Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Clearly preproduction testing of the Rivian insurance.
I have a relative that used to work in claims for a major insurer who said they would have to total some Teslas in seemingly minor accidents with no body damage. Problem: a cracked battery tray.
Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I wonder what the fluid is that's leaking from the Rivian...

Simply a cracked washer fluid bottle or maybe hydraulic fluid from a damaged suspension?

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I wonder what the fluid is that's leaking from the Rivian...

Simply a cracked washer fluid bottle or maybe hydraulic fluid from a damaged suspension?
Battery coolant?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I hope it wasn't brake failure but that seems the most likely to me. That's a tight turn.

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I hope it wasn't brake failure but that seems the most likely to me. That's a tight turn.
The simplest answer is the most likely answer. Driver was going to fast and/or not paying attention, and "failed to negotiate the turn" as the police say.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
The chance this particular wreck was from brake failure is very close to zero. As you say, it is a tight turn. As the golfer pictured above will attest, it only takes a second or two of inattention to drive straight off the road in a situation like this and subsequently quickly encounter significant impediments to forward progress.
Well, I guess one thing we can certain of. It definitely won the argument with the bushes.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
How heavy does a car have to be to inflict that much damage to other cars while only incurring minor damage to itself?
These are considerably heavier than an equivalent ICE truck and have a much lower center of gravity.

Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
That looks like some seriously bad driving... but it looks like it fared well, at least better than the Ford did.
Say @kanundrum can your sleuthing skills retrieve a copy of the police report? Ought to be filed by now and should be public record, or at least the front page. It ought to have driver’s narrative of what happened.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Say @kanundrum can your sleuthing skills retrieve a copy of the police report? Ought to be filed by now and should be public record, or at least the front page. It ought to have driver’s narrative of what happened.

dude I was checking this 1 hour ago, Irvine county has specific reqs and not available to public but how hilarious you thought of that as did I LOL.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I'm not sure I'm seeing evidence that the tie-rod is broken, as we can't see the right front wheel to see if it's turned-in to the left as well.
Look at the profile of the bottom of the right wheel/tire - it's clearly quite oblique to the left:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T first crash ? 1632404958534

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Maybe it's the UI dev in me but I'm absolutely not assuming user error without more info. If the crash is what it looks like, which to me is a parked car completely ejected out of its parking spot, another car taking a hit from either the parked car or the Rivian and the Rivian having bounced back off of its tracks just a couple feet, it drives a point home for me.

A common and I think fair criticism of larger EVs is the mass. These trucks are much heavier than similar-sized vehicles and they have batshit acceleration. They can do a lot of damage to the other guy even in accidents you might be able to drive away from. We all need to take that very seriously. This is not a truck for distracted drivers or a good first hand-me-down vehicle for a teenager no matter how exceptionally mature they are.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think the tie rod went when trying to go around the corner, and then it was code brown for the driver from there.

@DuckTruck as the resident insurance expert, would you say Rivian is self insured in this case? I figure that’s how most mfgs do it. Hard to insure a prototype otherwise.
Sponsored