Sponsored

aliendepict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, BMW M235i, BMW M3
Occupation
Cloud engineering
Not sure if this has been corrected, just saw this and wondered if it was the issue I have, from a dead start after the truck is in "hold" reverse or forward I get a slight click noise. I figured it was just it coming off of the calipers as they slid back.

Double checked my CV axles front and back and no movement... VIN:86XX going to assume it's just the calipers for now as it only does it from hold ie. If I slow down to 1 or 2 mph and reapply power no noise. Just crossed 650 miles.

Rivian101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor
With less than a 1000 miles my passenger side upper CV boot is torn. I’ve got grease splatter underneath the service center advised it’s okay to drive for now. Waiting on the necessary replacement parts.

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Power steering pump running constantly will also decrease the life of the power steering pump.

Peasi520vT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 GTS, B7 RS4, B8 S4, 15' Tahoe LTZ, 87'4000cs
Clubs

Yup, same issue I noticed as soon as I took delivery in May. That same night, I took it for a spin and it was noticable in the front. It was more pronounced in "all purpose mode". However, in the lower suspension settings the noise is still there but not as bad as if it were higher up. I told the service center, something is not right in the front especially over bumps. Truck was there for about 10 days or so for other stuff as well.
Basically, the service advisor blew some smoke up you know where and said everything is fine up front and that since it's an EV certain noises are more pronounced since it's a quiet vehicle. I told them something is not right it needs to be corrected. If enough of us say something eventually they may issue a recall. It could be a huge batch of defective axles in our trucks.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
There should be ZERO joint play in any CV or driveshaft ujoint. This is absolutely a source of noise when torque is applied (and removed). See below also, it's my current theory on that issue as well.

It would explain why my steering vibration is happening intermittently. Sometimes the driveshaft maintains alignment and sometimes it's out of alignment while it spins.
100%, I had that EXACT conversation with someone immediately after watching this video, and a couple conversations after as well.

Joneholland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yup, same issue I noticed as soon as I took delivery in May. That same night, I took it for a spin and it was noticable in the front. It was more pronounced in "all purpose mode". However, in the lower suspension settings the noise is still there but not as bad as if it were higher up. I told the service center, something is not right in the front especially over bumps. Truck was there for about 10 days or so for other stuff as well.
Basically, the service advisor blew some smoke up you know where and said everything is fine up front and that since it's an EV certain noises are more pronounced since it's a quiet vehicle. I told them something is not right it needs to be corrected. If enough of us say something eventually they may issue a recall. It could be a huge batch of defective axles in our trucks.
Which service center?

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I suspect that Rivian's front driveshafts incorporate a ball spline (to accommodate the extreme "plunge" motion of the R1 suspension). I noticed in the OP's video that the driveshaft diameter is larger inboard than outboard. If my suspicion is true, then Rivian's driveshafts are different from the garden-variety front-wheel-drive driveshafts which typically incorporate an inboard tripod joint to accommodate plunge.

I found a couple images to illustrate ball spline driveshafts. Top image is a Chevrolet Performance aftermarket driveshaft for the ZR2 Colorado ($4700 for a pair). The bottom image is a cutaway from a GKN Automotive website.

The movement that the OP demonstrated in his video may or may not be normal for ball spline driveshafts. I'm not an expert. I'm just a farmer, and I know just enough to be controversial.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T CV axle failure missed by service center fixed_ball_joint_sio_plus_ballspline

Last edited:

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

I didn’t watch the video but if you are moving the shaft in and out on the inner joint this is normal. The outer joints are typically fixed and the balls/cage are held in place with a snap ring or c-clip inside the boot. The inner joint is a different design called a stroking joint and as the suspension arcs through it’s range of movement the inner joint has the ability to allow the CV shaft to move in and out over a small range. This is normal. On some more severe articulation cases there is often a sliding splined shaft (usually with ball bearings but sometimes just splined against a splined mate). The Rivian could be different design but this is the typical setup.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I didn’t watch the video but if you are moving the shaft in and out on the inner joint this is normal. The outer joints are typically fixed and the balls/cage are held in place with a snap ring or c-clip inside the boot. The inner joint is a different design called a stroking joint and as the suspension arcs through it’s range of movement the inner joint has the ability to allow the CV shaft to move in and out over a small range. This is normal. On some more severe articulation cases there is often a sliding splined shaft (usually with ball bearings but sometimes just splined against a splined mate). The Rivian could be different design but this is the typical setup.
The problem demonstrated in the video is radial play, not axial.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
The service centers have a bit too much...what I call... "Assuming with Certainty"

It's a new vehicle and as we all get reminded...we should expect some defects and issues that will require new iterations of parts. So why can't Rivian Service have the same attitude... seems like they are just assuming everything is fine vs. really investigating these issues. This is ICE car dealer repair "could not replicate" nonsense.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The service centers have a bit too much...what I call... "Assuming with Certainty"

It's a new vehicle and as we all get reminded...we should expect some defects and issues that will require new iterations of parts. So why can't Rivian Service have the same attitude... seems like they are just assuming everything is fine vs. really investigating these issues. This is ICE car dealer repair "could not replicate" nonsense.
Problem: the bulk of their service staff likely come from dealership backgrounds.

Krez5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I observed a clunking noise as described, but I also started getting intermittent winding squeak going at low speeds. Observed at all suspensions heights. Would come and go away. My service center originally said it was normal behavior; however, I rejected that idea after it continued to progressively get worse and I took to complaining on Twitter.

Several other owners replied with the same noise discovered on their vehicles with varying levels of severity. Some service centers tried to re-lube the CVs, others (like mine) did nothing and said it was normal behavior.

For good or bad it raised enough ears at Rivian that my guide reached out and scheduled service immediately. My service center couldn't diagnose the issue immediately and requested an engineer fly out to Salt Lake to take a look. I don't know if they plan to make parts changes or if they already have and there's a series of VINs affected, but they replaced my CVs and bearing hubs. A pretty major job but I can report the sounds are gone. I still get normal squeaky suspension noise, but that's it. Who knows if this is a permanent fix or if things will gradually break once again.

Hopefully, they didn't address my issue because "grumpy kinda-well-known YouTube man complaining" and they actually intend to help all customers with the issue. Please update me with what your SCs indicate to you. Would love to know and maybe I can help rally up some public support. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 3.49.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 3.49.50 PM.jpg
I took in my vehicle at the beginning of July for several issues including the clunking sound and the squeaky suspension. They said the clunking noise was “completely normal” and is caused by the drive shaft engaging and disengaging with the rear motors.
They applied grease to fix the suspension issue. They said it’s temporary and will likely happen again.

My truck is currently at service again for alignment issues and to replace several underbody panels screws that are completely missing.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
This idea that you should "be patient" and "poor automakers need time to fix it!" is a load of bull.

Sell cars that work properly. If they don't, drop everything to fix it while actively communicating & offering solutions to customers inconveniences.

Whether this is a normal happening or not is irrelevant to the feelings of the person it happens to, and to the response of Rivian. A good company treats all complaints & problems with the utmost urgency.

It might be hard to cook a steak medium rare, but if a restaurant serves me a well done steak I don't just go "oh well" and nibble at it or go back in a week to try again.
Sponsored