First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Just check my inner CV joints and they wiggly too just like the video.

And, I found an oil leak. Called it in and waiting for resolution.

86F3106D-6FF2-4BF8-A81F-10A4C854A9D1.jpeg
Is yours noisy?
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
That's the nice thing about having a truck with a warranty. They'll fix it.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The title of this thread is sort of deceptive. Based on what I saw, the CV joint isn't failing. There is a failure by the service techs and maybe the supplier.

The way the title reads it makes it sound as if there was a catastrophic failure of the CV joint, which does not appear to be the case.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

I would bet that engineers at the Rivian factory know what is causing the clunks and clicks. I would bet that a solution to the problem is already forthcoming. The service centers don't know everything the factory knows. Be patient. Often the solution to problems like this take time to implement.

When I was a Honda factory engineer (many years ago), my group analyzed problems that customers experienced after delivery. If a problem was caused by a part that Honda purchased from a supplier, it may have taken weeks for "countermeasure" parts to arrive at the factory. At the same time, known-good service parts had to be manufactured and shipped to parts warehouses so that dealer service departments could obtain them and begin repairing customers' cars with good parts.

Rivian is a young company building the world's first 800 hp quad-motor electric pickup. I'm not surprised to hear about some problems.

Some of the most experienced and respected auto makers have struggled with electric vehicles. To wit, almighty Toyota recently issued a recall / buy-back / stop-sale on their all-new bZ4X electric crossover because "wheels could fall off" (Automotive News 8/5/22). To the best of my knowledge, Toyota has not publicly divulged how they will fix these vehicles. However, I'm confident that inside Toyota, their engineers know exactly the root cause of the problem and how they will fix it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I don't mind being patient on fixes. However, I do worry about degradation as a result of unresolved issues, both on the failing part as well as downstream. Will Rivian properly assess additional wear caused by these defects?

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Just check my inner CV joints and they wiggly too just like the video.

And, I found an oil leak. Called it in and waiting for resolution.
I found an oil puddle on my garage floor. South San Francisco SC fixed it: bad seal in front passenger drive shaft. I haven't heard any clunks or clicks.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
@Eticket99 @Mike Hunt

I had a CV boot failure, Rivian replaced the entire rear axle I was told.

Just got under my car and ZERO MOVEMENT from and of the above mentioned parts.

I've put on about 1,500 miles since getting it back.

Really sorry to hear about what every one is experiencing.

Get on Rivian ASAP!

Thanks for the posts.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
True enough but not by this threads OP. And since he didn't comment on it, it's worth noting here...don't ya think?
Sure, it's worth mentioning here, and that why I provided the other thread - so readers could get more details. The summary is - it may not be out of alignment, but instead, the bolts were re-torqued by Rivian and not marked the second time.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Hey all - Some amount of play on the inner joint is normal. Don't panic.
Yeah I have a tiny bit of movement on a brand new truck, but no issues with suspension noise (yet?). The bolts are all marked/aligned properly as previous thread had been discussing. Good thing there's a warranty.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Subscribed. Thanks to OP and follow on axle repair by Snazzy. Kudos for isolating the steering pump as well, as others note this vehicle sure has a ton of noises for being so quiet.

I also have those plastic ramps, looks like they are suffering under the heft of the R1T a bit?

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Thank you for pointing out these issues. Some have mentioned Rivian described the clicking noises as normal behavior but it is great someone with knowledge can show otherwise. That'll help everyone and get a fix out the door.
Sponsored