First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
While we are on the subject of braking, as an ICE only driver, can someone tell me if brake pad wear is less on an EV vs. on a similar sized/weight automatic transmission ICE, or similar, or greater?
Assuming you use full regen you will seldom touch the friction brake. By seldom I mean you can go touring for a couple of days, drive a couple of hundred miles and touch the wide pedal perhaps twice. Thus, in full regen mode brake pads last forever. Most of the wear comes from wiping off haze if the rotors get wet.

Also, is there any difference in brake pad wear between the two regen modes?
Assuming that we are interpreting the two modes correctly the full mode implies that you will almost never touch the brake pedal but that in the partial mode you will use it less than in an ICE car but more than in the full regen mode. Thus pad wear will be less than in an ICE vehicle but more than in full regen mode.
Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Can someone explain to me the range settings on page 90? Daily, trip, and extended. I know conserve mode gives you the best range, but not sure how these 3 add or take away range.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Can someone explain to me the range settings on page 90? Daily, trip, and extended. I know conserve mode gives you the best range, but not sure how these 3 add or take away range.
These are preset charge levels. I really hope that we will be able to pick any charge level we want i.e. that we will not be limited to three values chosen by Rivian. Three presets is fine as long as there is some submenu in which we can set the presets.

Anyway what these mean is that if you pick "daily" the car will charge to say 60%, if you pick "trip" it will charge to say 85% snd if you pick "extended" it will charge to near 100%. Those numbers are just guesses and I re-emphasize that if I want to charge to 55% or 80% or 85% that I should be able to set those levels. And I also want to be able to set the rate (e.g. 5 kW or 6 kW).

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You seem to be conflating "charge modes" with "drive modes". The 3 charge modes you reference effectively tell the car at what battery state-of-charge (SoC) to terminate charging (although the manual doesn't get into what those levels are or if they might be user configurable). "Conserve mode" is one of the drive modes and configures the vehicle to consume minimal charge from the battery.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
These are preset charge levels for. I really hope that we will be able to pick any charge level we want i.e. that we will not be limited to three values chosen by Rivian. Three presets is fine as long as there is some submenu in which we can set the presets.

Anyway what these mean is that if you pick "daily" the car will charge to say 60%, if you pick "trip" it will charge to say 85% snd if you pick "extended" it will charge to near 100%. Those numbers are just guesses and I re-emphasize that if I want to charge to 55% or 80% or 85% that I should be able to set those levels. And I also want to be able to set the rate (e.g. 5 kW or 6 kW).
I get the feeling that they aren't just adjusting the charge to level, but the bottom buffer as well.

In other words, daily may show full charged at 80%, and dully discharged at 20%.

I agree, I'm really hoping for some more granularity in both what you can do and what you can see ( ie if this only shows charging as miles/min I'm gonna be sooooo bummed). However, I get the feeling they're trying to put make this decisions for us based on the data they have, and then let the BMS respond accordingly. Just a hunch.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
In my experience of jumping directly back and forth between a manual transmission car to a tesla, the biggest problem for me is hitting the left side of the brake pedal when going for the phantom clutch pedal at a stoplight. But this happens every time I drive an automatic.

you do get used to regen braking pretty instantly I find - there’s just no need to press the brake pedal as much, if that makes sense.
I find I just…don’t press the brakes as often.
Sheesh, quite the back and forth on this topic between "smart" people.

As a non-"smart" person, I'll just add my (useless) anecdote. I have never owned an EV, but I have test driven a couple Tesla's and an ID.4. I played around with regen levels in each vehicle. It took me about 30 seconds to realize how awesome 1 pedal driving was, and to decide I prefer it to my 25 years of ICE vehicle two (and 3) pedal driving. I got back in my ICE vehicle after those experiences and could instantly drive it just fine as well.

I guess my point is, I think there are probably other people like me who don't have experience with 1 pedal driving nor an opinion about it who will get in a Rivian and get along just fine, and maybe even love the 1 pedal experience. I have no clue what percentage of people are like me vs @Scott 's wife vs the others replying here (rendering this anecdote useless), just saying we exist.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I get the feeling that they aren't just adjusting the charge to level, but the bottom buffer as well.

In other words, daily may show full charged at 80%, and dully discharged at 20%.
Ummm, don't think so. This is basically telling the computer at what battery voltage it should disconnect the charging circuit. What voltage is deemed to represent 80% SoC may change from day to day or over time as the battery ages, Rivian changes its BMS firmware, with temperature etc. but in determining when to shut off the charger the battery is at a highish SoC - far from the start of the lower buffer.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I missed something. Couldn't find this in the manual. Is this a joke?
Page 68 where it is talking about the lights on the dash.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
As a non-"smart" person, I'll just add my (useless) anecdote.
Not useless at all! In engineer-speak you are "another point on the curve"

I guess my point is, I think there are probably other people like me who don't have experience with 1 pedal driving nor an opinion about it who will get in a Rivian and get along just fine, and maybe even love the 1 pedal experience. I have no clue what percentage of people are like me vs @Scott 's wife vs the others replying here (rendering this anecdote useless), just saying we exist.
I think Rivian's choice on how to present it says that you are right. But they are a little timid in offering the option to partially disable it. Tesla used to offer that option but dropped it. I'm sure that outrages some but it hasn't cost Tesla sales. I suspect Rivian will eventually come to the same conclusion.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
As long as there is a 'low regen' option available, which I believe they have, then that covers the "works the way people are used to" use case. Blending the braking forces seems like unnecessary complication, particularly when given a bit of seat time I imagine the vast majority of owners will switch and liking and preferring single pedal driving. I imagine Rivian viewed things similarly and determined it wasn't worth the time and energy and to put those resources elsewhere.

Tesla used to have a low regen mode but did away with that option sometime in the last year, which I'll agree with is stupid and terrible from a user choice as well a snow driving safety level. That said (personal anecdote time) I didn't think I'd like standard regen mode on my tesla when I got it, but within a few weeks my right foot learned what to do and I'm a convert. I never switch out of it aside from really snowy and icy conditions. My wife is also a surprise convert. I never thought the simple action of _not_ having to move my foot to the other pedal would be such a nice quality of life improvement in traffic/in general but it makes dealing with traffic a lot less annoying IMHO. Still ultimately annoying of course, but much more bearable.
A few reasons I want a low regen option. I have a couple kids that are easily car sick. Snowy or Icy roads. Hoping regen doesn’t put me into a slide in the bad days. And tire longevity. The constant regen is harder on the tires than coasting

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
These are preset charge levels. I really hope that we will be able to pick any charge level we want i.e. that we will not be limited to three values chosen by Rivian. Three presets is fine as long as there is some submenu in which we can set the presets.

Just one custom option would be perfect. Dial in percentage and be done with it

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
A few reasons I want a low regen option. I have a couple kids that are easily car sick.
What does regen have to do with that or perhaps why do you think regen would bother them more than friction braking?

Snowy or Icy roads. Hoping regen doesn’t put me into a slide in the bad days.
What about regen makes you think you would be any more prone to skiddimg on ssnow or icy roads?

And tire longevity. The constant regen is harder on the tires than coasting
There is nothing in full regen mode that will preclude coasting if that's what you want to do. Actually, with regen you will be able to diminish tire wear because you can observe and control the magnitude of the torque applied to the wheels, positive or negative. You can't do that with the friction brake.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Just one custom option would be perfect. Dial in percentage and be done with it
That's what Tesla has and that's what I would prefer. You can do it in the car or via the Tesla App or via third party apps that use the API.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

A few reasons I want a low regen option. I have a couple kids that are easily car sick. Snowy or Icy roads. Hoping regen doesn’t put me into a slide in the bad days. And tire longevity. The constant regen is harder on the tires than coasting
to be clear, both the system I prefer (VW groups)and the one pedal driving @ajdelange is promoting use regen for basically all braking.

With one pedal driving your kids might feel more car sick over the hurky jerky driving as you get used to it, but once you are accustomed to it you can drive smoothly (and that doesn’t take a ton of time). In VW’s system the car feels just like your ICE braking system but you rarely use friction brakes.
Summary: I wouldn’t worry about motion sickness in either.
Sponsored