Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Sorry man, didn't want to get you tweaked. But when you get around to putting a deposit you'll get it. Hang in there man, we've all been there.
I have a deposit down, it's for an LE R1S (originally was an R1T but changed it a few weeks back).

Hang in there, man.

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
Awesome! As a day 1 Res holder , had to pass on that LE green. I'm glad you like it.. my R1s is coming in May so right behind your green machine.

Nice going kid.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
By the time a Max Pack is available, the charging network will make it far less necessary

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

I'm not sure people, myself included, understand all of the dependencies associated with the production/logistics/support aspects of assigning a date for a specific vehicle delivery. It's not just about producing the car it's also getting the car to a service center, getting it into the customers hands and being able to support the product after sales and doing so in an economical manner. For example, you're going to have a staffing model at the Atl service location, which is based, in large part, on the number and timing of sales serviced from that location. People moving in and out of the schedule will impact the staffing model. Change one variable (delivery of a component, non-scheduled machine maintenance, staffing, transportation of finished product, etc. etc., etc.,) and the entire schedule may be impacted. This is why it is an extremely dynamc environment where dates are continually adjusted. The correct answer to what happens if I change and change back is "there are no guarantees you can have your old date back" since there may have been a number of other things that happened between those two decisions.

Personally, I would find it far more concerning if the CS said they guaranteed you wouldn't be impacted if you changed your config and then changed back at a later date.

(Now as a max packer, 2nd half of 2023 person, I'd love to get it sooner and I'd love to have high precision forecasting but hell, the weatherman probably has fewer variables to deal with and they can't tell me what the weather will be tomorrow!....no offense to any weatherman/weatherwomen who may be reading this)

Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
By the time a Max Pack is available, the charging network will make it far less necessary
This is a bad assumption I see repeated over and over, and completely subject to where each owner will be operating the vehicle.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
This is a bad assumption I see repeated over and over, and completely subject to where each owner will be operating the vehicle.
Yup. The charging network will not suddenly be more towing friendly. The network will not be in the vast majority of off-road destinations because those places are 50 miles from current infrastructure. The charging network will not suddenly be 150 kw where they are currently planning by 2023 for 50 kw chargers. (This last point seems picky, but try telling rural Montana folks their new truck will require sitting at a “fast” charger for an hour after their 150 mile drive to Aunt Sue’s house that morning.)

Yes, the vast majority of people will be fine with 300 miles. Those of us who need the max pack need it and the current network plans still won’t hit it. Route from Havre, MT to basically anywhere and back. Route from any small town in Northwest Wisconsin to the UP and home again. Route around Eastern New York or Northwestern Maine and assume it is a trip to a fishing or hunting spot. Rural America has and will continue to have a legitimate need for more miles for a good decade. Judy or Clyde, who runs the local gas station/bait shop/fishing and hunting license shop, cannot afford the current costs for fast chargers without help.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Spoke to a CS rep today and they got new information from Head Office. She told me that once I switch to the large pack I am locked in. Which is consistent with the original CS. However, she stated and confirmed with her Supervisor that if I get my delivery window of Q4/2022 I can call back and they will switch to the Max Pack and have the option to wait it out (my spot in line will remain).

She said this is only for 2018 and 2019 Pre-Order holders.

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
Spoke to a CS rep today and they got new information from Head Office. She told me that once I switch to the large pack I am locked in. Which is consistent with the original CS. However, she stated and confirmed with her Supervisor that if I get my delivery window of Q4/2022 I can call back and they will switch to the Max Pack and have the option to wait it out (my spot in line will remain).

She said this is only for 2018 and 2019 Pre-Order holders.
Wow. Good info. Just not sure I have faith in their word anymore.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I just received my call from Rivian. May 2019 Pre-Order for Adventure/Max Pack and was given the option to switch to Large Pack that I would be guaranteed a 2022 delivery window. But CS couldn't tell me when exactly but it will be in 2022. I'm located in Toronto/Canada. I'm on the fence and have until Jan 31 to make that switch otherwise I am locked in. I'm somewhat concerned with the cold weather and the range. We camp a lot but usually don't trek more than 300km away from home with plenty of chargers along the way on the OnRoute system along the highways. Just need to ensure the vehicle is at 100% capacity before driving.

What are other peeps saying - have other Canadians' on the forums received their calls and windows yet and what are their thoughts?
Nothing yet, not even an initial delivery window for my max pack (June 6 2019). Vancouver BC.

It's interesting as there is a good deal of "you're and idiot if you go max pack" undertone lately, and I get it, but where I think that comes mostly into play is people living stateside, where there are plenty of charging options (fast chargers specifically) where as in Canada, in most instances a fast charger is considered 50kwh. Which if at full tilt for an hour translates to 150km of optimal driving conditions. No mountain passes, cold weather, or speed limits of 120k.

If you do a quick, or even in depth search, you'll quickly find that a trip from Vancouver to Calgary for example (wife has family in Alberta), there are only 3 chargers along the route capable of at most 125kwh peak, and of those, the last two are at the halfway point of a 1200km drive. Yes there are level 2 community chargers along the way, but that's only good if you are planning to be at that charger for 8 hours at a time.

Some would say, "yeah, that's what's available now, but you you should buy assuming there will be more coming" why would anyone do that? I know rivian will roll out their own chargers eventually, and while I like their 2023 ambitions to do so, I'm not holding my breath.

I like the idea of getting the T soon, but at this point, will another few months waiting kill me? What will likely kill me is the fomo from seeing them driving around Vancouver while I continue to wait

Sponsored

Zach05855

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Nothing yet, not even an initial delivery window for my max pack (June 6 2019). Vancouver BC.

It's interesting as there is a good deal of "you're and idiot if you go max pack" undertone lately, and I get it, but where I think that comes mostly into play is people living stateside, where there are plenty of charging options (fast chargers specifically) where as in Canada, in most instances a fast charger is considered 50kwh. Which if at full tilt for an hour translates to 150km of optimal driving conditions. No mountain passes, cold weather, or speed limits of 120k.

If you do a quick, or even in depth search, you'll quickly find that a trip from Vancouver to Calgary for example (wife has family in Alberta), there are only 3 chargers along the route capable of at most 125kwh peak, and of those, the last two are at the halfway point of a 1200km drive. Yes there are level 2 community chargers along the way, but that's only good if you are planning to be at that charger for 8 hours at a time.

Some would say, "yeah, that's what's available now, but you you should buy assuming there will be more coming" why would anyone do that? I know rivian will roll out their own chargers eventually, and while I like their 2023 ambitions to do so, I'm not holding my breath.

I like the idea of getting the T soon, but at this point, will another few months waiting kill me? What will likely kill me is the fomo from seeing them driving around Vancouver while I continue to wait

Petro Canada has around 8 DC 350Kw Fast charger stations between Vancouver and Calgary.

But I agree, and will wait for the Max pack also as cold and mountainous terrain will drop the range significantly.

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/pers...BVDscBczUcqRWFigGjoaAgVQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Petro Canada has around 8 DC 350Kw Fast charger stations between Vancouver and Calgary.

But I agree, and will wait for the Max pack also as cold and mountainous terrain will drop the range significantly.

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/pers...BVDscBczUcqRWFigGjoaAgVQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
It's funny because in the back of mind I thought about the petrocan chargers close to me, but had forgotten about the "Electron Highway". It is odd that none of them showed up in either charge point or plugshare searches. Probably a glitch

Zach05855

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Look up Thompson, MB on a map. How likely do you think additional charging infrastructure is to appear on the highway there from the South in the next couple years?
Sponsored