something that Rivian already has some experience in. Back in December, the EV newcomer released a headline-grabbing video of its R1T pickup performing a zero-radius "tank turn" - a maneuver made possible by the fact that each of the truck's four wheels is powered by its own, independent electric drive motor.

The Rivian R2R will have the same basic powertrain configuration, with quad motors, but with a lower output than the trucks. And, we're told, a more agreeable price point that the R1T truck and R1S SUV, too. So, if you were holding out for a 500 horsepower all-electric five-door backroad blaster, keep your eye on Rivian.

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Too bad they don't substantiate their source but cool info and the R2R name has a nice ring to it if all this is true.

Hope it's got as cool a look as the renders this site post last year : Rivian Rally Model Imagined!

Rivian-R2R-crossover-wagon-front-yellow.jpg

Rivian-R2R-crossover-wagon-rear-yellow.jpg

Rivian-R2R-crossover-wagon--rear-yellow.jpg

Rivian-R2R-crossover-wagon-front.jpg

Rivian-R2R-crossover-wagon-white-rear.jpg

Rivian-R2R-crossover-wagon-rear.jpg

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Rivian has four models on the front burners: R1T, R1S, Lincoln SUV & Amazon vans (plural). Production is delayed, and it be 2022 before the four models to which Rivian is already committed are rolling off the lines in expected volumes. If demand exceeds production capacity (20,000 in the first full year of production), and this is quite possible, it could be 2023 by the time Rivian is ready to bring a new model to market. By then, the market could look pretty different. So, I'm not trying to crash the party, but I wouldn't be getting too jazzed about the R2R just yet.

OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think anybody's expecting to see the R2R before the others have been out for at least a year. 500hp is interesting though. It must be a much smaller car for performance to be noteworthy compared to their first generation.

CappyJax

Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
What to do? I think the Rally car is more my style. Should I wait for it, or get the Truck when it becomes available. What a first world problem!

OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
What to do? I think the Rally car is more my style. Should I wait for it, or get the Truck when it becomes available. What a first world problem!
I was worried about how annoying it would be in a city to have a 200+" vehicle. So I got a used 2015 Mazda CX-9 with the intention of trading it in next year some time. Fortunately, I don't have to parallel park a lot. But if it does get annoying, I might go for the R2R if it's on the horizon when my number comes up next year.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
Pherdnut, the Rivians will likely have a self-parking feature. You line up the truck, as you would if you were parallel parking, and let it park itself. For some self-parking capable vehicles, you don't even have to be in the vehicle when it parks itself. You exit, initiate the self-parking feature, by using your phone, and walk away. Pretty cool.

CappyJax

Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
If they can get a 6,000 pound tow rating out of the rally car, plus a 30 amp plug in for an RV, I would be sold.

Nuclearn8

First Name
Nate
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicles
'17 GX460, '05 Corolla
YES YES YES! I want one. Rivian is not taking preorder reservations yet, I asked.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
A slightly elevated ground clearance compared to other BEV CUV would be a benefit for those living where snow and winter is a yearly manner. Another question remains at what price point will this vehicle arrive at?