Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I don’t do any recovery, so asking to be educated. Would you have the same concerns if he used a shackle hitch? (Ie, concerns about snapping a pin) or is this more about the weakness in the weld of the ball?
I cringed when I saw it as well the problem becomes the bolt part snaps then a heavy ball becomes a projectile. usually going through the back window of the other truck. there is a lot of stored energy when doing these things or a vehicle recovery.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

and it probably has fewer service appointments per vehicle than the rivian though.
I haven’t been tracking the Lightning’s reliability, but new cars, regardless of brand, frequently have a higher number of issues. Our Bronco has been back to service four times in the five months we’ve had it for various issues.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I haven’t been tracking the Lightning’s reliability, but new cars, regardless of brand, frequently have a higher number of issues. Our Bronco has been back to service four times in the five months we’ve had it for various issues.
True, but the rivian is 100% new and the lightning isn’t.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I cringed when I saw it as well the problem becomes the bolt part snaps then a heavy ball becomes a projectile. usually going through the back window of the other truck. there is a lot of stored energy when doing these things or a vehicle recovery.
So a shackle hitch wouldn't be good either right? I'd imagine that can also snap, either at the pin or at the bolts.

What would be the proper way? Double shackle to the hitch directly?

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
So a shackle hitch wouldn't be good either right? I'd imagine that can also snap, either at the pin or at the bolts.

A D ring shackle mount designed to be used in a hitch would be appropriate. You can see in the video that a shackle was used through the safety chain loop, which is not okay. Doesn't the rivian recovery kit come with a factor 55 hitch mount?

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The incident I mentioned was using a drop-hitch which is actually worse because the force is put into a lever arm up to the receiver. The shackle hitch goes straight into the receiver at least, so it's still better. A soft shackle around a hitch pin may be safer from a mass perspective, but a soft shackle to a rated recovery point is the best option as on the front bumper. The issue is also with a kinetic recovery the forces can be magnified when you hit the end of the line, etc.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The incident I mentioned was using a drop-hitch which is actually worse because the force is put into a lever arm up to the receiver. The shackle hitch goes straight into the receiver at least, so it's still better. A soft shackle around a hitch pin may be safer from a mass perspective, but a soft shackle to a rated recovery point is the best option as on the front bumper. The issue is also with a kinetic recovery the forces can be magnified when you hit the end of the line, etc.
Do we have a recovery point in the rear? Or is the soft shackle/hitch pin the best of available options there?
Sponsored