First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I disagree with the notion that Tesla's one pedal system is inherently better. We all agree that coasting is thee most efficient way to slow down. From a user experience perspective I find it easier to achieve that state by taking my foot completely off of pedals. I know people say "you get used to it", but it is very very hard to achieve perfect neutral position in a one pedal system.
You are going to be forced into it. Perhaps your opinion will change.

You tend to use a little regen and then a little acceleration. In the end it is probably a negligible difference,
If you want to coast that's exactly how it works and because you are oscillating around the 0 power point the amount lost to inefficiency is negligable squared. But it is rare that you want to coast. You want to fit into the traffic flow. In the days of the gas crisis people coasted as part of hypermiling and even then coasters were not very popular.

but it also has the benefit of being what people are used to and allows you to move back and forth to ICE vehicles better.
Why is that a good thing?

I personally find it a little arrogant / condescending to tell other people what they should prefer.
I used to consult for a large government agency and from time to time they would need state of the art systems so they would draw up a list of requirements, send it to their three favorite contractors and ask for presentations from each prior to issuing RFPs. I remember going to the meeting in the week (one day for each contractor) the presentations were to be made and the man in charge greeted me with "Ready for another one of these? You know what we are in for. Company A: What were those requirements - how will we meet them?; Company B: These are the requirements - here's how we'll meet them; Company C: No! These are the requirements. Here's how we'll meet them." The irony was that every single time it was Company C that was head and shoulders above the others. Do you really think you know better what you need than Elon Musk does? Damn right it's arrogant. If you are smart you'll use that to your advantage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Mainly it is this. I haven't experienced single pedal driving so I don't know how much it provides, so it is trusting that your experience will translate over to mine.
I won't even ask you to do that. I will only suggest that you keep an open mind as you approach it. I'd wager several beers you;'ll come to like it. BTW my wife does.

I expect i will be able to adapt with no issues, but they just aren't exactly equivalent in all situations.
I'm sure you will and no, they aren't exactly the same but it is not at all difficult to transition from one to the other.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Glad to see they have top tethers for forward facing child seats (some other pickups don’t). I’m gonna have two in the back.
This is the law now in many states. My 2019 F150 had it, don't remember if my 2015 Colorado had it or not.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

You are going to be forced into it. Perhaps your opinion will change.
Only if I want the R1S. I don't need to get it. I can wait for other options. I haven't decided if I will actually buy the car or not. This issue won't fully decide my choice, but it will be a factor (along with driver plus, quality of phone integration, etc - I am pretty sure the on and off road performance are more than I need, so the other stuff I interact with daily will determine if I think this is the car I want or not)

EDIT: I will add I have driven in a one pedal mode for probably 200 miles, in both Tesla's and other cars. I can probably live with it, but it is not my preference. I am not speaking out of total ignorance / inexperience / fear of change

Why is that a good thing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

In general matching a users pre-existing expectations is a GOOD thing. Now I am all for radical changes and innovation when they truly make things better. But I don't think everything Tesla comes up with is the best approach. In reality some of Tesla's changes from standard ICE cars are there to cut costs. I don't think many people actually likes the lack of physical buttons to interact with climate controls. People like the minimalist look but the most common complaint I hear about Tesla is "I wish I could use buttons to do X and not use the touch screen". Similar with the removal of the screen behind the steering wheel on some models. They aren't doing this because it is better, they are doing these things because they save money. (Note I don't think the yoke steering wheel is there to save money but it is another example of the fallibility of Tesla's engineering)

Couldn't their braking system be similar? Sure their approach is nearly equal, or equal to the VW groups design in terms of driving efficiency, but it is a reasonable opinion that the VW group's implementation is more user friendly. The big difference: Tesla's is probably cheaper / less complicated. And I don't say that as a dig. Engineering is about tradeoffs and saving cost has value. Making cars affordable is important.

I used to consult for a large government agency and from time to time they would need state of the art systems so they would draw up a list of requirements, send it to their three favorite contractors and ask for presentations from each prior to issuing RFPs. I remeber going to the meeting in the week (one day for each contractor) the presentation were to be mande and the man in charge greeted me with "Ready for another one of these? You know what we are in for. Company A: What were those requirements - how will we meet them?; Company B: These are the requirements - here's how we'll meet them; Company C: No! These are the requirements. Here's how we'll meet them." The irony was that every single time it was Company C that was head and shoulders above the others. Do you really think you know better what you need than Elon Musk does? Damn right it's arrogant. If you are smart you'll use that to your advantage.
In some cases yes. I do know better than Elon Musk about choices of how I interact with things. Example: yoke steering wheel.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Mainly it is this. I haven't experienced single pedal driving so I don't know how much it provides, so it is trusting that your experience will translate over to mine.

I expect i will be able to adapt with no issues, but they just aren't exactly equivalent in all situations.
In my experience of jumping directly back and forth between a manual transmission car to a tesla, the biggest problem for me is hitting the left side of the brake pedal when going for the phantom clutch pedal at a stoplight. But this happens every time I drive an automatic.

you do get used to regen braking pretty instantly I find - there’s just no need to press the brake pedal as much, if that makes sense.
I find I just…don’t press the brakes as often.

Sponsored

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Now that I've gotten used to regenerative braking and one pedal driving I never want to go back. Unless you're a ham-fisted cave man it's very easy to find that neutral zone in the middle where you are basically coasting if you want that, but usually I don't want that. I want to brake or accelerate or maintain a speed or adjust a speed precisely. Every time I drive my wife's combustion car I loathe the coasting/crawling forward nature of it. There are a lot of troglodytes out there who refuse to accept this new way, and for them I just say - find another vehicle.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Sadly, my 6-year old is more prepared for 1-pedal driving than I am. That's what Power Wheels have! Meanwhile, my antique self only drives with three pedals. I'm not opposed to 1-pedal driving, but I suspect the lack of coasting won't be as efficient for my use. I have very little traffic, very few stops, and gently rolling hills. Regen braking isn't going to help me much at all, but coasting would. Sure, I can feather the throttle to get close to that, but that's just a lot more effort than I should need to put in. Overall, I'm not too worried about this aspect.

Reading the manual, my main concern is all the crap running through the touchscreen. As an alternative, I'm fine to use the unmentioned voice commands, but does Alexa need an internet connection to work? AT&T doesn't cover my area much at all.

Per the manual, I'm also concerned with how many default settings I'm going to have to change every time I get in the vehicle. I'm hoping it'll get updated so it stays in the drive mode I want, at the height I left it in, with all the other settings I left it at, but it doesn't seem to be the case initially. I didn't take notes, but a number of settings seem to revert back to the default upon starting.

Last point, there were a number of typos in there which worry me about attention to detail vs rushing something out. I'm no English major by any means, but come on...

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
There are references to "Trailer Sway Control" (like it is a defined term) on page 144 and 145. But, I don't see anywhere where they describe what the vehicle actually does to control trailer sway (other than automatically disengaging Adaptive Cruise Control).

Did I miss a description of what it does elsewhere? Or, is it something that everyone is supposed to already know about? My current vehicle has power windows and anti-lock brakes so maybe I'm just too far behind the times.

Last edited:

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Now that I've gotten used to regenerative braking and one pedal driving I never want to go back. Unless you're a ham-fisted cave man it's very easy to find that neutral zone in the middle where you are basically coasting if you want that, but usually I don't want that. I want to brake or accelerate or maintain a speed or adjust a speed precisely. Every time I drive my wife's combustion car I loathe the coasting/crawling forward nature of it. There are a lot of troglodytes out there who refuse to accept this new way, and for them I just say - find another vehicle.
This attitude does not help EV adoption. For me I will likely get used to either possible set up and it is unlikely to be the deciding factor in my vehicle purchase decision. I have a preference for the VW group’s method but it is a preference not a requirement.

However if you want to incentivize change you need to make people feel comfortable with the transition. VW’s approach does that. Ridiculing people as troglodytes or ham fisted just turns people off and makes it look like you have a superiority complex.

As an anecdote my wife, who was dead set on getting an EV, test drove a Tesla. When she couldn’t turn off one pedal driving she refused to buy it. She considered just buying an ICE Audi instead. Eventually she settled on then ID.4 because it felt familiar yet a little different. There are many people who fall in to this boat. They have (unnecessary) range anxiety, don’t like one pedal driving or think ev’s look needlessly different. Pretending that section of the market isn’t important to moving us away from ICEs is not helpful. As a company with an environmental mission I am sure Rivian is aware of this.

Chinna

First Name
Naren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, MACH-E4X
Occupation
Software developer
Is It driver seat memory feature is availble ? I can see only mirror memory only

And Is it windshelid wiper deicers is availble ?

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Relax everyone, customer service tells me that you can configure Alexa to apply your brakes based on how loudly you scream. That's what they were testing when that recent accident occurred, so it's still a work in progress, but they're shooting for at least 93% accuracy once they've gotten a few months of data from LE owners.

"Hey Alexa, aaaaaaGGGGHHAAGGHGGGH!!!"
"I'm sorry, I didn't quite get that"

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
This attitude does not help EV adoption. For me I will likely get used to either possible set up and it is unlikely to be the deciding factor in my vehicle purchase decision. I have a preference for the VW group’s method but it is a preference not a requirement.

However if you want to incentivize change you need to make people feel comfortable with the transition. VW’s approach does that. Ridiculing people as troglodytes or ham fisted just turns people off and makes it look like you have a superiority complex.

As an anecdote my wife, who was dead set on getting an EV, test drove a Tesla. When she couldn’t turn off one pedal driving she refused to buy it. She considered just buying an ICE Audi instead. Eventually she settled on then ID.4 because it felt familiar yet a little different. There are many people who fall in to this boat. They have (unnecessary) range anxiety, don’t like one pedal driving or think ev’s look needlessly different. Pretending that section of the market isn’t important to moving us away from ICEs is not helpful. As a company with an environmental mission I am sure Rivian is aware of this.
As long as there is a 'low regen' option available, which I believe they have, then that covers the "works the way people are used to" use case. Blending the braking forces seems like unnecessary complication, particularly when given a bit of seat time I imagine the vast majority of owners will switch and liking and preferring single pedal driving. I imagine Rivian viewed things similarly and determined it wasn't worth the time and energy and to put those resources elsewhere.

Tesla used to have a low regen mode but did away with that option sometime in the last year, which I'll agree with is stupid and terrible from a user choice as well a snow driving safety level. That said (personal anecdote time) I didn't think I'd like standard regen mode on my tesla when I got it, but within a few weeks my right foot learned what to do and I'm a convert. I never switch out of it aside from really snowy and icy conditions. My wife is also a surprise convert. I never thought the simple action of _not_ having to move my foot to the other pedal would be such a nice quality of life improvement in traffic/in general but it makes dealing with traffic a lot less annoying IMHO. Still ultimately annoying of course, but much more bearable.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I did not see anything about the Driver+ in particular - it outlined adaptive cruise control and highway assist, but min speed is 20mph which means it won't work in traffic. Am I missing something? I have been used to Tesla autopilot so was hoping Driver+ would at least be similar...
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T OWNERS MANUAL Guide  is here! ? 1632627413614

I saw this. It may work...

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
VHAT?! There are no instructions on how to activate the UI profile to respond to you in Cuban. Rivian, go re-write that manual!

?

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
While we are on the subject of braking, as an ICE only driver, can someone tell me if brake pad wear is less on an EV vs. on a similar sized/weight automatic transmission ICE, or similar, or greater? Also, is there any difference in brake pad wear between the two regen modes?
Sponsored