Sponsored

Rivian R1T LE Windows Sticker - VIN#102

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
So would I like 400+ miles? Sure. Can I live with 280? Yeah...
I'm in the SF Bay Area, as well.

Not sure where you're leaving from and what part of Yosemite you're going to, so I'll use my fairly common Bay Area example.

Silicon Valley to Tahoe -> 230 miles.

Can it be done on 20AT tires with the ~280mi range?

I've tried in my Model X which has an actual real-world 280mi range on a 100% charge.
But that real world 280mi range is flat ground, neutral wind, mild temps.

Try this to Tahoe in the winter where you're:
- Climbing a mountain
- It's windy, raining, snowing
- It's cold

You're not gonna make it without an en route charge.

Max Pack makes it, though.

---

The range of the standard pack is "enough" right up until conditions change and it isn't.
Sponsored

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
I recently posted this in another thread on this topic. Cut and pasting to here:

I really don’t buy in to the range is king argument at all. For most people nearly every EV on the market can be charged at home and only need to visit a fast charger a handful of times a year. Most Americans drive less than 50 - 100 miles a day for over 350 days a year. Unless you:
- road trip very often for greater than 200 miles one way
- go to remote places with little charging infrastructure
- tow things frequently
- are in the extreme range of daily driving habits
- can’t setup a home charger
then a 300 mile range car (210 miles when only charged to 70%) is sooo much more than you need. Prioritizing exteme range vehicles to make a few days a year slightly more convenient seems odd. to put it another way, for many people the max pack is a $10,000 expense to save a few hours a year of time sitting at a charger.

If you fall in to those categories then yes range is king and perhaps ev’s aren’t yet ready for you. For the rest of us a real world highway range of 250+ miles is totally reasonable.

I tend to agree, but I'll hang on to the max pack idea for now until I see some real world reviews on range when you take into account the 20" wheel/tire setup, driving in the cold/snow up a mountain, etc. If it ends up being closer to 160 miles or so (at 70% charge) then that would be a problem for me.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So, you can't make it from San Jose to Tahoe City on a full charge in your model X? I am about 40 miles closer, so 200 miles +/-

I'm in the SF Bay Area, as well.

Not sure where you're leaving from and what part of Yosemite you're going to, so I'll use my fairly common Bay Area example.

Silicon Valley to Tahoe -> 230 miles.

Can it be done on 20AT tires with the ~280mi range?

I've tried in my Model X which has an actual real-world 280mi range on a 100% charge.
But that real world 280mi range is flat ground, neutral wind, mild temps.

Try this to Tahoe in the winter where you're:
- Climbing a mountain
- It's windy, raining, snowing
- It's cold

Max Pack makes it, though.

---

The range of the standard pack is "enough" right up until conditions change and it isn't.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Neither my wife or I would make it without an en route discharge... so might as well plug in while we're at it.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
[/QUOTE]

I am all in favor of a large pack for certain things I would like to to do. And, I ordered the large pack on my R1T.

But, good lord man, your comment makes it sound that you are driving in super remote areas and you need a max pack to be able to drive +250 miles because there are no chargers available. God forbid you have to stop at one of the 20 CCS chargers between the Bay Area and Tahoe to charge for 10 or 15 minutes!

I am just giving you a hard time because I am jealous of all the CCS chargers you have access too in order to get to majestic places once you have a non-Tesla. While there are plenty of CCS chargers in Colorado, it is a charging black hole in Wyoming, New Mexico, and western Montana.

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
California has a whole lot of chargers...as my delivery comes closer I realize they are everywhere I want to drive in CA...45-60min charging and I can make it to San Diego which also has a huge charging infrastructure when I arrive...

I think this will become the status quo for the US in 5 years...

I am all in favor of a large pack for certain things I would like to to do. And, I ordered the large pack on my R1T.

But, good lord man, your comment makes it sound that you are driving in super remote areas and you need a max pack to be able to drive +250 miles because there are no chargers available. God forbid you have to stop at one of the 20 CCS chargers between the Bay Area and Tahoe to charge for 10 or 15 minutes!

I am just giving you a hard time because I am jealous of all the CCS chargers you have access too in order to get to majestic places once you have a non-Tesla. While there are plenty of CCS chargers in Colorado, it is a charging black hole in Wyoming, New Mexico, and western Montana.
[/QUOTE]

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
In 4 years, the Max pack would save me maybe 10 hours of charging time (at the very high end). It could also limit us from a few destinations (fewer as the RAN gets built out), but a rental vehicle then becomes an option.

$10K for the above scenario makes zero sense (for my use case)

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am fairly successful, and get that is privileged, so $10k does not move the needle...more that my family who get the car next. I think they will be Ok w/ mileage even if I end up buying the R2S in a few years...

In 4 years, the Max pack would save me maybe 10 hours of charging time (at the very high end). It could also limit us from a few destinations (fewer as the RAN gets built out), but a rental vehicle then becomes an option.

$10K for the above scenario makes zero sense (for my use case)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Not spam... Because he's not wrong.

Range is king.

Max pack 4 lyfe
We really shouldn't have to relitigate this every time someone makes the mistake of mentioning the word "miles" in any context on the forum.

Different people have different needs.

It's the absolute height of arrogance to leap down the throat of anyone with different needs and insist that your particular dogma about range is the one true way to configure your vehicle.

Here's a partial (but more than sufficient) list of things that may be more important than range to many (most) buyers:
  1. Ten thousand goddamn dollars
Of course there are many other perfectly legitimate reasons to not want the max pack -
  1. It's wasteful and environmentally destructive to have more battery capacity than you'll regularly use
  2. You're comfortable with more charging stops and/or backup charging options like regen towing
  3. Your typical needs fit well within the range of the Large (or future smaller) pack, which is demonstrably true for the overwhelming majority of American drivers
  4. You prefer the increased payload (and/or storage space, in the R1S) to the marginally increased range
  5. You want your vehicle sooner
  6. Every time you have slightly less range than you might have wanted, you think to yourself, "OK, but would I pay ten thousand goddamn dollars to get out of this predicament?" and on balance, the answer is hell no.

Lol. Ok. You’ll find out.
It's exhausting to have to wade through the same insulting spam from these clowns who think nobody else on the planet has ever driven an EV and nobody else could possibly understand their own needs and use cases well enough to make an informed decision.

Range is king for you and that's fine, but yes, it's literally spam to just jump in to every thread that brushes past the topic and post "Range is king" as though it's some kind of axiomatic truth of the universe that you've independently discovered, and which we should be grateful to you for repeating ad nauseum.

This is supposed to be a thread about the monroney sticker and there are perfectly good conversations to be had about the implications (is this a definitive figure for the range hit of the 20" AT tires? Does the 48mi/100kwh figure imply a different usable size for the battery pack? How many VINs have been registered so far? Is the production ramp accelerating? How many employee deliveries do we anticipate?). But instead here we are again relitigating the same tired bullshit because you've decided that you haven't posted your opinions about range loudly enough and in enough places, even though half the forum has muted you for it already.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Pretty much my only reason I'm getting the max is for towing a ~5k lb camper (that I don't have yet). I'm sure I'm going to take a huge hit in range so that's why I want the max pack.

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Pretty much my only reason I'm getting the max is for towing a ~5k lb camper (that I don't have yet). I'm sure I'm going to take a huge hit in range so that's why I want the max pack.

There is nothing "I am sure I am going to take a huge hit in range" about it. You will lose minimum 50% to 60% of your range when pulling that camper. And, since you are blessed to live in Colorado, anticipate even more going up and down Loveland Pass or Vail Pass on I-70. Just be thankful that there are convenient CCS chargers throughout the state, unless you need to get to Lamar!

And, remember, most charging locations are not trailer friendly with pull through access, so you will have to unhitch to charge. Rivian CCS locations will supposedly be trailer friendly, but that network is years out.

So, make sure you pull the trigger on that max battery, because you will need it!!! And, enjoy getting out and about when the truck and the camper show up!

Cheers

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, you can't make it from San Jose to Tahoe City on a full charge in your model X? I am about 40 miles closer, so 200 miles +/-
Based on the details in my post you're replying to, I think you're asking me to confirm that I cannot make it on one charge if I:

- If I charge to 280mi indicated range
- Leave from my point in San Jose to North Lake Tahoe (231 miles indicated on Google Maps for the route I'd take)
- Make the drive in less than ideal weather (some wind, precipitation, etc)
- It's cold for much of the drive (A December early morning, temperature doesn't get above 40Âş on the whole drive), meaning it affects batteries *and* the cabin where we use at least a little heat.
- Climbing the mountain (~Sea level to 6,200 ft)
- Driving at a pace people would consider normal (~70mph in the Bay Area, 75mph in the valley, 60-65mph up two-lane highways in the mountains)

Then, confirmed. There's no way. All of those range affecting factors stack and definitely suck 20% range at least.

Change it up a bit: Can I make the identical drive on a mild May or September day, where weather is 100% a non-issue and the only truly mitigating factor is the elevation?

Yes, but it's a bit close for comfort. Depending on how the drive is going we'll either stop for a few minutes in Rocklin/Loomis or Truckee instead of heading straight to the destination charger.

I'd expect R1T standard with 20ATs to be pretty much exactly like the Model X (If not a bit worse due to aerodynamics)

Can't do it in the winter, maybe in the spring/fall but too close for comfort.

Max pack solves either season ?

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Maybe Tesla is shitty w/ range estimates? 231 miles on a full charge seems well within spec. When I get my R1S perhaps I can say definitely yes or no. I guess we'll see, but I would be disappointed with a loss of 15% as a result of mild temps of + ~30 degrees and a 6k elevation gain

Based on the details in my post you're replying to, I think you're asking me to confirm that I cannot make it on one charge if I:

- If I charge to 280mi indicated range
- Leave from my point in San Jose to North Lake Tahoe (231 miles indicated on Google Maps for the route I'd take)
- Make the drive in less than ideal weather (some wind, precipitation, etc)
- It's cold for much of the drive (A December early morning, temperature doesn't get above 40Âş on the whole drive), meaning it affects batteries *and* the cabin where we use at least a little heat.
- Climbing the mountain (~Sea level to 6,200 ft)
- Driving at a pace people would consider normal (~70mph in the Bay Area, 75mph in the valley, 60-65mph up two-lane highways in the mountains)

Then, confirmed. There's no way. All of those range affecting factors stack and definitely suck 20% range at least.

Change it up a bit: Can I make the identical drive on a mild May or September day, where weather is 100% a non-issue and the only truly mitigating factor is the elevation?

Yes, but it's a bit close for comfort. Depending on how the drive is going we'll either stop for a few minutes in Rocklin/Loomis or Truckee instead of heading straight to the destination charger.

I'd expect R1T standard with 20ATs to be pretty much exactly like the Model X (If not a bit worse due to aerodynamics)

Can't do it in the winter, maybe in the spring/fall but too close for comfort.

Max pack solves either season ?

Last edited:

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see you own an EV, so you have first hand experience.

So you're speaking from a place of experience. That makes sense, anecdotally, for you

You know the ins and outs of charging curves, and cold weather, and highway speeds, and your Model Y works. For you.

I (and I presume P100D) are not trying to convince you that you need more range.

I want EVs to be successful. I want everyone who buys an EV to love it and not have regrets.

I don't want somebody whose ICE car goes 300miles on a tank to think that getting an ICE truck that goes 300 miles on a charger is exactly the same.

That person would be disappointed, would blame it on BEV technology, and perhaps blame it on the rose colored glasses that the "640kb of ram should be enough for everyone" folks handed them.

I went from a 110mi range EV where road tripping was a non starter, to a 300mi range EV where road tripping is possible, but not *ALL* of the road trips I want to take, because the appropriate charging stops make the trip no longer make sense.

I've lived the "mild California weather, flat highway" road trip and compared it directly to the "climb 6,000ft in the cold and snow" road trip.

I've *towed 5,000lbs in an EV before Rivian tried to make towing in an EV cool*

My advice to everyone is: Be *very* sure that your calculus around your range requirements is accurate for 99.9% of your driving.

Because if you're buying a vehicle where you commonly need 90%+ of the stated range, you're going to be disappointed *WAY* more often than you think.

We really shouldn't have to relitigate this every time someone makes the mistake of mentioning the word "miles" in any context on the forum.

Different people have different needs.

It's the absolute height of arrogance to leap down the throat of anyone with different needs and insist that your particular dogma about range is the one true way to configure your vehicle.

Here's a partial but more than sufficient of things that may be more important than range to many (most) buyers:
  1. Ten thousand goddamn dollars
Of course there are many other perfectly legitimate reasons to not want the max pack -
  1. It's wasteful and environmentally destructive to have more battery capacity than you'll regularly use
  2. You're comfortable with more charging stops and/or backup charging options like regen towing
  3. Your typical needs fit well within the range of the Large (or future smaller) pack, which is demonstrably true for the overwhelming majority of American drivers
  4. You prefer the increased payload (and/or storage space, in the R1S) to the marginally increased range
  5. You want your vehicle sooner
  6. Every time you have slightly less range than you might have wanted, you think to yourself, "OK, but would I pay ten thousand goddamn dollars to get out of this predicament?" and on balance, the answer is hell no.

It's exhausting to have to wade through the same insulting spam from these clowns who think nobody else on the planet has ever driven an EV and nobody else could possibly understand their own needs and use cases well enough to make an informed decision.

Range is king for you and that's fine, but yes, it's literally spam to just jump in to every thread that brushes past the topic and post "Range is king" as though it's some kind of axiomatic truth of the universe that you've independently discovered, and which we should be grateful to you for repeating ad nauseum.

This is supposed to be a thread about the monroney sticker and there are perfectly good conversations to be had about the implications (is this a definitive figure for the range hit of the 20" AT tires? Does the 48mi/100kwh figure imply a different usable size for the battery pack? How many VINs have been registered so far? Is the production ramp accelerating? How many employee deliveries do we anticipate?). But instead here we are again relitigating the same tired bullshit because you've decided that you haven't posted your opinions about range loudly enough and in enough places, even though half the forum has muted you for it already.

Get over yourself.
Sponsored