Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year (NACTOY) Awards have just announced the candidates for Vehicle of the Year in various categories:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-2022-vehicle-award-candidates-301314704.html

The Rivian R1T is on the list for Truck of the Year, but the R1S is missing from the list of Utility Vehicle of the Year.

One of the criteria is that the vehicle be available for sale by the end of the year. I'm wondering if the NACTOY panel has reason to believe the R1S will not make the on-sale deadline?
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

At the very least, they (like most) know the R1T will be first and may want to highlight the brand, as much as anything else. It leaves the possibility open to highlight the R1S next year.

OP
OP

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think so. Here is the description of the judging panel:

"Judged by a jury of 50 professional automotive journalists from the United States and Canada who work for and contribute to independent magazines, newspapers, websites, television and radio stations, the North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year (NACTOY) Awards honor excellence in innovation, design, safety, performance, technology, driver satisfaction and value. Founded in 1994 by veteran auto journalist Christopher Jensen, they are the longest-running new-vehicle awards not associated with a single publication, website, radio or television station, a structure that produces a diverse base of jurors."

I think trying to drive this panel to a fore-ordained conclusion would be like trying to herd cats.

Also, what NACTOY just released was a list of candidates for the awards, not nominees. Any new vehicle that met the published criteria was put on the candidate list with no other selection process involved.

The R1T met all the published criteria, as did the R1S -- except possibly one: on sale by year end.

OP
OP

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At the very least, they (like most) know the R1T will be first and may want to highlight the brand, as much as anything else. It leaves the possibility open to highlight the R1S next year.
If I understand the process correctly, neither the manufacturer nor NACTOY decide what vehicles are candidates for consideration other than by the published criteria.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T eligible for North American Truck of the Year Award Limestone Rivian R1T color 4 (1)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If I understand the process correctly, neither the manufacturer nor NACTOY decide what vehicles are candidates for consideration other than by the published criteria.

The R1T met all the published criteria, as did the R1S -- except possibly one: on sale by year end.
If they determine that the year of the first R1S sale is likely not 2021, it appears that one item would be a deal-breaker for this year. I'd imagine the R1S would be a shoe-in for candidacy in 2022, especially if the R1T takes off and rocks the automotive world on all 0 cylinders.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If they determine that the year of the first R1S sale is likely not 2021, it appears that one item would be a deal-breaker for this year. I'd imagine the R1S would be a shoe-in for candidacy in 2022, especially if the R1T takes off and rocks the automotive world on all 0 cylinders.
Yep, I'm pretty sure the R1S will be a candidate next year if it doesn't qualify this year.

I was mostly interested in the absence of the R1S from this year's candidate list as a possible signal that the awards panel might have gotten information that the R1S wouldn't make this year's on-sale deadline and thus should not join the R1T in eligibility.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I was mostly interested in the absence of the R1S from this year's candidate list as a possible signal that the awards panel might have gotten information that the R1S wouldn't make this year's on-sale deadline and thus should not join the R1T in eligibility.
Doubtful. They are considering the Tesla Cybertruck despite even Elon Musk saying it won't be in production this year.

OP
OP

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Doubtful. They are considering the Tesla Cybertruck despite even Elon Musk saying it won't be in production this year.
You're right. Didn't notice that. It puts me a little more at ease, as I am now out of extended warranty on my Tesla and need either my R1S or Lucid Air to get here soon.

Thanks.
Sponsored