Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Had we seen the crash testing yet?

Screenshots and some analysis by @kanundrum

Looks like Independent Lab/Facility with state of the art tech. From there we have the following crash scenarios:

- Head on
-Small Overlap
-Side Impact

Results: Kickass
0 Flex in the Drivers/Passengers Cell from Head On, Small overlap. as shown in 2nd pic.
Crumple Zones work really well at absorbing impact and deflecting from skateboard.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T crash test video, photos, analysis vlcsnap-2021-02-19-16h11m20s412-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T crash test video, photos, analysis vlcsnap-2021-02-19-16h11m28s706-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T crash test video, photos, analysis vlcsnap-2021-02-19-16h11m47s769-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T crash test video, photos, analysis vlcsnap-2021-02-19-16h12m09s418-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T crash test video, photos, analysis vlcsnap-2021-02-19-16h12m28s464-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T crash test video, photos, analysis vlcsnap-2021-02-19-17h04m13s192-
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

That video was a good compilation of clips. Many of them have been shown before, but others were new such as showing the wrapping process on the R1S. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Yea, the wrap was interesting. I guess I had missed the crashes, I remember something about them in the past now it is mentioned.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Here is my write up. Crash testing seems to have taken place here: https://www.calspan.com/services/tr...quipment/automotive-safety-testing/crash-lab/

Looks like Independent Lab/Facility with state of the art tech. From there we have the following crash scenarios:

-Head on
-IIHS Small Overlap left and right impacts.
-Side Impact using IIHS 2.0 Moving Deformable Barrier

Results: Kickass

0 Flex in the Drivers/Passengers Cell from Head On, Small overlap. as shown in 2nd pic.
Crumple Zones work really well at absorbing impact and deflecting from skateboard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Those offset crashes are always the toughest and the ones the NHSTA always has a dateline or some other show on each year to knock down the star ratings on well known cars...glad to see it doing seemingly well

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That looks like a disappointing result. The windshield is smashed and the passenger A-pillar appears deformed. That is quite disappointing, to me.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That looks like a disappointing result. The windshield is smashed and the passenger A-pillar appears deformed. That is quite disappointing, to me.
Not sure if serious but these are IIHS Small Overlap left and right impacts which are weak points on mostly all cars as there is no crumple zone typically from this angle meaning compartment intrusion is most likely during a accident. As you can see clearly the driver and passenger safety cell has 0 intrusion. You can replace a windshield, not a leg/torso etc...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not sure if serious but these are IIHS Small Overlap left and right impacts which are weak points on mostly all cars as there is no crumple zone typically from this angle meaning compartment intrusion is most likely during a accident. As you can see clearly the driver and passenger safety cell has 0 intrusion. You can replace a windshield, not a leg/torso etc...
Yes, I'm serious. There is clear deformation of the A-pillar, and that is disappointing to me.

I currently drive a Volvo. Safety is a big deal to me. Other manufacturers can pass this test without deformation in the A-Pillar.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Yes, I'm serious. There is clear deformation of the A-pillar, and that is disappointing to me.

I currently drive a Volvo. Safety is a big deal to me. Other manufacturers can pass this test without deformation in the A-Pillar.
Apples to oranges.
The volvo video you show is of the moderate overlap, not the small overlap test. The small overlap is the one that give manufacturers fits.
The moderate has a 40% vehicle width overlap, the small 25%.

Small overlap (applies to 2016 to 2021 models):
Sponsored