Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Very disappointing results and would have liked to see 0-100%.

Peak speed was 151 kw. Took 41 min from 20-80%. The curve is not very impressive either with a big taper by 80% all the way down to 51 kw.

The range in the cold weather seems decent but we don’t know where they were driving and at what speed. Showed 215 miles at 80%.

270 miles at 100 pc in cold. I'll take that.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Well both sessions were on 2 different 350kW EA stations in two different cities.

The second session was after towing over 8,000 lbs up and down 7% highway grades for multiple hours so i’d be surprised if the pack was too cold.
I'm really looking forward to the Super Ike Gauntlet video. I'd also like to see you guys try to charge at someone other than Electrify America.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Tom and Kyle use specific EA chargers to do their tests - because they are capable of consistent higher level outputs. I hope TFL can identify one of these in their hood.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Tom and Kyle use specific EA chargers to do their tests - because they are capable of consistent higher level outputs. I hope TFL can identify one of these in their hood.
Well, they are in the same hood....

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
You're going to get better or worse charging curves depending on the charger. Some chargers are fast, some are slow. I tend to believe the R1T/S will have an average charging curve similar to what TFL experienced, for all the credit Rivian gets it really is using a now obsolete 400v system.

People expecting fast charging stops are going to be disappointed. A big, inefficient battery + a 400v system is not a combination that enables that.

This isn't a dealbreaker for me, but it is the reality. Software can't suddenly make a 400v system charge faster.

Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Hey @TFLtommy, could the 150kW peak be due to the 400V pack? 350kW is only possible at 800V charging. Those EA chargers could have been current limited, and different chargers have different limits. The Petro Canada DCFC station near me has a 350A limit multiplied by 400V is about a 140kW peak charging speed. You should be able to check the label on the side of the stations you went to confirm the rates.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
I appreciate the feedback (i’ve seen lots of it on this forum) and say what you want but we DO have tons of experience in towing and off-road environments.

On our rocky mountain towing test quickest rate was 150kW as well from 15%.
I would like to see 5%-10% when starting a charge session and up to about 75%. 65-70% capacity usage that way without dwelling for that last 5 percent to 80 when the curve tanks. If the next charging station is in range it’s time to start moving on IMO if the rate drops below 100 kwh

Heck with a Tesla I pulled into the charge station yesterday with 4% and actually stayed about 10% added to long. Arrived home with like 16% capacity left. Charging at home is a fraction of the cost. So. I gave Tesla extra money for wasted supercharging.

Nice job by the way. When are the towing vids going up?

irish26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Tbh, I kind of suspect it's either the battery not being warm enough for whatever reason. Or EA shenanigans on a specific piece of hardware.
EA shenanigans is my bet. I never had to use one, but the horror stories are plentiful.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Hey @TFLtommy, could the 150kW peak be due to the 400V pack? 350kW is only possible at 800V charging. Those EA chargers could have been current limited, and different chargers have different limits. The Petro Canada DCFC station near me has a 350A limit multiplied by 400V is about a 140kW peak charging speed. You should be able to check the label on the side of the stations you went to confirm the rates.
Oh shit. Yea same with Ontario - most of them are Petro Canada chargers along the highway service centres. @140kW peak this will change how we stop along the way up to our cottage/etc... or a trip to Montreal (500km away).

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Out of morbid curiosity, have you tried logging a curve from a 150kw charger?
Seageo, Man I have really enjoyed your comments and inputs in the past but you gotta let it go. This is a well done real world charging test. We have to accept it for what it is. May we see different results when done multiple times and under different conditions (weather/chargers, etc) absolutely, but for now this is the reality you can expect. I drive (and charge) a model 3 and can say that this is actually a pretty good result for the R1T.

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
EA shenanigans is my bet. I never had to use one, but the horror stories are plentiful.
Yes was just going to say that. I've been at EA charging stations where it was rated at 150kW but I was maxed out at 48kW in my R1T. You can see in the video, the max charging rate never goes past 140kW. I've only been at 150kW chargers, but I've seen up to 153kW on a 150kW charger before

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Seageo, Man I have really enjoyed your comments and inputs in the past but you gotta let it go. This is a well done real world charging test. We have to accept it for what it is. May we see different results when done multiple times and under different conditions (weather/chargers, etc) absolutely, but for now this is the reality you can expect. I drive (and charge) a model 3 and can say that this is actually a pretty good result for the R1T.
My question here isn't criticism to @TFLtommy at all More trying to understand what is going on with the R1T that it seems to be limiting into 150kw. And 350kw chargers at EA have been known to be finicky with different manufacturers.

So, I am/was genuinely curious if there is an issue with the R1T on some EA 350kw chargers by EA at the moment. You can frequently get a bit more than 150kw out of them, so im just curious if TFL would seen something else at one and peak out the charger.

And, I'll go back and edit it again. My original comment was really poorly worded. It wasn't meant to be a criticism in what Tommy does, more so that I'm not sure that they have enough experience yet to identify when something isn't "ideal". Which is annoyingly hard with EVs. Shit, there's frequently not even a great way to check the battery temp.

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
As stated above, this real world test result is just that. Yes, it is one datapoint among many that will be taken, but it is valid. Being disappointed does not make the datapoint less accurate.

Realistically, most of us will be forced into using EA’s charging network on road trips, all of us will be limited to Rivian’s 400v system, and all of us will be subject to varying temps and SOC’s.

Thanks again TL. Looking forward to the rest of your feedback vids. Well done.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
My question here isn't criticism to @TFLtommy at all More trying to understand what is going on with the R1T that it seems to be limiting into 150kw. And 350kw chargers at EA have been known to be finicky with different manufacturers.

So, I am/was genuinely curious if there is an issue with the R1T on some EA 350kw chargers by EA at the moment. You can frequently get a bit more than 150kw out of them, so im just curious if TFL would seen something else at one and peak out the charger.
I think @kanundrum may have a good point about "Chad's" (the employee's R1) perhaps may have a different software iteration/# or may be limited in some way for data point collection vs. other true "non-employee' deliveries, since we apparently have seen some 170's and 180's. IDK.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The *should* be able to push out 400V @500 amps on those chargers.
Sponsored