eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

That’s fine. But the Tesla system is the gold standard. And I believe Rivian is copying their system.
I, too, prefer the two pedal systems, so maybe there will be software options down the road. The Taycan has an incredible system (this article does a good job detailing it) and it’d be nice to see something similar from Rivian. I guess we’ll see, but it seems to be a personal preference what folks prefer.
Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I, too, prefer the two pedal systems, so maybe there will be software options down the road. The Taycan has an incredible system (this article does a good job detailing it) and it’d be nice to see something similar from Rivian. I guess we’ll see, but it seems to be a personal preference what folks prefer.
Yes that is what I was talking about as well. I share your preference.

I think the ideal situation is well implemented blended breaking where friction brakes are only used when the regen is insufficient. Then lift off regen is configurable. People who want 1 pedal driving can crank it up, people who want to coast and control regen via the brake pedal can tone it down.

That said I don’t think software is likely to change this in the Rivian. It is probably possible to OTA update the braking system to do so but I would bet against it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes that is what I was talking about as well. I share your preference.

I think the ideal situation is well implemented blended breaking where friction brakes are only used when the regen is insufficient. Then lift off regen is configurable. People who want 1 pedal driving can crank it up, people who want to coast and control regen via the brake pedal can tone it down.

That said I don’t think software is likely to change this in the Rivian. It is probably possible to OTA update the braking system to do so but I would bet against it.
That's normally how it works. It's how the ID.4 works. Which is why it's a little tricky for manufacturers to nail because you're suddenly adding another break source. My xc60 T8 is not great at it. The ID.4 is pretty good.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That's normally how it works. It's how the ID.4 works. Which is why it's a little tricky for manufacturers to nail because you're suddenly adding another break source. My xc60 T8 is not great at it. The ID.4 is pretty good.
Yes the ID.4 is decent. On occasion (usually at very very low speeds) the friction brakes engaging is noticeable. However most of the time the feeling of the brake is very linear, responsive and the mix of regen and friction brakes is well managed.

The VW however doesn’t have a mode where lift off regen is strong enough for one pedal driving. For some that is a miss. I think they should have had higher max regeneration available as a configuration setting. The way they do it is great for me, but it doesn’t cover others preference well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes the ID.4 is decent. On occasion (usually at very very low speeds) the friction brakes engaging is noticeable. However most of the time the feeling of the brake is very linear, responsive and the mix of regen and friction brakes is well managed.

The VW however doesn’t have a mode where lift off regen is strong enough for one pedal driving. For some that is a miss. I think they should have had higher max regeneration available as a configuration setting. The way they do it is great for me, but it doesn’t cover others preference well.
Yep. And they can enable it if they want. It's annoying. Their desire to hide that it's an EV is my biggest annoyance with it. And the lack of lights on the volume and temp selectors.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yep. And they can enable it if they want. It's annoying. Their desire to hide that it's an EV is my biggest annoyance with it. And the lack of lights on the volume and temp selectors.
And the fact that the steering wheel audio controls have left and right be volume down and up respectively and up is last track and down is next track. It is like a moron picked steering wheel control placement. Not to mention the stupid way the driver controls the rear windows. Or the laggy touch screen… But now I am ranting about a different car…..

Those complaints aside I like the car. It was more my wife’s pick than mine, but it has grown on me. (I probably would have picked the mach e over it, but it is her car)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
And the fact that the steering wheel audio controls have left and right be volume down and up respectively and up is last track and down is next track. It is like a moron picked steering wheel control placement. Not to mention the stupid way the driver controls the rear windows. Or the laggy touch screen… But now I am ranting about a different car…..

Those complaints aside I like the car. It was more my wife’s pick than mine, but it has grown on me. (I probably would have picked the mach e over it, but it is her car)
Lol, yeah. Definitely some weird quirks. I actually don’t have any noticeable lag on mine most the time. Mandriva Auto volume does get stuck, but the fix is easy.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
The key FOB not having passive entry/start is a pretty big disappointment. Tesla tried the same thing with the Model 3 and pretty quickly reversed course and came out with a passive FOB. Hopefully if there is enough demand, Rivian can do the same and come out with a passive FOB.

The included charger is also quite disappointing. It only supports 5-15 and 14-50 outlets. I will probably replace it with a Tesla mobile charger which officially supports 8 different outlet types and unofficially supports many more with 3rd party adapters.
Deleted, incorrect.

Last edited:

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I was happy to see reference to both front and rear fog lights - have not read about those previously.

For windshield defog/defrost the functions seem overly complex - 3 different number of button presses at two different temperature ranges. I would prefer a hardware solution for HVAC controls...

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I’ve never seen such a complicated way to engage child locks - has anyone else? Strange this isn’t just software driven. Maybe it will be eventually.
I may be one of the few that actually likes this. I had a depressed teenager with thoughts of throwing herself out of a moving car. Too easy for her to flip the child lock on the door side, had me always double checking. This would have been a life saver. Fringe use case, I know...

Edit: yes, dark humor pun intended...

Last edited:

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
If MotorTrend is right, that's a very impressive average charging speed. Assuming 133kwh total, 60% means nearly 80kwh. In 30 minutes. So an average rate of 160kw.
After I posted the above I decided to do the math for range.

And this is where things get a little disappointing.

60% of 314mi (500km) is close to 190mi (305km). In 30 mins. So it's definitely average, but not reason enough to cancel my R1S reservation.

I'm curious to see if the Hummer will do better with its 800V pack.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A blend of modes was used for the EPA estimate
Source?
This is unlikely and would be a first for any manufacturer.

Edit: Saw this answered later with "CS". This is one of the times I think someone strayed from the script and got it wrong.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I feel like the biggest disappointment is that the seat adjustment is locked at speed. Why?
I am hoping this is just for the preset settings because on long road trips or after a particularly indulgent BBQ dinner I often need to move the seat at speed....
Sponsored