Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Would an NFC wristband need an FCC ID? Because it is not listed in the table at the end, which led me to believe a wristband was not included.
It probably has the same chip in it as the keycard, thusly not requiring a separate ID. My uneducated guess.
Sponsored

RegReader

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3
Biggest disappointment is the regen breaking options. I personally prefer very low regen settings so I can coast (this is more efficient than regen) and then for blended breaking to allow me to choose when to engage regen by pressing the break gently. EDIT: Just read the "charging" section. It gets worse. The charging section implies that the break pedal just engages friction brakes, not regen. Not happy about this at all. My ID.4 has blended breaking and the ability to have very low regen when not pressing the pedals. I really like this setup and find it superior to the craze of one pedal driving systems. This is a big miss for me.
Can you explain why low regen and coasting is more efficient? I would have assumed that holding the accelerator in a “neutral” position such that you have no acceleration and little to no regen would accomplish exactly the same thing. In an EV, the motor has to provide some energy to “coast” like this, regardless of your regen setting, as the motor naturally wants to resist the inertia of the turning wheels to recover electricity.

As for the blended braking, this one I have some insight on, as I suspect it comes down to a regulatory issue. For vehicles that use blended braking, the European braking regulation requires that the ABS system have control of the regen braking. Meaning if Rivian is sourcing their ABS from a supplier (as most OEMs do), then they would basically have to go through that supplier to implement their own regen mappings - something most OEMs wouldn’t want to do. I imagine VW and Bosch (assuming that’s who provides the ID.4 brakes controllers) have a pretty close relationship, so this isn’t as big a problem for them. The regs are different in the US, but Rivian won’t want to redevelop the entire braking system when they eventually go enter the EU market.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
FYI -

Blind spot warnings shut off over 112mph... when in Off Road mode.

RegReader

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3
My understanding is that you can't certify with the EPA if any "eco" modes are used, so there probably IS some range to be gained here.
Not exactly. EPA will make you test in whatever mode is “predominant.” Usually this means whatever mode is the key-on default. Depending on how they implement that mode, and how much margin they had to their stated targets, they may or may not have made that mode the key-on default. Usually a range maximization mode will compromise on things like HVAC power and max acceleration, so not necessarily something they’d want to force you to change every cold morning or hot afternoon!

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
And they will continue to do so for the next 10+ years. With modern car manufacturers moving to significant OTA updates, it isn't going to make since to ship a printed "book" that explains how all the software works. It'd be out of date by the time your vehicle is delivered.
Please don’t be so sure that years of over the air updates will improve your truck.
I can tell you for experience it did it do my car any good.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
One of the motortrend guys said the vehicle is capable of taking 300kw fast charges, but that it’s throttled for now until Rivian gets battery use/performer data and that the intent is to unlock that in the future. This was during their ama on Reddit today
That makes me nervous. Of true, it’s says a lot about Rivian and the amount of real expertise they have.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Can you explain why low regen and coasting is more efficient? I would have assumed that holding the accelerator in a “neutral” position such that you have no acceleration and little to no regen would accomplish exactly the same thing. In an EV, the motor has to provide some energy to “coast” like this, regardless of your regen setting, as the motor naturally wants to resist the inertia of the turning wheels to recover electricity.

As for the blended braking, this one I have some insight on, as I suspect it comes down to a regulatory issue. For vehicles that use blended braking, the European braking regulation requires that the ABS system have control of the regen braking. Meaning if Rivian is sourcing their ABS from a supplier (as most OEMs do), then they would basically have to go through that supplier to implement their own regen mappings - something most OEMs wouldn’t want to do. I imagine VW and Bosch (assuming that’s who provides the ID.4 brakes controllers) have a pretty close relationship, so this isn’t as big a problem for them. The regs are different in the US, but Rivian won’t want to redevelop the entire braking system when they eventually go enter the EU market.
You are 100% correct, maintaining a perfectly neutral position in a one pedal driving setup should be the same as coasting. I just find it way harder to do so than simply taking my foot off the accelerator. I probably would learn to do so, but I have tried on my VW and don’t like it. If I want to slow down slowly in the most efficient way possible, I want to coast. I think having “provide power” in one pedal and “slow down” via another pedal is a better use experience than needing to thread the needle with one pedal. Blended breaking is an elegant solution to doing so with efficient regeneration.

That said your explanation on why blended breaking is not available does shed new light on to that situation that I didn’t know. I appreciate that and it explains why VW/Audi seem to be different than many other EVs.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I thought the Motor Trend guys and maybe also @DuckTruck mentioned there were about 4 regen settings, but according to the manual there are only 2 (high and standard)

brakes.png
Same as my Tesla. I toggle my down for freeway driving.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
So I guess I can't just pull the plug out?

Stop a Charge Session

1. Go to the Energy menu
2. select stop charge
3. press button on pull handle and remove.
Well. that’s a security feature. A good thing.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I can't tell if this system only identifies a low tire pressure in any tire and does not tell you which tire it is. This seems to be the trend with newer vehicles which I don't like. Rather have the pressure listed for each tire and for it to tell me which tire is low and the pressure in that tire
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 1632544182802
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 1632544182802

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Biggest disappointment so far is they say that all the 120V outlets share a maximum of 1500W. Was really hoping there would be more than one circuit. At least it's possible to leave the 120V stuff on all of the time, even if it does drain battery if not actually in use.
That’s still 10A, what exactly are you planning to run??

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Minor question: can i use the compressor to fill up my inflatable SUP :) Time to go adapter hunting.
You can, I use a battery op Dewalt compressor for my BOTE. It takes a while with mine hopefully the Rivian will have a better air flow rate. I currently use the manual pump up to 8-10psi and use the compressor to finish. You will need one of these likely (unless it is an included accessory):

https://redoriginal.com/products/rpc-schrader-valve-adaptor

Check Amazon for a variety of options.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I can't tell if this system only identifies a low tire pressure in any tire and does not tell you which tire it is. This seems to be the trend with newer vehicles which I don't like. Rather have the pressure listed for each tire and for it to tell me which tire is low and the pressure in that tire
1632544182802.png
1632544182802.png
"With individual tire pressure display."

I suspect you can see the individual pressures in the vehicle details on the infotainment system any time you want and that the dummy light comes on when any tire is low.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
You are 100% correct, maintaining a perfectly neutral position in a one pedal driving setup should be the same as coasting. I just find it way harder to do so than simply taking my foot off the accelerator. I probably would learn to do so, but I have tried on my VW and don’t like it. If I want to slow down slowly in the most efficient way possible, I want to coast. I think having “provide power” in one pedal and “slow down” via another pedal is a better use experience than needing to thread the needle with one pedal. Blended breaking is an elegant solution to doing so with efficient regeneration.

That said your explanation on why blended breaking is not available does shed new light on to that situation that I didn’t know. I appreciate that and it explains why VW/Audi seem to be different than many other EVs.
I wouldn’t compare the Rivian system to VW or AudI. It’s Tesla that is the comparison.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

You can, I use a battery op Dewalt compressor for my BOTE. It takes a while with mine hopefully the Rivian will have a better air flow rate. I currently use the manual pump up to 8-10psi and use the compressor to finish. You will need one of these likely (unless it is an included accessory):

https://redoriginal.com/products/rpc-schrader-valve-adaptor

Check Amazon for a variety of options.
Awesome! I already have a pump that came with my board and it only takes 8-10 minutes, but if I could use the car compressor without having to bring another device I would love it.
Sponsored