Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Rivian One Year Review

Launch Green, 20” ATs

14 months 20k miles.

This has been my experience after having the truck for a little over year. I’m coming from several Audi Sport cars and most of the midsize trucks around. It’s less luxurious and less trucky than I’m use to so that’s the background my evaluation is coming from. There are a lot of complaints coming in this review, so if you’re turned off by too much complaining, this is not the post for you!

Firstly this is the most impressive vehicle (collectively) that I’ve owned. It’s great for your one car garage. I’ve always had a car and truck at the same time. It’s even a greater vehicle when you use it for the lifestyle truck that it is. It just always encourages me to head out doors to camp, off-road, road-trips, etc. It’s not perfect but here are the some categories.

Perception

It’s still a real head turner on the streets and I still love looking at it myself. It’s comfy, well built, and inviting on the inside. Not as much as Audi but great for a first attempt vehicle. I like feeling like I’m a part of some kind of car movement. I’m rooting for Rivian to succeed and become a better product as time goes by.

Driving

For its size, weight, shape, AT wheels, it does really well. I really love having air suspension and the handling is great. I’m not very confident in it when it rains or snows. Doesn’t seem sure footed even with the ATs. I know it’s worse conditions but I’ve felt more confident in less capable trucks. I love the power and comfort.

Tires

I’ve rotated them just once. I know…😔 Most miles are in conserve mode and on road trips. Fronts are now 8/32 and rear is now 5/32. 😬

The tires have been worry/trouble free.

Build Quality

Most mechanical things still work and haven’t failed including tonneau cover. Interior seems to have some rattles now, more sounds in the suspension, and more road noise. Wind noise got less when I fixed the passenger window. The interior is still in great condition even tho many plastic areas scratch easily and also the bed. Wish I got all the clear protector linings for everything.

Major Repairs

Hood sensor failed causing turtle mode. 🤔 Rivian came to my house next day to replace it. Rear diff was leaking oil from seals/plugs. Had to be sent in to replace them. Replaced rear light bar because someone bumped into it and cracked it. With that being said I would basically still consider it pretty reliable.

Battery/Charging

The most miles I’ve ever gotten is 265…but I’m never driving below 75 on highways. Slight sign of batt degradation but not a noticeable amount. I still sometimes hit estimated miles on shorter drives. Love charging at home. RAN, waypoints and home charger has been flawless. Max charge rate I’ve seen is ~220kw on EA but only for a short time. Cold weather really hurts the range and also really hot weather. She’s picky!

Rivian Service

They have been great every single time. They answer calls, respond timely, find solutions, do follow up, fast repairs, great customer service. Really cool peeps!

Favorite features

Air suspension

Camp mode

Gear tunnel

Frunk

Under rear seat storage

Air compressor

Remote cabin preconditioning

Remote control from app

Physical Complaints

EV trends like handles, bare glass roof, no buttons, aside these are them:

Bed is too short and depth too shallow. When tonneau and tailgate close it’s even smaller with that goose neck flap cover. It’s def a miss for cargo carrying. It’s hard to get into the bed as well. Interior door handle is not in an ergonomic/natural location. Foot rest pedal is too flat/useless. Front interior storage is hit/miss. Unlit steering buttons. camp speaker lights too dim. Air vents 😤

Software complaints

The active entry has been my biggest annoyance in general for the entire ownership. It’s has gotten less grievous with updates but still needs work. I always have to decide/plan ahead what to do with my key fob, the phone, Bluetooth, just to keep it from just un/locking all the time. Locking people inside/outside, won’t open when standing there, constantly locking when standing close by. The best method is really the wristband. At least it only does something when you tell it to. I love the remote access from the app tho.

The next is the “always on” situation. I wish I could shut it down each time or sometimes. Not camp mode. If I’m packing the truck, working in the garage, walking by, anything, its just always doing something. Suspension wakes up, radio turns on, AC turns on, lights and sounds everywhere. I don’t want it to do anything until I’m ready to use it. If I’m just sitting inside, it would be nice to turn off the screens, HVAC, media, external/interior lights, all in one touch.

Those are my two biggest things.

Honorable mentions:

Air vents 😤

No reasonable phone integration

Low camera quality

Limited info on driver display

Buried driver plus controls.

However the available software functionality and speed has been trouble-free for the most part. Works seamless.

Changes I’d like to see

Higher top speed 130, and ACC top speed 90-95…for the drag strip 🙄

More info on driver display (music, temp, clock, trip comp, compass)

Better phone integration/controls

Auto Reengage driver plus after lane changes.

Resume ACC speed after a temporary cancel.

Add more permanent buttons/controls on screen for media, climate, safety assistance

Add shortcut to Driver Plus.

More media options (Pandora, usb drive)

On-demand batt preconditioning?

Low speed 360 camera auto activate.

ACC available with 7pin connected- it doesn’t work when anything, like a bike rack, is connected.

Tight turn assist (reduce inner rear wheel rotation with steering angle)

Conclusion

This truck is flawed and has room for improvement but it’s been the most exciting and capable vehicle I’ve ever owned. It makes me want to go out and explore and travel all the time without the high gas prices. Even with its weaknesses, it has way more strengths and appeal that many other vehicles do. Would I buy it again? YES!! I already have an R1S on order and I can’t wait till it gets here!! Also I will get every PPF they offer and all the aftermarket ones.

I will also get the 21s for better range. As much as I’ve gone off-road I’d much rather get a little farther on a charge. I’ve ran outta batt once before and cut it close too many times.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Solid review 🤙criticisms make the product better.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Great overall review with some good suggestions for improvement. As a lot of those suggestions are software related I would suggest you post this on Reddit because their head of software reads it and it would be good for your suggestions to be captured into their roadmap for future development.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Good comprehensive review. I hope Rivian reads it. Thank you for posting.

Brian

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Solid and fair review. I have a couple of questions:

Most miles are in conserve mode and on road trips. Fronts are now 8/32 and rear is now 5/32.
Rear is 5/32 with most miles in conserve? That seems backwards, did you reverse the readings?

Slight sign of batt degradation but not a noticeable amount.
With software increase that made more of the battery available how are you recognizing any battery degradation? With no geeky metrics available I've been thinking I might never be able to know if the battery is getting worse. Seems they just keep releasing a little more useable battery and we'll never notice.

Sponsored

sccmexpert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition - Glacier White/Black Mountain
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Great overall review with some good suggestions for improvement. As a lot of those suggestions are software related I would suggest you post this on Reddit because their head of software reads it and it would be good for your suggestions to be captured into their roadmap for future development.
One would hope that they read more than just Reddit. (fingers crossed)

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
One thing that no one has mentioned but I think is a major flaw is the location of the charge port.

I appreciate that 95% of Americans can't/don't reverse park (evidence being any major parking lot), but with a long wheel base vehicle (which I class the R1T) driving it front-end in to a 90 degree park space at a charging station just doesn't work without a 10-point turn, especially if the space either side are full. I always back my cars in to park.

Why can't all EV's just have the charge port in the same location (like most ICE cars)?

Not well thought out by Rivian (but then perhaps it is as 95% can't/don't reverse park)!

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
100% with you on the wishing everything would just turn off when not in use. I too am annoyed by everything firing up any time I open the door to get something, put something away, etc. We need a "It's OK, We're Safe In The Garage Mode".

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
Rivian One Year Review

Launch Green, 20” ATs

14 months 20k miles.

This has been my experience after having the truck for a little over year. I’m coming from several Audi Sport cars and most of the midsize trucks around. It’s less luxurious and less trucky than I’m use to so that’s the background my evaluation is coming from. There are a lot of complaints coming in this review, so if you’re turned off by too much complaining, this is not the post for you!

Firstly this is the most impressive vehicle (collectively) that I’ve owned. It’s great for your one car garage. I’ve always had a car and truck at the same time. It’s even a greater vehicle when you use it for the lifestyle truck that it is. It just always encourages me to head out doors to camp, off-road, road-trips, etc. It’s not perfect but here are the some categories.

Perception

It’s still a real head turner on the streets and I still love looking at it myself. It’s comfy, well built, and inviting on the inside. Not as much as Audi but great for a first attempt vehicle. I like feeling like I’m a part of some kind of car movement. I’m rooting for Rivian to succeed and become a better product as time goes by.

Driving

For its size, weight, shape, AT wheels, it does really well. I really love having air suspension and the handling is great. I’m not very confident in it when it rains or snows. Doesn’t seem sure footed even with the ATs. I know it’s worse conditions but I’ve felt more confident in less capable trucks. I love the power and comfort.

Tires

I’ve rotated them just once. I know…😔 Most miles are in conserve mode and on road trips. Fronts are now 8/32 and rear is now 5/32. 😬

The tires have been worry/trouble free.

Build Quality

Most mechanical things still work and haven’t failed including tonneau cover. Interior seems to have some rattles now, more sounds in the suspension, and more road noise. Wind noise got less when I fixed the passenger window. The interior is still in great condition even tho many plastic areas scratch easily and also the bed. Wish I got all the clear protector linings for everything.

Major Repairs

Hood sensor failed causing turtle mode. 🤔 Rivian came to my house next day to replace it. Rear diff was leaking oil from seals/plugs. Had to be sent in to replace them. Replaced rear light bar because someone bumped into it and cracked it. With that being said I would basically still consider it pretty reliable.

Battery/Charging

The most miles I’ve ever gotten is 265…but I’m never driving below 75 on highways. Slight sign of batt degradation but not a noticeable amount. I still sometimes hit estimated miles on shorter drives. Love charging at home. RAN, waypoints and home charger has been flawless. Max charge rate I’ve seen is ~220kw on EA but only for a short time. Cold weather really hurts the range and also really hot weather. She’s picky!

Rivian Service

They have been great every single time. They answer calls, respond timely, find solutions, do follow up, fast repairs, great customer service. Really cool peeps!

Favorite features

Air suspension

Camp mode

Gear tunnel

Frunk

Under rear seat storage

Air compressor

Remote cabin preconditioning

Remote control from app

Physical Complaints

EV trends like handles, bare glass roof, no buttons, aside these are them:

Bed is too short and depth too shallow. When tonneau and tailgate close it’s even smaller with that goose neck flap cover. It’s def a miss for cargo carrying. It’s hard to get into the bed as well. Interior door handle is not in an ergonomic/natural location. Foot rest pedal is too flat/useless. Front interior storage is hit/miss. Unlit steering buttons. camp speaker lights too dim. Air vents 😤

Software complaints

The active entry has been my biggest annoyance in general for the entire ownership. It’s has gotten less grievous with updates but still needs work. I always have to decide/plan ahead what to do with my key fob, the phone, Bluetooth, just to keep it from just un/locking all the time. Locking people inside/outside, won’t open when standing there, constantly locking when standing close by. The best method is really the wristband. At least it only does something when you tell it to. I love the remote access from the app tho.

The next is the “always on” situation. I wish I could shut it down each time or sometimes. Not camp mode. If I’m packing the truck, working in the garage, walking by, anything, its just always doing something. Suspension wakes up, radio turns on, AC turns on, lights and sounds everywhere. I don’t want it to do anything until I’m ready to use it. If I’m just sitting inside, it would be nice to turn off the screens, HVAC, media, external/interior lights, all in one touch.

Those are my two biggest things.

Honorable mentions:

Air vents 😤

No reasonable phone integration

Low camera quality

Limited info on driver display

Buried driver plus controls.

However the available software functionality and speed has been trouble-free for the most part. Works seamless.

Changes I’d like to see

Higher top speed 130, and ACC top speed 90-95…for the drag strip 🙄

More info on driver display (music, temp, clock, trip comp, compass)

Better phone integration/controls

Auto Reengage driver plus after lane changes.

Resume ACC speed after a temporary cancel.

Add more permanent buttons/controls on screen for media, climate, safety assistance

Add shortcut to Driver Plus.

More media options (Pandora, usb drive)

On-demand batt preconditioning?

Low speed 360 camera auto activate.

ACC available with 7pin connected- it doesn’t work when anything, like a bike rack, is connected.

Tight turn assist (reduce inner rear wheel rotation with steering angle)

Conclusion

This truck is flawed and has room for improvement but it’s been the most exciting and capable vehicle I’ve ever owned. It makes me want to go out and explore and travel all the time without the high gas prices. Even with its weaknesses, it has way more strengths and appeal that many other vehicles do. Would I buy it again? YES!! I already have an R1S on order and I can’t wait till it gets here!! Also I will get every PPF they offer and all the aftermarket ones.

I will also get the 21s for better range. As much as I’ve gone off-road I’d much rather get a little farther on a charge. I’ve ran outta batt once before and cut it close too many times.
Good revew,Sanjay....I think some of your comments are more personal likes/dislikes vs real global issues. As am example, I personally like no buttons and getting into the bed is easy if you use the gear tunnel door...and I have zero issues with bed size. I don't need higher speed and I believe "burying" driver+ is intentional to avoid accidental engagement. The "always on" can bother me for sure...would be nice to opt-in/out for some of those functions...Bottom line, as you said, best machine i've ever owned...R2 will for sure contain many of yours and others' recommendations, but in the meantime, I love my R1T and would absolutely buy it again!!

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
One thing that no one has mentioned but I think is a major flaw is the location of the charge port.

I appreciate that 95% of Americans can't/don't reverse park (evidence being any major parking lot), but with a long wheel base vehicle (which I class the R1T) driving it front-end in to a 90 degree park space at a charging station just doesn't work without a 10-point turn, especially if the space either side are full. I always back my cars in to park.

Why can't all EV's just have the charge port in the same location (like most ICE cars)?

Not well thought out by Rivian (but then perhaps it is as 95% can't/don't reverse park)!
I actually think the charge port location is great. However I'm also coming from a leaf where the charge port is in the front.

I'm fine with backing in but I know my wife isn't. (She crashed into the garage doing so 🤦‍♂️)

Ideally cars should have multiple charge points... No real reason they couldn't except cost.

Sponsored

lostinafog

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad large Canyon Red, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Thanks for this. I'm getting ready to take delivery of my R1T and appreciate all the comments.

Some of your issues remind me of the earlier days with my Tesla. My standard reply to folks who ask how I like it is that its the only car I've ever owned that got better after I bought it--and a lot has gotten better since mid-2018 when I got our Model 3. I'm hopeful the same is true for the Rivian. Although I might add that Tesla's constant tinkering with the UI sometimes causes its own issues for me.😁

Here's hoping that 2-3 years down the road we are all excited about the improvements they put through via software!

Sfosro

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired

100% of my charging is at home. The left front is perfect for me.

OP
OP

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Solid and fair review. I have a couple of questions:

Rear is 5/32 with most miles in conserve? That seems backwards, did you reverse the readings?

With software increase that made more of the battery available how are you recognizing any battery degradation? With no geeky metrics available I've been thinking I might never be able to know if the battery is getting worse. Seems they just keep releasing a little more useable battery and we'll never notice.
My only tire rotation was done at about 17k miles. The current lower rear tires were at front for 17k miles.
I realize they do now give more useable batt percentage but what I find is that it ‘depletes faster’?… The few times I’ve charged to 100% on road trips, with the new batt updates, I notice that It’ll show ~312 miles (used to be 293), but when I drive about 5 miles conservatively it’s drops to 302. So it’s a more of a theoretical range than actual. But once it gets below 300 miles remaining it becomes more accurate. So I basically get half the supposed increase.

OP
OP

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

100% with you on the wishing everything would just turn off when not in use. I too am annoyed by everything firing up any time I open the door to get something, put something away, etc. We need a "It's OK, We're Safe In The Garage Mode".
It’s not the loudest car I’ve owned but it’s definitely the noisiest. Very busy vehicle!

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
what do you think the % of battery degradation is?
Sponsored