Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
For those who are interested, a recently posted video of the UI shows lots of available tweaks that you can make to the sound, including a 12 channel EQ, advanced “3D audio” algorithms that you can turn on or off, and the ability to tweak the sound stage.
That help with our eyes judging the sound. More speakers and more settings theoretically should have more of a capability to get you what you want. However, it would be nice at some point to have the opportunity for our ears to be the judge. I always listen to the same track on all my test drives. I have listened to it in my own home and friend's much more expensive setup. Same music, same ears, different cars. Even though it may not be the best source, it is the best source I will be listening to. It exposes the difference to my ears fairly well. Cost and hype of the sound system has not always translated to better experience for me. I just hope Rivian includes Explore in their events as soon as it is available. Some of us like to lower the window in a nice spring day and enjoy the music without the system having a stroke. My convertable sounds better with the top down than many cars with all windows closed. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't experience it myself. Nothing beats kicking the tires yourself.
Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
That help with our eyes judging the sound. More speakers and more settings theoretically should have more of a capability to get you what you want. However, it would be nice at some point to have the opportunity for our ears to be the judge. I always listen to the same track on all my test drives. I have listened to it in my own home and friend's much more expensive setup. Same music, same ears, different cars. Even though it may not be the best source, it is the best source I will be listening to. It exposes the difference to my ears fairly well. Cost and hype of the sound system has not always translated to better experience for me. I just hope Rivian includes Explore in their events as soon as it is available. Some of us like to lower the window in a nice spring day and enjoy the music without the system having a stroke. My convertable sounds better with the top down than many cars with all windows closed. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't experience it myself. Nothing beats kicking the tires yourself.
Holy shit, I love that tune. Thanks!

Edit: To clarify, I'd never heard it before. Currently listening to the whole album now....

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I had my first mile drive on Saturday and I was only able to do a quick check of the sound system using the guide's Spotify account - which didn't have music I would normally use for testing and I have no idea the compression levels on those streaming tracks. Regardless, I definitely didn't find it to be worse than my Tesla. But I was focused on so many other things that I didn't spend much time on it.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Edit: To clarify, I'd never heard it before. Currently listening to the whole album now....
koersontap,

Just started listening to that track and came back to second your first comment. Hope to catch the entire album as soon as I'm done here.

For me, there's nothing better than a well-played acoustic guitar pouring into my soul through my ears. Stephen Stills is near the top of my list of virtuosos. That's one of the driving reasons for CSN's "See The Changes" being my choice for the first song to be played in my R1T. That, and their three-part harmony. Lots of other great sounds out there for testing systems, but bringing great vocals and acoustic guitars to life, especially together, really floats my boat.

Thanks @Max for introducing us to Nils' work.

(Perhaps not the highest-quality version of CSN streaming on YouTube, but listening to the old vinyl with Koss Pro4AA headphones warms my bones.)

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
koersontap,

Just started listening to that track and came back to second your first comment. Hope to catch the entire album as soon as I'm done here.

For me, there's nothing better than a well-played acoustic guitar pouring into my soul through my ears. Stephen Stills is near the top of my list of virtuosos. That's one of the driving reasons for CSN's "See The Changes" being my choice for the first song to be played in my R1T. That, and their three-part harmony. Lots of other great sounds out there for testing systems, but bringing great vocals and acoustic guitars to life, especially together, really floats my boat.

Thanks @Max for introducing us to Nils' work.

(Perhaps not the highest-quality version of CSN streaming on YouTube, but listening to the old vinyl with Koss Pro4AA headphones warms my bones.)

I'd expand "acoustic guitar" to include a whole line of my favorites; harp, violin, timpani, hurdy-gurdy (it's a real thing, look it up!).... The big thing to me is acoustic clarity. Not a fan of bombastic sounds where everything melds together and assaults your eardrums in a solid block of sound. But to each their own, I can at least appreciate how some people draw feeling from that.

At any rate, what I'll be looking at is how *clear* their audio system is. I have high hopes.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'd expand "acoustic guitar" to include a whole line of my favorites; harp, violin, timpani, hurdy-gurdy (it's a real thing, look it up!).... The big thing to me is acoustic clarity. Not a fan of bombastic sounds where everything melds together and assaults your eardrums in a solid block of sound. But to each their own, I can at least appreciate how some people draw feeling from that.

At any rate, what I'll be looking at is how *clear* their audio system is. I have high hopes.
When we heard the R1T’s Meridian system back in Normal this Summer, it sounded great! Clean and clear from the top of the range to the deepest of bass with great dynamic range. Even Taylor Swift sounded better! How is that even possible?! (I know @SeaGeo will appreciate that comment). ?

I'm with you on all things acoustic being better, but I still love the occasional Neil Young and Crazy Horse pre-grunge "Grunge Marathons" while driving cross-country through the night. Cheaper and more efficient than stopping every 90 minutes to fill up on new coffee and get rid of the old.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster

Same...probably struck me a bit differently, well, because. Interesting back story on that.

Reactions: Max

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Those are good looking wheels for the white Rt1. I am excited to get my Rivian.

However, for someone who lives in the middle of the woods and has to travel a couple of miles on a gravel road each day I do worry about the dust and and that tonneau cover.

Fit and finish for that one truck seemed ok. Nothing too concerning. But that's just one truck, maybe the majority coming down the line will be better, maybe not. Time will tell.

I have owned two Tesla, neither one had misaligned panel gaps. I am not saying there haven't been issues with build quality for some. I can only report on my own personal experience and those of the people who I know that own Teslas. It's a small sampling but it is something I've owned and have real world experience with.

But, regardless, what does it matter whether Tesla's have terrible panel gaps or not? What will matter is how Rivian builds their vehicles.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Never really thought about it, but all of the Toyota’s and Lexus’s (all SUV’s) we’ve owned have come with PPF along the rear doors on the bottom back corner near the rear wheel wells. ~4 inches x 5 inches and triangular in shape. Something not listed on any of the window stickers. Maybe some legacy manufacturers do the same in areas they think will get chipped easily?
Thanks and good to know.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
The panel gaps and exterior blems and fitment issues are concerning - esp the toneau cover mechanical durability thing - interior really shines and oozes sophistication and quality sans the sound system- hopefully these issues are are dealt with ASAP

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I don’t know.

the video review shows panel gaps, doors not lined up, rims scratched up, gear tunnel won’t open, plastic pieces not lined up, not tight, and miss matched, and apparently the. music system is not As good as Tesla.

I’m not comparing it to Tesla really, just pointing out that it seems Rivan has a lot of work to do to get these vehicles right before they go into mass production.

when I spend a 100,000 on a vehicle, I would like to think all this stuff would be worked out.
Sponsored