Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Most emergency braking systems also will be overrided when the driver presses the accelerator. If the driver takes active action the car lets the driver have control. I am pretty sure the R1T manual says that is how it works as well. So it very well could be driver error. It also could be a driver accepting fault to hide a vehicle problem. We don’t know.
Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Can't identify stationary objects...? You kidding me...? Other car makers collision avoidance been identifying stationary objects for over 10yrs. I guess Rivian thinks its ok to drive into a wall since they are not people, cars, bikes and motorcycles.

Maybe, if you put a woman and her baby stroller in front of the hedge the car would have stopped. :rolleyes:
I’m not talking from experience with Rivian. I’m talking about collision avoidance with all other manufacturers. If you are driving down a road and drive off the road, the vehicle will not brake for you.
Radar detects moving objects with the most accuracy. This is also why Tesla Autopilot has historically had issues detecting stopped emergency vehicles on the highway. The radar can’t tell the difference between a stopped fire truck and an overhead sign, so it ignores the object and slams into a fire truck.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Most emergency braking systems also will be overrided when the driver presses the accelerator. If the driver takes active action the car lets the driver have control.
Yup yup... the driver has to be able to override the support system at a moments notice. Anyone that has had AutoPilot or FSD active on a freeway doing 60-75MPH and then have your Tesla "phantom break" knows this well.

Just because your vehicle has advanced safety and assistance capabilities, does not mean you get to be an inattentive driver (when AP/FSD is active in my Tesla, I always keep one hand on the wheel and a foot near the peddles).

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yup yup... the driver has to be able to override the support system at a moments notice. Anyone that has had AutoPilot or FSD active on a freeway doing 60-75MPH and then have your Tesla "phantom break" knows this well.

Just because your vehicle has advanced safety and assistance capabilities, does not mean you get to be an inattentive driver (when AP/FSD is active in my Tesla, I always keep one hand on the wheel and a foot near the peddles).

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T first crash ? 1632761895746

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
This still reads like a Sport Launch or similar with the corner coming up much quicker that the driver anticipated and all attempts to whoa the vehicle were futile at that point. Doesn't matter if was AEB or mashing the brake pedal.
Going too fast into a corner is not something AEB is designed to prevent. By the time the vehicle "saw" the hedge and other obstacles, it was too late.
Driver at that point was likely hard on the brakes and cranking the wheel. Hitting the curb with the wheels at an angle broke the tie rod. Vehicle continued over the grass and thru the hedge striking the parked vehicles. Ooops.
Excessive speed (driver error) is by far the simplest answer to "What happened?"

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My take....

After 10s of thousands of miles on probably close to 100 vehicles (we do not know the actual number of preproduction mules) in the past 2 years out driving around to gather real world data, pretty sure if there was a major defect this would not be the first crash.

Sometimes an accident is just that, an accident....

Andy96734

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX 90D 2016
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

When you compare the bird’s eye map view it looks like a bit too much info/phone system and not enough attention system? and car stayed straight on the curve. At least in the building facing the crash site is Shoei Saftey Helmet Corp.

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Hmm. From the tracks through the grass, either the wheels were spinning (vehicle accelerating), or maybe it was going at a high rate of speed, hopped the curb and the driver slammed on the brakes and locked up the wheels as they skid over the grass and through the hedge. Interesting at how far back the ford was pushed...

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
Rivian and Rivian buyers,

Don’t allow our post these posts. No one knows what happened and the optics are really bad. That is to say the driver must be a complete moron. Look at the tracks!!!!

Sponsored

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
The lack of damage to the Rivian bumper had me worried. The vehicle is supposed to sacrifice itself via crumple zones to save the occupants. I know that is counter intuitive. But if a car looks good after bad accident that is a bad thing.

To me it looks like the Rivian was airborne a it's bumper hit the hood of the Ford. The wheel of the Rivian hit the engine block of the Ford pushing the wheel back against the rear of the wheel well. We don't have a picture of the front of the ford to confirm. The hole in the bushes is wider than the vehicle, suggesting it bounced sideways after hitting the Ford.

My mother was driving an older '90s Thunderbird. The crash badly injured her but the car was still drivable. The other car was totaled but the driver was uninjured.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Jalopnik reached out to Rivian about the crash and received this (expected) reply:

UPDATE: We got a response from Rivian:

“A Rivian-owned prototype vehicle was involved in an accident near our Irvine facility yesterday. The Rivian employee at the wheel was uninjured, and the accident’s cause was driver error. All safety features performed as intended.”

https://jalopnik.com/the-first-rivian-r1t-crash-has-happened-and-its-a-weird-1847730167
Taking one for the team.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The lack of damage to the Rivian bumper had me worried. The vehicle is supposed to sacrifice itself via crumple zones to save the occupants. I know that is counter intuitive. But if a car looks good after bad accident that is a bad thing.
Crumple zones are there to prevent the engine and transmission from ending up in the lap of the driver and passenger by being pushed backwards on impact. They collapse to absorb impact since the most dense components in the entire vehicle are located directly in front of the driver's knees. If all that you have in front of you in a Rivian is grocery bags or luggage, that need for crumple zones is not nearly as important and you don't need to have those areas collapse.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Crumple zones are there to prevent the engine and transmission from ending up in the lap of the driver and passenger by being pushed backwards on impact. They collapse to absorb impact since the most dense components in the entire vehicle are located directly in front of the driver's knees. If all that you have in front of you in a Rivian is grocery bags or luggage, that need for crumple zones is not nearly as important and you don't need to have those areas collapse.
That's a benefit of crumple zones, but not the only one and maybe not the largest. The crumple zone distributes kinetic energy over a bigger area. It also increases the distant over which the safety cage is decelerating, which means the rate of deceleration is lower. The old saying about "3 impacts in a car wreck" is really 4 with modern cars: 1) car with other object 2) safety cage with the deformed parts of the car's crumple zones 3) person hitting something within the safety cage 4) person's organs colliding inside the body.
Sponsored