First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
You are correct, our R1T manual discourages tow charging. Our engineers have determined it could damage both vehicles.
I strongly suspect that for "engineers" we should insert "lawyers".

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Regarding towing: So the only approved method is a flatbed. No flat towing, no tow-charging. Would someone going to the demo drive this week please ask — so, what exactly are the front tow hooks for? Just for flatbed winching? Otherwise just decorative? Enlighten me.
I can't speak to the R1T, but I've used front tow hooks both to help pull other people out of stuck situations, and also seen them used to pull a vehicle out of a small ditch. If you have LONG items on the roof rack (such as a kayak) you can also use them to attach tie-down rope.

When towing any distance you'll want to flat-bed. But if you need to go a SHORT distance (100' or less, perhaps) and you're going to do it SLOWLY (<4mph I think is mentioned in the manual, iirc) then you may need to use the recovery hooks. "Gotta do what you gotta do" right?

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
What's the purpose for the dual 12v batteries instead of just one? They look skinny like a UPS battery backup. They li-ion as well?

Based on being able to charge just one, or either, they're both 12v, and not two 6v or 24v run in series or parallel.

Shown on pages 167-168.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
What's the purpose for the dual 12v batteries instead of just one? They look skinny like a UPS battery backup. They li-ion as well?

Based on being able to charge just one, or either, they're both 12v, and not two 6v or 24v run in series or parallel.

Shown on pages 167-168.
I was wondering the same. My guess is to have the capacity to be winch-ready. There's no alternator (in an ICE, you'd be idling the engine when winching), and it's unlikely the DC-DC converter is a suitable replacement for one for that kind of a load.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I was wondering the same. My guess is to have the capacity to be winch-ready. There's no alternator (in an ICE, you'd be idling the engine when winching), and it's unlikely the DC-DC converter is a suitable replacement for one for that kind of a load.
definitely 2 12v batteries for packaging reasons. A single one would be too bulky

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not too surprised about tow charging since I always thought it looked incredibly dangerous.

I've never pulled someone from a ditch, but I'd think it would be way easier to do if attached at the front though because then you can clearly see rope tension and how the other vehicle is responding to the pull. I have needed to be pulled from a snow ditch once and the guy pulling me almost pulled me into another truck that stopped to help because he couldn't see very well.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Photos were mentioned. Blueassassin and GIJoe each posted some nice ones. View attachment 9435 View attachment 9428
Super happy to see the split in the seat lift.

I'd assumed that since I'll be in carseat hell, I wouldn't be able to access the undersea storage.

By the time I get my truck one of my kids will be out of their carseat, and therefore his side will be the "lift to access storage" side, even though the other side will remain encumbered by a carseat.

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I've never pulled someone from a ditch, but I'd think it would be way easier to do if attached at the front though because then you can clearly see rope tension and how the other vehicle is responding to the pull.
Are you forgetting about the two cameras facing backwards? I'd hope you could pull those up and see things like rope tension and how the towed vehicle is doing.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score