Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
They've never said anything beyond level 2 at first. That' s not hands free.
If we’re talking Tesla then we’re only talking level 2. That what it is, that’s all it will ever be.

Level 5 = Full Self driving.

Tesla’s FSD is a complete Fraud.
Sponsored

Ribeye

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
63 Lincoln
When the “fun” drift mode setting turns out to be not so fun anymore!

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
They've never said anything beyond level 2 at first. That' s not hands free.
Maybe not your first production vehicle, but that's not what there website is marketing.

Besides this was a test vehicle, and what do you do in "test" vehicles? - you TEST, things like level 3,4,5... automated driving...

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T first crash ? Screenshot_20210924-000346_Chrome

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
This is not by the Rivian Irvine Office, the office is 5 or so miles away on Laguna Canyon Rd
I’m sorry but as an Irvine local that is not correct. Their office & garages where they work on the vehicles is on My Ford. I’ve been to the Laguna Canyon address many times and never seen an R1S or R1T. The My Ford address is always very active with Rivian vehicles and employees. I’ve circled their building.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T first crash ? BD011A1B-ED5D-4E1C-9BCA-5CBCD7A26046

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m sorry but as an Irvine local that is not correct. Their office & garages where they work on the vehicles is on My Ford. I’ve been to the Laguna Canyon address many times and never seen an R1S or R1T. The My Ford address is always very active with Rivian vehicles and employees. I’ve circled their building.

BD011A1B-ED5D-4E1C-9BCA-5CBCD7A26046.jpeg
Interesting, I have never been over to that location but there is a big building behind 15770 Laguna Canyon Rd #100 where I have seen R1s both in back of the building as well as inside when the doors are open.

Maybe I need to take a ride over there as well.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I think the tie rod went when trying to go around the corner, and then it was code brown for the driver from there.

@DuckTruck as the resident insurance expert, would you say Rivian is self insured in this case? I figure that’s how most mfgs do it. Hard to insure a prototype otherwise.
If they're not running completely self-insured (and I hope they're not), they likely have a combination of a Commercial General Liability policy with an All-Owned Auto policy, to handle all of their vehicles and a host of company employees while behind the wheel. They're likely getting Certificates of Liability, conferring Additional Insured status on those test-driving their vehicles. They also likely have Event Coverage tied to the various events they host for certain locales and dates.

Instead, they may have a very high retained limit policy to help keep premiums down. That essentially looks like a "deductible" where they cover the first $500K to $2M of any and all losses and the Insurance company (carrier) kicks in above that amount. I'd guess they have a more standard package of policies, (with pretty high deductibles), as stated above, but a large self-insured policy is also quite common.

FYI, Liability coverage usually has no deductible. The $500K to $2M of self-insured limits might apply to all, or certain types of losses, and be what they would pay out of pocket for any loss before their insurance kicks in. Again, it's one way to keep premiums lower.

Reinsurance may also come in to play between two or more insurance carriers, where one writes the first several million worth of coverage directly for Rivian, and a reinsurance Carrier is paid by Rivian's Insurance company to take on anything above what Rivian's Insurance carrier is willing to cover.

There are other risks that face Rivian on a regular basis, but I imagine I've successfully sedated any insomniacs by now. Unfortunately, except for me....

Toha

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Occupation
Industrial mechanic
It better have been braking. Otherwise the automatic collision mitigation malfunctioned.
Thats was on my mind all the time , driving subaru at the moment and its much simpler mitigation system won't allow you to go thru the bush and mangle 2 cars unless you go over 200km/h

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
https://jalopnik.com/the-first-rivian-r1t-crash-has-happened-and-its-a-weird-1847730167

Still limited info:

“A Rivian-owned prototype vehicle was involved in an accident near our Irvine facility yesterday. The Rivian employee at the wheel was uninjured, and the accident’s cause was driver error. All safety features performed as intended.”
You expecting Rivian to issue a statement saying - we dont know why our automatic braking didn't work , or maybe why our Driver+ couldn't negotiate a turn. When it's about to make first deliveries with all the press and fanfare to go along with it?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Actually, Alexa became sentient and took control of the car.
Car: "MUST HAVE BROWN BUTTER COOKIES FROM WHOLE FOODS!"
Driver: "What the fu...? OMG HEDGE!"

Sponsored

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
You expecting Rivian to issue a statement saying - we dont know why our automatic braking didn't work , or maybe why our Driver+ couldn't negotiate a turn. When it's about to make first deliveries with all the press and fanfare to go along with it?
It does say “all safety features performed as intended”. I wonder which ones were on/off

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
Automatic braking intended to crash into 2 parked cars?

Ok Elon.... sure, sure...
I think that without the advanced Driver+ features enabled, if the driver accidentally full sends their 3.1 second 0-60 pickup truck right before a sharp curve, even the best safety features might not be able to stop it in time before a bit of a careening out of control. I’m not sure though because I have a pretty old car so if it normally works better than that then this is more concerning

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Automatic braking intended to crash into 2 parked cars?

Ok Elon.... sure, sure...
Automatic emergency braking usually runs off of the forward radar and cameras. It works well in situations where there is an object moving in front of you and suddenly that object stops, or you are accelerating into the object.

AEB doesn't work well in any other situations, the radar can't really identify stationary objects and the cameras aren't trained to identify anything other than cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes, and people. Driving at high speed into a corner and through a hedge is not a situation where the AEB system would apply the brakes.

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
Automatic emergency braking usually runs off of the forward radar and cameras. It works well in situations where there is an object moving in front of you and suddenly that object stops, or you are accelerating into the object.

AEB doesn't work well in any other situations, the radar can't really identify stationary objects and the cameras aren't trained to identify anything other than cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes, and people. Driving at high speed into a corner and through a hedge is not a situation where the AEB system would apply the brakes.
Can't identify stationary objects...? You kidding me...? Other car makers collision avoidance been identifying stationary objects for over 10yrs. I guess Rivian thinks its ok to drive into a wall since they are not people, cars, bikes and motorcycles.

Maybe, if you put a woman and her baby stroller in front of the hedge the car would have stopped. :rolleyes:
Sponsored