Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Announced at: https://northamericancaroftheyear.org/2022-nactoy-semifinalists/

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T up against 5 other semifinalists for North American Truck of the Year ropped-SOCIAL-MEDIA-NEW-ORDER-ENGLISH-2-1-1024x341

NACTOY Names 23 Semifinalists for 2022 Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year Awards™

Eight cars, six trucks and nine utility vehicles will vie for awards

PONTIAC
, September 21, 2021 – The North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year™ (NACTOY) Awards organization announced its list of semifinalists today at the inaugural Motor Bella event at M1 Concourse in Pontiac.

This year, 23 new vehicles made the list of semifinalists for the 2022 awards following a vote of the organization’s jurors. The list includes eight cars, six trucks and nine utility vehicles that are all new or substantially new and are or will be on sale in showrooms across North America this year. The semifinalists were voted in from an initial list of 36 eligible cars, trucks and utility vehicles announced earlier this year.

“This year’s group of semifinalists includes some of the most interesting and innovative cars, trucks and utility vehicle candidates in recent memory,” said NACTOY President Gary Witzenburg, “and a larger number of new trucks than we’ve seen in many years. And it features more electric vehicles than we’ve ever seen, all of which our jurors will continue to test and evaluate prior to our next vote.”

NACTOY’s awards are unique because they are not decided by a single publication. Instead, they are evaluated throughout the year by 50 respected jurors from print, online, radio and broadcast media across the U.S. and Canada. Those jurors vote three times during the year to reduce the list of eligible vehicles down to semifinalists, finalists and, finally, winners.

“I would also like to thank Rod Alberts, executive director of the Detroit Auto Dealers Association, for the opportunity to announce our semifinalists here today at Motor Bella,” Witzenburg said. “We traditionally announce our winners at the Detroit auto show in January, and it is thrilling to kick off our core evaluation period here today at this all-new event.”

The next step in the process is an annual comparison drive that will take place Oct. 18-21, where jurors will evaluate the semifinalist vehicles before voting to select the three finalists in each group. The finalists will be announced at the LA Auto Show on November 17, and winners will be announced in January 2022 during an event hosted by the Detroit Auto Dealers Association in Detroit.

Here is the full list of our 2022 Semifinalists:

North American Car of the Year™

Audi A3
Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
Genesis G70
Honda Civic
Lucid Air
Mercedes-Benz EQS
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Volkswagen Golf Mk VIII (Golf R/Golf GTI)

North American Truck of the Year™
Ford Maverick
GMC HUMMER EV
Hyundai Santa Cruz
Nissan Frontier
Rivian R1T
Toyota Tundra

North American Utility Vehicle of the Year™
Ford Bronco
Genesis GV70
Hyundai IONIQ 5
Hyundai Tucson (HEV/ICE/PHEV)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (ICE, PHEV, L)
Jeep Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer
Kia Carnival
Nissan Pathfinder
VW ID.4
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Rivian's ToY winner hands-down

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
So many things to question about this listing...

A. Hummer EV should be in the SUV Category
2. Maverick (or Hummer for that matter) has not started delivering yet.
C. Nissan still makes the Pathfinder? And Frontier!?!
4. Apparently VDUb Golfs are up to gen Ocho now?!?
5. Based on the fact that it's hosted by DADA is unlikely that any EV of any flavor will win any category.

That's all the Ranty McRanterson I have for now...there could be many others that fall under the same categories as above which make no sense to me to be in the running even Ioniq 5 which is a solid EV offering.

Regardless, here's my vote for each category..

1. Lucid Air
2. Duh
3. Kind of a tie between Ioniq 5 and ID4 though the edge goes to ID4 because we know for a fact that it's out now but wait if it's for Model Year 2022 how why would ID4...thought it was a 21?!? Now I'm very confused.

Also how is the F150 Standard or Lightning not on there?!?

??✌?‍♂?

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

5. Based on the fact that it's hosted by DADA is unlikely that any EV of any flavor will win any category.
A. The initial version of the Hummer EV has a bed and therefore falls under the truck category. The SUV version comes later.
2. There is no requirement that vehicles be available for purchase, just that a production-ready version is available for the test drives.
5. The host of the award does not influence the results. It is automotive journalists that vote for the award, and EVs have won in the past. I would not count Rivian out for this point.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So many things to question about this listing...

C. Nissan still makes the Pathfinder? And Frontier!?!
4. Apparently VDUb Golfs are up to gen Ocho now?!?

That's all the Ranty McRanterson I have for now...there could be many others that fall under the same categories as above which make no sense to me to be in the running even Ioniq 5 which is a solid EV offering.

Regardless, here's my vote for each category..

1. Lucid Air
2. Duh
3. Kind of a tie between Ioniq 5 and ID4 though the edge goes to ID4 because we know for a fact that it's out now but wait if it's for Model Year 2022 how why would ID4...thought it was a 21?!? Now I'm very confused.

Also how is the F150 Standard or Lightning not on there?!?

??✌?‍♂?
The Hummer Pickup truck is coming out this year. The Hummer SUV isn't supposed to hit the market until 2023.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Any speculation as to why the R1S isn't in the finalist list for Utility Vehicle of the Year?

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Gotta be a dead heat between the Hummer and R1T. I have no idea how that ends up, automotive journalists have a symbiotic relationship with the manufacturers and GM has influence.

The Hummer has interesting features, its NOT for me in almost any way but I get why some people like it.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Any speculation as to why the R1S isn't in the finalist list for Utility Vehicle of the Year?
It wasn't even on the initial list of candidates. Either they weren't expecting it to be available in time to test this year, or they purposely withheld it for inclusion in next year's award.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This was discussed elsewhere, to be included they had to have a production spec vehicle ready for testing in the September to October time frame and R1S is not available.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My take is that it is between the R1T, Maverick and the Santa Cruz. I don’t think the Tundra/Frontier did anything that noteworthy and the Hummer is a monstrosity. I personally think the R1T is the winner here based on the reviews but the Maverick might get it based on bringing a hybrid pickup at such a low price point.

Sponsored

zipityzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Private

??✌?‍♂?
Huh? In 3 of the past 5 years, an EV was selected as a winner.
  • 2021 SUV Winner: Ford Mustang Mach E
  • 2019 SUV Winner: Hyundai Kona / Kona EV
  • 2017 Car Winner: Chevrolet Bolt
I don't know where the "EVs are victimized during NACTOY" mindset is from, but EVs are relatively well represented. Just last year:

“The Mustang Mach-E leapfrogs European EVs as the Tesla Model Y’s most formidable challenger yet. Like Tesla, Mach-E understands that the premium EV market is as much about interior tech as it is about torque,” said Detroit News Auto Critic and NACTOY juror Henry Payne.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T up against 5 other semifinalists for North American Truck of the Year Winner-Ford-Mach-E7-768x960

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Huh? In 3 of the past 5 years, an EV was selected as a winner.
  • 2021 SUV Winner: Ford Mustang Mach E
  • 2019 SUV Winner: Hyundai Kona / Kona EV
  • 2017 Car Winner: Chevrolet Bolt
I don't know where the "EVs are victimized during NACTOY" mindset is from, but EVs are relatively well represented. Just last year:

Winner-Ford-Mach-E7-768x960.jpg
Apparently I was in a cynical, dark, uneducated place when I replied to this thread originally.

Good to see such Motor City progress. ?✌?⚡?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

My take is that it is between the R1T, Maverick and the Santa Cruz. I don’t think the Tundra/Frontier did anything that noteworthy and the Hummer is a monstrosity. I personally think the R1T is the winner here based on the reviews but the Maverick might get it based on bringing a hybrid pickup at such a low price point.
The Tundra and Frontier are total redesigns. The Tundra is available as a hybrid. I don’t think the Frontier brings enough to the table to get an award. It carries over 100% of its old drivetrain.

Totally agree on the Hummer. It’s got a ton of gadgets but nothing that is nearly as practical as what the R1T is doing. The Maverick is probably the closest competition. It’s a very simple and affordable truck. Ford has a real winner with that one.
Sponsored