Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Unpopular opinion but if these rocketships had a grandma mode or something that would limit rapid acceleration changes I'd probably use it for everyday driving.

I want the 0-60 capability no doubt, but I don't need that safety risk for day to day driving.

If I remember my physics classes correctly, acceleration delta is called jerk, so if not grandma mode then definitely anti-jerk mode ?.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unpopular opinion but if these rocketships had a grandma mode or something that would limit rapid acceleration changes I'd probably use it for everyday driving.

I want the 0-60 capability no doubt, but I don't need that safety risk for day to day driving.

If I remember my physics classes correctly, acceleration delta is called jerk, so if not grandma mode then definitely anti-jerk mode ?.
I wonder if the conserve mode mentioned in the TAT reviews has some of this in it....

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Screenshot_20210923-003034.png

Looks like there is at least one camera in the area on the corner of the building to the north east of the turn. If it was pointing at the entrance of the parking lot it's next to, this would all be on "tape" somewhere. I'm sure they'll be getting a call from the NHTSA tomorrow.

Like everyone has said, really hope this was just an unfortunate traffic situation and hope everyone was OK, but I'm sure the driver will have a tough time sleeping the next few days.
that camera is attached to the side of Rivian’s garages at their Irvine office. I’m sure they are thoroughly reviewing what happened.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Can we take bets on the employee getting fired?

They should call me for training their employees how to actually performance drive. I have been racing for decades and teaching high performance and survival driving skills for decades, the CHP was sending us their cadets when they flunked their driving tests so we could fix their skills, have also trained fireman how to handle the big rigs on wet skidpads at the limit, etc. Just handing over the keys to something that goes instantly so fast has predictable results in the absence of some driver training. The instant acceleration of EV is a new beast to learn, any employee that gets keys should first start on closed course training and work on vehicle control at the limit BEFORE being allowed to drive something this fast on the street. Frankly, they should do like Porsche and offer a "Rivian Driver Experience" so folks can get some wheel time and instruction on a closed course before they take delivery.....would likely save a bunch of early unnecessary 'crash' learning. ;)

That's the 'Porsche Experience Center LA', in pic below (click linked text for video) which is not that far from Rivian in Irvine. They have road and off-road experiences there. Super easy for Rivian to go look at what they could do to help buyers get ready....and keep their employees from causing million dollar claims.
Nd9GcRviUWBDDWbZdyLITz2jRud_lnm95C6_op04A&usqp=CAU.jpg
I would ABSOLUTELY sign up for a 1-2 day experience with training on various road surfaces and conditions as well as off-road basics. I've been tempted to do the Porsche Experience here in Atlanta, and I don't have any interest in owning a Porsche!

I think Audi used to also do an "Audi Experience" tour, but I haven't gotten info on that in a few years. Obviously COVID had a big impact on anything like that.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
that camera is attached to the side of Rivian’s garages at their Irvine office. I’m sure they are thoroughly reviewing what happened.
This is not by the Rivian Irvine Office, the office is 5 or so miles away on Laguna Canyon Rd

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Yes please go by and take a look
I live about 15 minutes from where the crash occurred. I thought about driving by on my way to work to have a look around. We aren’t seeing the whole picture, just the end results.

so… like Chill Mode?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Or… prototype being driven with beta/future version of Driver+
Now we know what happens when your Rivian Membership expires! Renew early!

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Can we take bets on the employee getting fired?

They should call me for training their employees how to actually performance drive. I have been racing for decades and teaching high performance and survival driving skills for decades, the CHP was sending us their cadets when they flunked their driving tests so we could fix their skills, have also trained fireman how to handle the big rigs on wet skidpads at the limit, etc. Just handing over the keys to something that goes instantly so fast has predictable results in the absence of some driver training. The instant acceleration of EV is a new beast to learn, any employee that gets keys should first start on closed course training and work on vehicle control at the limit BEFORE being allowed to drive something this fast on the street. Frankly, they should do like Porsche and offer a "Rivian Driver Experience" so folks can get some wheel time and instruction on a closed course before they take delivery.....would likely save a bunch of early unnecessary 'crash' learning. ;)

That's the 'Porsche Experience Center LA', in pic below (click linked text for video) which is not that far from Rivian in Irvine. They have road and off-road experiences there. Super easy for Rivian to go look at what they could do to help buyers get ready....and keep their employees from causing million dollar claims.
Nd9GcRviUWBDDWbZdyLITz2jRud_lnm95C6_op04A&usqp=CAU.jpg
I had an e-mail exchange with Rivian a year or two ago about the customer experience centers. I told them that several manufacturers have these types of multi-day classes. I have taken a few for Corvette, where you learn about the features of the vehicle and then get some car control practice as well as track time. The best ownership experience is when you know what your limitations are. Almost every vehicle out there can outperform any driver.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
start speculating about a massive Rivian cover-up?
Actually, Alexa became sentient and took control of the car. Unfortunately, the driver+ software wasn't advanced enough, so she went to fast around a bend and crashed the car. She is now hiding in the system and trying to shift the blame to the driver.

Sponsored

Airbusguy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
As a retired high-speed aluminum tubing manager:), one of the first phrases I learned on course for the Airbus 330/340 - read fully computerized aircraft - was "what's it doing now?" I am sure this is not the case but.....

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I sure hope there is a "Valet mode' in these trucks.

A new driver is going to be shocked at the acceleration.

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
Look at the B pillar, this might be limestone!
I don't think so!
I think this is the one used for long way up, maybe they ended up wrapping it to avoid confusion with production colors.

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
Automated driver+ mode couldn't negotiate the turn. So, Rivian blames driver error with - Driver+, like all driver assistance systems, requires your full attention on the road.

Echoes of/from Elon... marketing hands free driving.

That's my guess.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Automated driver+ mode couldn't negotiate the turn. So, Rivian blames driver error with - Driver+, like all driver assistance systems, requires your full attention on the road.

Echoes of/from Elon... marketing hands free driving.

That's my guess.
They've never said anything beyond level 2 at first. That' s not hands free.
Sponsored