Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It's funny because in the back of mind I thought about the petrocan chargers close to me, but had forgotten about the "Electron Highway". It is odd that none of them showed up in either charge point or plugshare searches. Probably a glitch
Petro canada chargers are not on chargepoint, but do show up in PlugShare.
Sponsored

SEARivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - El Cap Granite, 20"AT Black
Spoke to a CS rep today and they got new information from Head Office. She told me that once I switch to the large pack I am locked in. Which is consistent with the original CS. However, she stated and confirmed with her Supervisor that if I get my delivery window of Q4/2022 I can call back and they will switch to the Max Pack and have the option to wait it out (my spot in line will remain).

She said this is only for 2018 and 2019 Pre-Order holders.
Unfortunately I didn’t get the same info. Finally got my call and I posed this scenario and they said I’m locked in. Obviously we know not all CS reps have perfect information but it didn’t sound to me like this could happen.

Begrudgingly I switched to the large pack and was told given my early 2019 deposit if get it second half of 2022 but optimistically not at the very end of the year. Either way, I feel way more confident about that timeline than anything to do with max pack given our experience. I am worried they are having production issues with it. And if not, worried they’ll determine most Americans will be fine with the large pack and keep pushing the max further. Or even a chance that they wait til their R2 series to do max pack.

Another thing that led to my switch is how much my trade in is worth right now compared to book value. It’s at least $10k more and could be up to $15k. That’s a nice down payment on an R1T that I can’t guarantee will still be there the more time passes.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately I didn’t get the same info. Finally got my call and I posed this scenario and they said I’m locked in. Obviously we know not all CS reps have perfect information but it didn’t sound to me like this could happen.

Begrudgingly I switched to the large pack and was told given my early 2019 deposit if get it second half of 2022 but optimistically not at the very end of the year. Either way, I feel way more confident about that timeline than anything to do with max pack given our experience. I am worried they are having production issues with it. And if not, worried they’ll determine most Americans will be fine with the large pack and keep pushing the max further. Or even a chance that they wait til their R2 series to do max pack.

Another thing that led to my switch is how much my trade in is worth right now compared to book value. It’s at least $10k more and could be up to $15k. That’s a nice down payment on an R1T that I can’t guarantee will still be there the more time passes.
Agreed. I can't justify $14k CAD. Not sure if that's work $14k for minor range anxiety from time to time. Like you said I'd save that money to help pay down the truck faster. Who knows in 5 years or so you're able to sell the truck and get into another.

Ribeye

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
63 Lincoln
Received a vmm from JR at Rivian CS. As an R1T Max/Adventure preorder holder (12/19), I can make a “small”, yes he said “small”, change to my order and switch to the large pack. This would ensure delivery in 2022. Interestingly, JR said I needed to call CS by the end of this week.

I have not called back, but with this outreach (I know they said they were going to do it) i am beginning to wonder if there are design/approval issues with the Max Pack that Rivian doesn’t want to address head on with us Max Pack order holders. After all, they seem to have gaps/capacity in the line such that they could fill those in with a simple Max Pack skateboard.

I guess I need to decide quickly if I want to make that small change.

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Received a vmm from JR at Rivian CS. As an R1T Max/Adventure preorder holder (12/19), I can make a “small”, yes he said “small”, change to my order and switch to the large pack. This would ensure delivery in 2022. Interestingly, JR said I needed to call CS by the end of this week.

I have not called back, but with this outreach (I know they said they were going to do it) i am beginning to wonder if there are design/approval issues with the Max Pack that Rivian doesn’t want to address head on with us Max Pack order holders. After all, they seem to have gaps/capacity in the line such that they could fill those in with a simple Max Pack skateboard.

They want to be able to give you the option since you ordered a bit ago. I want a max pack but never did it because they have 0 economic incentive to build it - they have 70,000 orders (yes, there are relatively high historical cancellation rates); every three max packs is an additional R1 they could sell, but they are only getting an additional 30,000 over the three max packs and less units. Seems pretty clear on the economic incentive.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer

lol - I ended up making the small change. I looked at it as a way to save $14k and hopefully get the vehicle before next winter.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel like this is a fishing exercise to see if they can kill the max pack
I doubt that. More like delay it to 2023. Which it already is.

Very much hope that is not the case, because no max pack is no sale, for me.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
They really can’t afford to kill the max pack, even if they take a loss on every one for a bit. The folks running Rivian are not dumb people. They may have made some choices many of us don’t agree with. However, nixing the 400 mile pack on your first offering as a new company that has had a huge IPO and has to prove itself would quite literally be the beginning of the end for them as a consumer vehicle company. They may still be able to get by in the last-mile space, but that is filling up fast.

All the competitor models arriving in 2024 will have a longer range option than Rivian if they nix it. Don’t be shocked when Ford comes out with a longer range Lightning built for towing that has that longer range by 2024/2025. They haven’t redesigned the truck from the ground up yet. They will.
The Silverado will be at 400 miles.
Expect the Tacoma to be 350+

Again, towing and that range are married. If you walk away from that longer range, you are not going to be selling a truck for long. If you can get charging times down DRAMATICALLY you can sell shorter range trucks. If not, it won’t happen. EVs are 3% of the market or thereabouts, so only folks more willing to push technology are in. When you hit the average consumer, they don’t give a crap about EV versus ICE if the EV can’t do the truck things they expect.

Could they shift to sedans and crossovers? Yup. Where is the money in the consumer auto industry? SUVs and trucks. So you can likely do the math. So can they. Want proof? What was the first model they designed that they realized was not the best path? A sports car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Me too, No Max...No Sale.

I have a First edition Silverado reservation just in case.
I think it is a big deal to people in western canada(there are dozens of us!!) and the less dense parts of the western US.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Max packs were always scheduled to be delivered after LE's. The idea that because you had an earlier pre-order, but made a different choice you now regret at the same time as I made my choice, with the same information, entitles you to be in front of me in the LE line if you were to switch... yea, no, sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

Sure, if they want to sort by pre-order date when you convert to a non-LE large pack, I think that's fine, since that option has been available to you all along. The option to get into an LE has not however. It opened for a limited time with limited capacity and you chose differently. I'm sorry that means you have to wait longer than you anticipated.
Not always, if you ordered a Max pack in 2018 or 2019, they sent you an email saying the Max pack would be built and sold first.

It was in November 2020 that Rivian flipped on that promise, and said now LEs would come out first. With the standard battery size.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I think it is a big deal to people in western canada(there are dozens of us!!) and the less dense parts of the western US.
MTB, do you have an R1s or an R1t res? Just asking because while the 400 mi range R1s would be awesome from me, I am just not sure if Rivian will ever build it. They seem to be having less competition in the 3 row SUV space than Truck space. . . . .

I went and priced out a hybrid highlander but with all the dealer markups after tax incentive it was only like 7,000 US cheaper than a Rivian. In which case it is a no brainer to wait for a Rivian. BUT that hybrid does get 600 mi of range (!).

This matters for me because this winter I am driving about 240 mi each way most weekends from Long Island to Gore Mountain in the ADKs.
Sponsored