Last edited:

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
@TessP100D, can you elaborate on your obsession with range? You realize that the key for long distance electric vehicle driving is charging speed, not range, correct? This has already been proven ad nauseum.

Get the larger pack for towing, or if you are going camping in the backcountry for a week. Other than that, there will be a CCS charger every 125 to 150 miles on the vast majority of the federal interstate system in the lower 48 states by the time Rivian gets up to speed with deliveries.

Do you realize that a Audi e-Tron with 225 miles of range will get to a location 500 miles away in almost the same time as a Tesla with supposedly 350 miles of range??

And, sorry to get off topic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Unfortunately we don't know ow jack about the charging curve officially other than 140 miles in 20 minutes. The current owners are not reporting flat charging curves. Emme Hall's tweet is the only data point that gives me a glimmer of hope for a far curve.
I am really hoping this information would come out soon and get an idea about the charging curve.
If this thing can do 140 miles in 20 mins, then it averaged ~200KW over 20 mins, which is really impressive.

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
@TessP100D, can you elaborate on your obsession with range? You realize that the key for long distance electric vehicle driving is charging speed, not range, correct?
To your point, battery size isn't key, I think efficiency and charging capability are.

Tugging around a huge damn battery that weighs as much as Rhode Island so that you can get 400 miles of range, or, having motors and system in place that allow a much smaller battery to get you that range... I'll take the latter. Not only am I using less juice, but it will take me less time to charge that smaller battery.

Sponsored

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
To your point, battery size isn't key, I think efficiency and charging capability are.

Tugging around a huge damn battery that weighs as much as Rhode Island so that you can get 400 miles of range, or, having motors and system in place that allow a much smaller battery to get you that range... I'll take the latter. Not only am I using less juice, but it will take me less time to charge that smaller battery.
Totally agree, if they give us 400 mile range with a 600kwh battery pack, driving a Hummer H1 would probably be just as efficient, environmentally friendly and cost just as much on your bank account. Its like saying, how far can my ICE car go is all that matters, I dont care about MPG.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
Get the larger pack for towing, or if you are going camping in the backcountry for a week. Other than that, there will be a CCS charger every 125 to 150 miles on the vast majority of the federal interstate system in the lower 48 states by the time Rivian gets up to speed with deliveries.
I would argue that if one isn’t towing (or hauling heavy loads) or going backcountry camping for a week, that you don’t need a Rivian; a Model 3 or Bolt is just fine. Or a Lightning. I’m interested in an R1T to replace my 4WD ICE pickup which frequently travels 200+ miles in places where there is no EV charging now and in fact no gas stations. So range is important for some of us.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I would argue that if one isn’t towing (or hauling heavy loads) or going backcountry camping for a week, that you don’t need a Rivian; a Model 3 or Bolt is just fine. Or a Lightning. I’m interested in an R1T to replace my 4WD ICE pickup which frequently travels 200+ miles in places where there is no EV charging now and in fact no gas stations. So range is important for some of us.
Well, I am going to have to disagree with you on your first point. How many weekend warriors drive an F-150 currently, and they are not towing or hauling anything, nor going backcountry camping?

Hell, I am not hauling or towing anything, but it would be fun to take Weston Pass on my drive to Aspen from Denver instead of hwy 285 to Buena Vista or I-70 to Glenwood Springs. The Rivian will allow me to do that in the future again, since I used to do it in my Range Rover. My current cars do not have off road capabilities to drive an unpaved high mountain pass.

Also, it seems like you are on the cusp of exceeding the capabilities of the Rivian in what you described even with the larger battery pack. If you are exceeding 200 miles of driving in remote locations, you may not have enough charge to get back since rough driving conditions will reduce efficiency and chew through battery. Not to mention the reduced battery capability in cold temperatures.

That will be half the fun of getting a Rivian - testing it to its range limits and enhancing the lifestyle you lead, or want to lead. The other half will be how good the car looks in your garage or drive way!

Anyway, we are way off topic in this thread at this point. Cheers.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Folks, my comment about lack of "MSRP" nomenclature is in context with EV Rebate legal terminology. It's to the market (our) advantage for Rivian to make it crystal clear that the base price without any options, packages, etc. is the MSRP.

I might be overthinking this but gov't paid people deciding Rebate coverage don't like ambiguity.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Folks, my comment about lack of "MSRP" nomenclature is in context with EV Rebate legal terminology. It's to the market (our) advantage for Rivian to make it crystal clear that the base price without any options, packages, etc. is the MSRP.

I might be overthinking this but gov't paid people deciding Rebate coverage don't like ambiguity.
As it stands, it will be up to the IRS to interpret and define the intent of "MSRP" in the bill. Since they don't refer to "base MSRP", it is at least somewhat likely to be the specific vehicle "as equipped".

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Obviously more range is better, but I recently drove to Yosemite from the SF Bay Area. It was a 5 hour drive with dinner, bathroom breaks, etc. Still way under 250 miles. And I wanted to drive no more. Meaning a 280 mile day is not my cup of tea....

And then guess what? Yosemite has chargers in the valley. There are charges also on the way. Same for going to Lake Tahoe. Or up the coast. Or to Socal. So, my range anxiety is certainly lowering.

I get that California is covered in chargers, but I think the rest of the US is going to catch up pretty quickly.

So would I like 400+ miles? Sure. Can I live with 280? Yeah...

Not spam... Because he's not wrong.

Range is king.

Max pack 4 lyfe

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I recently posted this in another thread on this topic. Cut and pasting to here:

I really don’t buy in to the range is king argument at all. For most people nearly every EV on the market can be charged at home and only need to visit a fast charger a handful of times a year. Most Americans drive less than 50 - 100 miles a day for over 350 days a year. Unless you:
- road trip very often for greater than 200 miles one way
- go to remote places with little charging infrastructure
- tow things frequently
- are in the extreme range of daily driving habits
- can’t setup a home charger
then a 300 mile range car (210 miles when only charged to 70%) is sooo much more than you need. Prioritizing exteme range vehicles to make a few days a year slightly more convenient seems odd. to put it another way, for many people the max pack is a $10,000 expense to save a few hours a year of time sitting at a charger.

If you fall in to those categories then yes range is king and perhaps ev’s aren’t yet ready for you. For the rest of us a real world highway range of 250+ miles is totally reasonable.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
@TessP100D, can you elaborate on your obsession with range? You realize that the key for long distance electric vehicle driving is charging speed, not range, correct? This has already been proven ad nauseum.

Do you realize that a Audi e-Tron with 225 miles of range will get to a location 500 miles away in almost the same time as a Tesla with supposedly 350 miles of range??
I agree and don't get why it has to be so complicated as if EV's are different from gas cars in this respect when they are not. No one talks about range in an ICE car because it doesn't matter when you can refill in 5 minutes. EV's are getting to the point when you can effectively do the same in 20-30 minutes, which in the grand scheme of things (and only applies a few times a year) is just a statistic and not really meaningful. But like you said, there are specific use cases that require more range, but then range is not king, it's just one attribute like any other option in a car that people can prioritize.

It happens a lot and is a phenomenon with all tech, people become so entranced by specs without actually thinking about whether they matter in the real world. I've gotta have the new Intel processor because according to this test it achieves more gigaflops of processing power that can only be measured with a specific program/tool because a human being can't tell the difference....

It's no coincidence that as soon as Tesla no longer could tout their range superiority, they overnight flipped to saying most people don't need more than x miles of range......It's a sales tactic for lemmings.
Well, I am going to have to disagree with you on your first point. How many weekend warriors drive an F-150 currently, and they are not towing or hauling anything, nor going backcountry camping?
Agree, the vast majority of Rivians will never see anything more than gravel. Rarely do people make purchases based on what they need, they make purchases for many other reasons. In this case, just like with trucks and Jeeps, buyers of Rivians will often be of the type that wish they were more adventurous or like the image that presents to the world by driving it.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Funny, I think of myself as an "off road guy" and a have a semi-legit 4x4. I recently was in the Sierra Buttes and decided to take a 4x4 only road...Ha! I found myself rock crawling with no space to turn around, no high lift jack if a blew a tire, and way way more hectic than I imagined. 45 min of white knuckled driving. I was thinking gravel road when I was like "Sure, I have 4 wheel drive".

So, short version, happy to have the Rivian in those circumstances, but in reality that (for me at least) is a once in a very blue moon affair. 99% asphalt...

And yes I am getting the 20's and off road package for .01% of my driving :p

I agree and don't get why it has to be so complicated as if EV's are different from gas cars in this respect when they are not. No one talks about range in an ICE car because it doesn't matter when you can refill in 5 minutes. EV's are getting to the point when you can effectively do the same in 20-30 minutes, which in the grand scheme of things (and only applies a few times a year) is just a statistic and not really meaningful. But like you said, there are specific use cases that require more range, but then range is not king, it's just one attribute like any other option in a car that people can prioritize.

It happens a lot and is a phenomenon with all tech, people become so entranced by specs without actually thinking about whether they matter in the real world. I've gotta have the new Intel processor because according to this test it achieves more gigaflops of processing power that can only be measured with a specific program/tool because a human being can't tell the difference....

It's no coincidence that as soon as Tesla no longer could tout their range superiority, they overnight flipped to saying most people don't need more than x miles of range......It's a sales tactic for lemmings.

Agree, the vast majority of Rivians will never see anything more than gravel. Rarely do people make purchases based on what they need, they make purchases for many other reasons. In this case, just like with trucks and Jeeps, buyers of Rivians will often be of the type that wish they were more adventurous or like the image that presents to the world by driving it.
Sponsored