First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
Just check my inner CV joints and they wiggly too just like the video.

And, I found an oil leak. Called it in and waiting for resolution.

86F3106D-6FF2-4BF8-A81F-10A4C854A9D1.jpeg
I had the same condition under my truck, found out from the Sacramento Rivian Service Center that this is caused by the motor fill plugs they apparently are too small and the service bulletin states they need to replace them with a size larger then refill the oil in the motor.

This isn't a big process in the rear, but in the front they need to drop the sub frame to get to the motors fill plugs. And they know about this flaw but aren't willing to address it unless the oil is visible. Otherwise it's not a warranty issue and becomes an out of pocket expense.

I've attached pictures of my bottom of my truck after the issue was discovered.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T CV axle failure missed by service center PXL_20220910_201557706

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T CV axle failure missed by service center PXL_20220910_195051321
Sponsored

Manufiore

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 Tesla Model X, 2021 BMW X3 30e
Had vibrating steering wheel at various speeds and clunkin noise. Suspected tires needed balancing. After a multitude of tire balancing, tire rotating, tire swapping, brand of tire changed, swapped alloy wheels and swapped steering wheel, and 3 visits at Rivian service center in San Jose, nothing fixed and was told is normal and I should contact BBB National program for Lemon if I am not satisfied...

Today I bring the R1S to my local mechanic and as soon as he puts it on the lift he finds the driver front cv axle has a lot of play. NOT GOOD!

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Welcome to the “Club.” Mine sounded exactly the same. Started at 3,000 miles and continued to get worse. Went through the bandaid repairs, repack tightened bolts, then repack, add new washers, tighten bolts and finally replace the front drive unit and subframe. Drove 2 1/2 hours home same problems returned the next day. Rivian wanted to install another drive unit. Apparently my R1T couldn’t withstand the wear associated with driving back and forth to the store on paved roads. Never taken off road. Demanded Rivian Lemon the vehicle. They finally agreed but my truck has been sitting useless in the garage for two months awaiting the arrival of the replacement R1T. I demanded a dual motor because I do not want to go through this again. Get ready to battle if you need to. In my humble opinion Rivian has a problem and they are struggling to deal with it.

Manufiore

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 Tesla Model X, 2021 BMW X3 30e
Thanks Frisbee.
I may need to go that route too. Initiated contact with BBB. For now I will try one more time to get it fixed.
I own a Model X and had to replace cv axles twice. Too much weight and torque at high angles.

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
By the way once you finally get Rivian to take the vehicle back you are only halfway there. They are slow walking my replacement DM R1T.
Sponsored