Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
dude I was checking this 1 hour ago, Irvine county has specific reqs and not available to public but how hilarious you thought of that as did I LOL.
Hmmm. Maybe one our forum friends, say in the insurance field, in California, could pry it out with a request for a copy? Or bending the rules too much?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I think the tie rod went when trying to go around the corner, and then it was code brown for the driver from there.
That wouldn't match the very straight tracks across the grass. If the loss of control was because of a broken tie rod, the left wheel wouldn't have tracked straight that far. If the tie rod is broken, it almost certainly happened on impact with one of the other cars.

Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Yikes, hope it wasn't driver+.
Given that this wasn't a highway, I don't think it would be a Driver+ issue. Not impossible since it's a test vehicle, though.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T first crash ? 1632407818547

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Same exact R1T prototype from its better days. ?

Could be but they were running with the ATs at the time of the crash.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Screenshot_20210923-003034.png

Looks like there is at least one camera in the area on the corner of the building to the north east of the turn. If it was pointing at the entrance of the parking lot it's next to, this would all be on "tape" somewhere. I'm sure they'll be getting a call from the NHTSA tomorrow.

Like everyone has said, really hope this was just an unfortunate traffic situation and hope everyone was OK, but I'm sure the driver will have a tough time sleeping the next few days.
“On tape”?! ?
you mean filmed? ?

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

That wouldn't match the very straight tracks across the grass. If the loss of control was because of a broken tie rod, the left wheel wouldn't have tracked straight that far. If the tie rod is broken, it almost certainly happened on impact with one of the other cars.
I would actually argue the opposite and help explain the S shape of the left track.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I would actually argue the opposite and help explain the S shape of the left track.
To me it looks like impact with the curb broke the tie rod.

The wheel cranked right + excessive speed + brakes hammered = a straight(ish) line of travel.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Hmm... could be. I was reading that as an optical illusion due to the slope of that hill. Now that I look at the Google Street View though, I think I was misreading several parts of that hill. The photo of the wreck distorts several things, so, yeah, maybe that's what happened. Or maybe the tie rod broke when the R1T hit the curb.

If the tie rod simply failed while driving down the street, that's a potentially disastrous issue that Rivian must resolve before it ships any cars to customers. If it failed because of a direct hit on that curb at 30+ mph, then I'm not as concerned.

Deleted member 3282

Man that is crazy. Pretty light damage to the Rivian compared to the other vehicles.

Lets just hope it wasn't the autonomous driving system. If so we are going to have some delays.
That’s exactly what I’m worried about. Seems likely to me it could be a Driver+ mishap.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
In my dream world, Rivian would share its autopsy findings. Surely they engineers are going to analyze every part of this vehicle. What I'm most interested in is what damage the suspension/drivetrain suffered from this impact. This appears to be the second tie-rod failure with very limited mileage/reviews, and those are quite important if I'm bashing this thing on a trail or rock-crawling.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hmm... could be. I was reading that as an optical illusion due to the slope of that hill. Now that I look at the Google Street View though, I think I was misreading several parts of that hill. The photo of the wreck distorts several things, so, yeah, maybe that's what happened. Or maybe the tie rod broke when the R1T hit the curb.

If the tie rod simply failed while driving down the street, that's a potentially disastrous issue that Rivian must resolve before it ships any cars to customers. If it failed because of a direct hit on that curb at 30+ mph, then I'm not as concerned.
No way a broken tie rod caused this much damage without other mitigating factors. From 40 or 45 mph, you easily could have stopped the truck or at least scrubbed enough speed to limit the damage before that impact.

Deleted member 3282

Let's see.... younger male driver making an error (this is obviously a very rare occurrence /s) or major software defect with Diver+ safety features that are only enabled on "certain highways at launch"?

Idk y'all... tough to tell.
Or… prototype being driven with beta/future version of Driver+
Sponsored