Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I have had my R1T for about 3 weeks now and have put about 2000 miles on it. I have the 21 inch road tires and all these trips were in conserve mode at the Low ride height. In all cases I am very impressed with the efficiency and range.

My road trip log has nine trips of greater than 100 miles. I have done trips with a bike rack or a bed top tent or with no mounted gear. My three best efficiencies came with no mounted gear. The Thule tent looks to cut the efficiency ~5 to 10%. I tried to note if there were headwinds/tailwinds as that makes as much or more of a difference than mounted gear.

The length of the bars in the graph is proportional to the efficiency as reported by the on-board trip computer. The speed is the avg speed as reported by the trip computer. Much of the driving to the cabin and camping was on I-35 with the cruise control set to 70mph. But in most cases there was also a good chunk of time on state highways at 55 to 60 mph with slowdowns between the small towns along the way.

Note 1: The trip with the tent was a camping trip to the Northshore of Lake Superior in MN and the trip was broken into two legs with a charging stop at Moose Lake, MN in each direction.

Note 2: The 180 mile trip with the really high efficiency was a 1 day out and back trip to a dog breeder to pick up the little gal in the attached photo. Her name is Luna and she is reported to have said her ride in the Rivian was the best car ride she has ever had!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T Road Trip Efficiency Logs @ 2000 Miles Rivian road trips

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T Road Trip Efficiency Logs @ 2000 Miles RTT

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T Road Trip Efficiency Logs @ 2000 Miles Luna
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
This is so useful! Thank you!

It turns out Im getting my truck 3 days before a trip up to Big Bear with the family. Ill be putting my Thule hitch rack on with 4 bikes. It should be interesting to see what kind of a hit all that hanging out there will be. Unfortunately I dont have an outlet at the cabin, but there are a couple random options up there I could use to add some miles back on if need be. Iā€™m about 120 miles each way, so I donā€™t anticipate any concerns.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Unbelievably good efficiency. So happy to see Rivian crushing it in this department!

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great data! Thank you for sharing it. And that puppy is so cute itā€™s making me sicko_O

OP
OP
Budman

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

The key word here is "unbelieveably".
Very high efficiency to be sure but very true. I keep the speed under 70 and as long as the Rivian trip computer is correct, these logs are correct. I've checked the numbers against the % of battery used and if the battery capacity is 125 kWh the efficiency numbers make sense.

On short trips I don't see this kind of efficiency.

A trip computer photo from 2 days ago. Level midwest terrain on a 55 mph speed limit state highway 80 deg and light winds.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T Road Trip Efficiency Logs @ 2000 Miles IMG_1843

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Love this! Will be replacing a Model X and it seems like we will only take a slight hit to efficiency. Although we (hopefully) will be getting the max pack. The extra weight will make these numbers just slightly worse.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
I averaged a little over 2.2 mi/kWh over pretty much the same terrain. Headed to Ely instead of the North Shore. My trip included my first launch - pretty memorable šŸ˜€ and passing where my backseat drivers said why didn't you just hit 100 - you were almost there! Other than that I was driving normally. Spent 90 minutes of quality time at that same charger in Moose Lake too.

Sponsored

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
This is great data, thanks, I really appreciate posts like this.! These numbers look a little higher than I've seen which shows what's possible with slower speeds, and conserve/low ride height. Btw did you notice any rougher ride quality or suspension bottoming out over bumps driving in low ride height? I saw someone mention that somewhere.

I eagerly await more data like this but with towing. I have been slowly finding bits of info but a lot of the tests are done at 70 or 75mph. I plan on driving 60 while towing my (3400lb) trailer, so I'm hoping with Max Pack I might get close to 175mi useable range.

Also, please consider getting your next pet from a shelter, there are so many wonderful dogs put to death every day waiting for someone to adopt them. Breeding is a cruel industry. ā™„šŸ•

OP
OP
Budman

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

This is great data, thanks, I really appreciate posts like this.! These numbers look a little higher than I've seen which shows what's possible with slower speeds, and conserve/low ride height. Btw did you notice any rougher ride quality or suspension bottoming out over bumps driving in low ride height? I saw someone mention that somewhere.

I eagerly await more data like this but with towing. I have been slowly finding bits of info but a lot of the tests are done at 70 or 75mph. I plan on driving 60 while towing my (3400lb) trailer, so I'm hoping with Max Pack I might get close to 175mi useable range.

Also, please consider getting your next pet from a shelter, there are so many wonderful dogs put to death every day waiting for someone to adopt them. Breeding is a cruel industry. ā™„šŸ•
I usually ride in low, not lowest. Lowest is noticeably harsher. A sure way to higher efficiency is to slow down a bit.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
I usually ride in low, not lowest. Lowest is noticeably harsher. A sure way to higher efficiency is to slow down a bit.
Thanks! Ah yeah that makes sense now. I think the thing I watched they were saying "Lowest" caused the issues.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer

I was expecting the lowest suspension to be really harsh based on what I heard. On my truck, it is totally fine except for things like potholes. The "soft" suspension setting in my truck is not quite as soft as I was expecting to be though.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Great data. Thank you sharing...makes me want to switch back to the 21s...
Sponsored