Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The key FOB not having passive entry/start is a pretty big disappointment. Tesla tried the same thing with the Model 3 and pretty quickly reversed course and came out with a passive FOB. Hopefully if there is enough demand, Rivian can do the same and come out with a passive FOB.

The included charger is also quite disappointing. It only supports 5-15 and 14-50 outlets. I will probably replace it with a Tesla mobile charger which officially supports 8 different outlet types and unofficially supports many more with 3rd party adapters.
Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Just in case you were curious where the tires are… (excited to read through - this just cracked me up for some reason)

73B88E52-1BEF-4457-A97C-E0E29669AE1B.jpeg
And why only the rear tire? Huh

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I will probably replace it with a Tesla mobile charger which officially supports 8 different outlet types and unofficially supports many more with 3rd party adapters.
How many outlet types are there in the U.S.? I only know of 3.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The key FOB not having passive entry/start is a pretty big disappointment. Tesla tried the same thing with the Model 3 and pretty quickly reversed course and came out with a passive FOB. Hopefully if there is enough demand, Rivian can do the same and come out with a passive FOB.

The included charger is also quite disappointing. It only supports 5-15 and 14-50 outlets. I will probably replace it with a Tesla mobile charger which officially supports 8 different outlet types and unofficially supports many more with 3rd party adapters.
Stick an adaptor on the supplied plug. NBD.

Dspending on the connector they’re using to plug the pigtail in, one Can probably find other options.

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Regarding the lack of a passive key fob, I belive after a relatively deep read you just need to pull on the door handle twice with the fob in close proximity.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How many outlet types are there in the U.S.? I only know of 3.
  • 5-15 is your "normal" 120V, 15 amp outlet
  • 5-20 is an 20amp, 120V outlet. A lot of houses have these in the garage. You can plug a 5-15 plug into a 5-20 outlet, but you will get less charge than you could with a 5-20 outlet.
  • 10-30 is a 30 amp, 240V outlets commonly used for clothes dryers (in older homes). Also at many RV parks.
  • 14-30 is a 30 amp, 240V outlets commonly used for clothes dryers in newer home.
  • 6-50 is a 50 amp, 240V outlet. Frequently used for welding machines and as such, you might find one in or near a garage.

Many houses have dryer in/near garage. My Model 3 has spent a lot of time charging from 10-30 and 14-30 outlets.

There are many other types, but the options above are the ones i have seen the most in my travels.

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Stick an adaptor on the supplied plug. NBD.

Dspending on the connector they’re using to plug the pigtail in, one Can probably find other options.
And unless the outlet can handle a sustained 32 amp load the breaker will immediately blow.

There are lots 240V, 30amp outlet out there. An adapter that lets you plug a 50 amp charger into a 30 amp outlet is not a good idea.

brian_c

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, Ford Ranger
I did not see anything about the Driver+ in particular - it outlined adaptive cruise control and highway assist, but min speed is 20mph which means it won't work in traffic. Am I missing something? I have been used to Tesla autopilot so was hoping Driver+ would at least be similar...

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Regarding the lack of a passive key fob, I belive after a relatively deep read you just need to pull on the door handle twice with the fob in close proximity.
What page of the user manual do you see that on? All I see is a chart which categorizes the FOB as "active" which is defined as "Press a button on the fob" and then a list of what each button on the FOB does. I do not see anything about the FOB unlocking the car by pulling on the handle.

Also, in the section on handels it says that the handles do not pop out unless the doors are unlocked. It sounds like it would not even be possible to pull on the door handle twice. while the doors were locked.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Every car I’ve had in the last decade has a separate book for that.
Yup, that is what I was implying in my comment - they released a bunch of guides in addition to the owner's manual and that list did not include a separate one on how to use the main display/console.

And they will continue to do so for the next 10+ years. With modern car manufacturers moving to significant OTA updates, it isn't going to make since to ship a printed "book" that explains how all the software works. It'd be out of date by the time your vehicle is delivered.
I mean, we're talking about a PDF doc that can easily be updated and re-uploaded online. I'm not saying I want a physical book to tell me how to use the infotainment system. Nor do I actually want the owner's guide, to be honest. I'm merely commenting on the fact that the information released today did not contain anything extensive about using the infotainment system.

Doesn't take away from the fact that there is a lot of great info in what they did release, so kudos to Rivian on that.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yup, that is what I was implying in my comment - they released a bunch of guides in addition to the owner's manual and that list did not include a separate one on how to use the main display/console.
ahh. Yeah. that’ll probably magically appear in a similar fashion in the next week

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I did not see anything about the Driver+ in particular - it outlined adaptive cruise control and highway assist, but min speed is 20mph which means it won't work in traffic. Am I missing something? I have been used to Tesla autopilot so was hoping Driver+ would at least be similar...
There was a bit about the adaptive cruise having a min 20mph speed but if there is a car detected in front of you then it doesn’t apply. So it should work in traffic.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 06E479DB-492C-4060-993E-42A188F62A09

AggieEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I was surprised (a little bit) to see how easy it was to get into the front trunk. Remove three screws and pull a cable. Couldn’t take very long, right? Might need to look into some security screws or another mechanism to keep it safe.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
There was a bit about the adaptive cruise having a min 20mph speed but if there is a car detected in front of you then it doesn’t apply. So it should work in traffic.

06E479DB-492C-4060-993E-42A188F62A09.jpeg
I think this is exactly same as my current car, 2020 Hyundai Palisade. It works perfectly in stop-and-go traffic with lane keep assist as well.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
So, anyone care about lack of some sort of advanced autopilot? It has lane keeping, but only in certain areas. That part was kinda vague in the manual, but it implies geolocking to known freeways.

Also the portable charger instructions doesn't have a way to set the amperage draw, so you can't charge from a 30A dryer plug.

1.5 kW 120V plug was disappointing. The Ford F150 Lightning will be the king of extracting power with its 30A 240V receptacle and a whopping 17.2 kW of power through the charge port.

I'm still looking forward to my R1S though. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much more than this. Hoping, but not expecting.
Sponsored

Last edited: