Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I like physical buttons but don't see Rivian changing it. Tesla hasn't and it doesn't seem to hurt their sales.
I think Rivian could have added a few more buttons or knobs, primarily for climate control, but that said I'd vastly prefer no buttons to the Hummer set up which, to me, looks like something that George Lucas designed.
Sponsored

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Look, we can nit pick the review all day long. But for me the big picture is this: incredibly positive reviews from OutofSpec, Munro Live, and Motor Trend represent millions of dollars worth of free marketing that I hope boost reservations and sales.
Each of these I read confirms I made the right decision.
Of course, I rather be driving it than reading about it...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I thought I needed physical buttons before I got a model Y. Now I get in an ICE rental and think "WTF".

The only physical control I would add to the model Y is wiper speed
I can do without many physical buttons... But something to adjust screen brightness would be much appreciated, for me. I adjust my brightness multiple times when driving at night. Full brightness to use the camera, and all the way down otherwise.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
2. Rivian and RJ in an interview specifically said they went this route because a physical button is now locked into that physical task. You can never change its function. It can never be something else. A screen you can change the layout, add more features, remove (or add) complexity. This isn't a mistake, its an intentional design decision. You can say it was a design mistake if you'd like, but when you look at the intention behind the design decision, it makes perfect sense to me.
I think you're missing the point. It most obviously was intentional by Rivian. I am aware of RJ's comments regarding it. This is exactly why it's been a hot topic. The intention does make sense, there is no question about that. The point is however, that even though it makes sense and was intentional, doesn't mean it was the correct decision. Consumers and reviewers alike are not happy about it. Every single review I have watched (I think I've watched all of them) mention this exact frustration. Clearly RJ needs to listen to the customers more on this topic. He isn't Steve Jobs and inventing something entirely new...he isn't in a position where consumers don't know what they want, so he has to tell them what they want.
Control knobs in cars have been highly studied and scrutinized for years.
Just google "volume knob in car" and you'll see countless articles and discussions on the matter...all of which conclude that they are necessary.

Here's just a few:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/attention-automakers-never-get-rid-volume-knobs-281474979881579
https://www.wardsauto.com/wardsauto-ux-conference/tomorrow-s-vehicles-may-lose-buttons-and-knobs
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/why-are-automakers-replacing-buttons-with-touchscreens/

I think it's safe to say Rivian made the wrong choice here. And it was an intentional choice as you so wisely pointed out.

My two cents: RJ is correct in the long term, no doubt. But he is building and delivering cars today, not 10 years from now. Consumers today want physical knobs. Why? Because the other replacement tech (voice control, gestures, digital touchscreens, etc.) all have issues and just isn't capable yet to replace physical feedback. Right now, they are great supplements, but not replacements. In 10 years, it might be a different story.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Rivian for the win! 😎

Again, again and again.

Sponsored

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Well written article. Refreshing, as most reporters just copy someone else's work and repurposes it. Agree, makes me fell like I made the right decision.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
2. Rivian and RJ in an interview specifically said they went this route because a physical button is now locked into that physical task. You can never change its function. It can never be something else. A screen you can change the layout, add more features, remove (or add) complexity. This isn't a mistake, its an intentional design decision. You can say it was a design mistake if you'd like, but when you look at the intention behind the design decision, it makes perfect sense to me.
I don't understand this logic at all, unless you're physically labeling the button(s). The button connects to a computer and the computer can do whatever you want with that input, just like the steering wheel controls do different things on different screens. If they'd admitted that it's just cheaper to build this way, then fine, I can see that. Technology is supposed to make things easier and safer, and this design does neither.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
The Rivian has shown really well. This review was nice and predictable, but still good to read. Hoping the tonneau cover issue is worked out, because it's a must have for me.
See how bad the Hummer fared with weight in the bed? Slow. The Rivian still hit 60 at dual motor pace with 1500# in the bed - wow. Way more important than the acceleration is the glowing suspension/handling commentary - this is a real value item imo. A car with loose floppy suspension is a waste.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I don't understand this logic at all, unless you're physically labeling the button(s). The button connects to a computer and the computer can do whatever you want with that input, just like the steering wheel controls do different things on different screens. If they'd admitted that it's just cheaper to build this way, then fine, I can see that. Technology is supposed to make things easier and safer, and this design does neither.
Still got the Blackberry?

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
In the Motortrend article:
The R1T, on the other hand, has a 190-kW peak charge rate, but the automaker says it can increase the rate up to 300 kW via over-the-air software updates as more data on battery life comes in from customers.
They sure are sticking to that statement 😆, and then only have themselves as a reference. I trust Kyle from the Out of Spec folks MUCH more (and simple logic).

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I'll bite on this repeated debate :)

I think Tesla and Rivian's argument here is a bad one. For some things it is totally fine. I don't need a dedicated button to adjust my mirrors or my steering wheel position. Do that once per driver and save the profile. Totally makes sense.

However, show me a world in the next 10 years where I won't want to be able to adjust the temperature in the car? That isn't a function going away anytime soon. Having a dedicated button for that is just really nice to have. So yes, it is less flexible, but it also doesn't need to be flexible.

I kind of get taking the usability penalty for things like drive modes. Those will likely change with software over time, both in the modes available and the options for those modes. So dedicated buttons are limiting to future improvements. But climate controls? I don't buy it. It is worse usability. On the flip side it does slightly reduce cost and create a cleaner look. For some of these choices cost and aesthetics are winning out over function IMO.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
RE: Charging speed being 'not as good' as the Hummer
Let's do some quick math...
To charge 200 kwh at 300 kw, it takes roughly 0.74 hours.
To charge 135 kwh at 200 kw, it takes roughly 0.75 hours.
So - the actual advantage is slim and only applies on road trips at superchargers. At home the Hummer will charge slower than the Rivian. Right?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So - the actual advantage is slim and only applies on road trips at superchargers
It's not that simple. Charging curves are not linear. 300/200kW is the peak rate, but you don't sustain that for most of the charging curve.

At home the Hummer will charge slower than the Rivian. Right?
Yes and no.

Rivian maxes out at 11.5kW Level 2 charging -- that's 48A @ 240V. However, the GMC Hummer EV supports 19.2kW Level 2 charging -- 80A @ 240V.

If you use an EVSE that is 48A or less, then the Rivian will charge faster. But if you use an 80A EVSE, then the Hummer will charge faster.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

So - the actual advantage is slim and only applies on road trips at superchargers. At home the Hummer will charge slower than the Rivian. Right?
As mentioned above by @CommodoreAmiga , the numbers aren't that simple, however, if you look at efficiency I think your conclusion is accurate.

At highway speeds Out of Spec saw 2.2 or 2.3 mi / kWh for the R1T. The EPA estimated range divided by the usable portion of the battery pack for the hummer show it at 1.55 mi / kWh. I haven't been able to find better real world data than that, but even using the EPA estimate, the Hummer would have to charge 50% faster than the Rivian on average in order to regain range at the same rate due to the increased consumption.

That said, I think most people comparing the two's charging rates are doing so to say "Hey, Rivian could have done better here. It should be able to charge faster. Look at the Taycan and the Hummer, they charge so much faster" not to say "the Hummer is a better roadtrip car because it regains range faster than the Rivian"

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I’m hugely biased but, to me, all the launch modes are like John Wick using Barney Fife's ammunition strategy.
Man, that's a reference I'm sure not many will get, I like it though! Then again, this is probably a mix of older crowd and younger so maybe half of us will get it. ;)
I agree ... btw ... who is John Wick :)
Sponsored