Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Saw this posted. Gear guard security footage not mentioned … might have caught the perpetrator. Feel bad but I also fear the R1T is going to draw the same Tesla jealousy/spite in public for awhile until they become more commonplace.

92F93873-2F1E-43D7-8F51-A3FDFE8A0011.png
That’s not an R1.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Thats not a Rivian…
Saw this posted. Gear guard security footage not mentioned … might have caught the perpetrator. Feel bad but I also fear the R1T is going to draw the same Tesla jealousy/spite in public for awhile until they become more commonplace.

92F93873-2F1E-43D7-8F51-A3FDFE8A0011.png

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Well there goes that idea. It could all be different by the time of my delivery though (Oct 2021 Max Pack pre-order). Though I must say I'm not putting faith in OTA updates to fix every short coming like it seems is the common response.
I expect OTA updates to resolve some (but not many) of the issues raised in this forum and elsewhere. My real hope is that mid-2021+ preorders will end up with some improved components, but I'm not counting on it.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I have a dumb question. (surprise, surprise)

In the charging section of the manual, it describes the process for ending a charge as:
Stop a charge session as follows:
1. Go to the Energy menu.
2. Select Stop Charge.
3. Press the button on the plug handle and pull on the handle to remove the charge cable.
4. Return the plug to the charger.
Does this mean that if my R1 is plugged in charging in my garage and I want to leave to run an errand, I first must get in the car, find the Energy menu, press the stop charge button, get out of the car, remove the plug, hang up the plug, get back in the car, and then I'm finally allowed to drive away?

I had always assumed that I could just unplug as I'm walking up to the drivers door, hop in, and bounce. I'm concerned if I have to take all of the steps above before I can get moving.

Anyone know if I'm reading too much into this?

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

In the charging section of the manual, it describes the process for ending a charge as:

Does this mean that if my R1 is plugged in charging in my garage and I want to leave to run an errand, I first must get in the car, find the Energy menu, press the stop charge button, get out of the car, remove the plug, hang up the plug, get back in the car, and then I'm finally allowed to drive away?

I had always assumed that I could just unplug as I'm walking up to the drivers door, hop in, and bounce. I'm concerned if I have to take all of the steps above before I can get moving.

God, I hope not. There should be a button you can press on the exterior to end the charge and release the plug. That would be a seriously annoying miss. If so, I'd at least hope the app has a stop charge button, which I assume it does for other reasons.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
God, I hope not. There should be a button you can press on the exterior to end the charge and release the plug. That would be a seriously annoying miss. If so, I'd at least hope the app has a stop charge button, which I assume it does for other reasons.
Maybe it's meant to be a security measure, so you can't just run up and unplug a charger from someone's car, but I agree it sounds annoying. Seems like tying it to the lock/unlock state of the truck would be a better solution.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

On our Teslas there is a "Stop Charging" button on the screen inside. This will officially "end" the charging so you can remove the cable, but I don't think you are required to use it. I can't recall ever using it. When we're done at a Supercharger I just get out and remove the cable using the button on the cable.

I will say that I have previously gotten an app notification that says "Charging Interrupted" when someone was borrowing the car and I assume that means they removed the cable without the "Stop Charging" button being used, but that may have been with using one of the adapters.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Maybe it's meant to be a security measure, so you can't just run up and unplug a charger from someone's car, but I agree it sounds annoying. Seems like tying it to the lock/unlock state of the truck would be a better solution.
Yes, that's right. I should specify, in my car and I'm sure others, it has to sense the key within proximity for it to release the cable. I'd want it to work that way, even if I left the vehicle unlocked for whatever reason.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

most EVs also unlock it whenever you unlock the doors. Some allow you set it to unlock automatically when it's done charging. I would have to believe at a minimum the former is implemented.

Sponsored

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...

With my Tesla I can just push the button on the charger and stop the charge but I have been told better to stop the charge
You can do it on your phone
Easier than getting into the vehicle
If you remember you can do it on your phone when walking to your car
I'm certain that I will be able to tell Alexa to stop the charging but we will see
Need to ask one of the Lucid owners the Lucid uses Alexa so I imagine they will have most of the same operations

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

There is a new version of the R1T manual that has been posted labelled December 7, 2021 (Software Version 2021.49.x) - R1T Manual

Here is a list of new and changed items:
  • New:
    • Flashlight will flash 3 times to indicate it has a low battery.
    • Now indicates that a highway assist icon will display when you are in an area where it is supported and are centered in the lane.
      • Warning added indicating that the assist feature may disengage at any time without warning.
    • New note indicating you can manually change the amperage draw amount to a lower value.
    • Indication on page 95 that you can view what range estimates are based on and can reset the historical data.
    • New grid on page 108 indicating what exterior storage is lockable and waterproof.
    • Snow traction device section added to page 151 including indication that you shouldn’t use chains/cables on the 20” tires, but “textile-based” devices can be used.
    • Commercial car wash section added to page 167
    • New section in towing about lifting the rear wheels in the event that the park brake can’t be disengaged.

• Changed:
    • Added “Up to…” conditional language to flashlight specs.
    • Guess they felt the need to warn you to keep the flashlight away from fires and not to shine it in people’s eyes…
    • Now indicates that you need to align your phone to the far left or far right side on the center console pad for wireless charging to begin.
    • A little more detail added on changing a tire.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Some good changes and additions!

Now indicates that a highway assist icon will display when you are in an area where it is supported and are centered in the lane.
That's a nice addition. Hopefully they decide to publish an actual map somewhere that's updated so you know where to expect it to function.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

There is a new version of the R1T manual that has been posted labelled December 7, 2021 (Software Version 2021.49.x) - R1T Manual

Here is a list of new and changed items:
  • New:
    • Flashlight will flash 3 times to indicate it has a low battery.
    • Now indicates that a highway assist icon will display when you are in an area where it is supported and are centered in the lane.
      • Warning added indicating that the assist feature may disengage at any time without warning.
    • New note indicating you can manually change the amperage draw amount to a lower value.
    • Indication on page 95 that you can view what range estimates are based on and can reset the historical data.
    • New grid on page 108 indicating what exterior storage is lockable and waterproof.
    • Snow traction device section added to page 151 including indication that you shouldn’t use chains/cables on the 20” tires, but “textile-based” devices can be used.
Any idea what a textile based traction device is?

Polecat

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Programmer