Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Just like many other cars, they will cut and weld. That' how they replaced the one on my model 3...
It's just unfortunate as cost would be high, alignment of panel likely to not be as good, body filler will be used, corrosion likely at weld seam.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
It's just unfortunate as cost would be high, alignment of panel likely to not be as good, body filler will be used, corrosion likely at weld seam.
Absolutely! I near fell off my chair when the body shop charged $15k to do the work. When people build cars like this it is reflected in the insurance. But this seems to be the trend.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
You do know the panels are aluminum right?
I did not, most I've heard is aluminum, steel, carbon fiber are all used...but not where they are used.

That said, aluminum also has corrosion issues although generally less than steels.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I did not, most I've heard is aluminum, steel, carbon fiber are all used...but not where they are used.

That said, aluminum also has corrosion issues although generally less than steels.
It oxidizes, but it wonā€™t corrode so I wouldnā€™t worry about it.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It oxidizes, but it wonā€™t corrode so I wouldnā€™t worry about it.
Right, but it's a little more difficult to weld, and not all shops can weld aluminum properly.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Not going to be good if you take a hit to the quarter panel...good luck replacing that whole piece.
It shouldnā€™t be any worse than other pickups with integrated beds like Chevy Avalanche and Honda Ridgeline.

Actually, I think the only type of vehicle with metal body panels that doesnā€™t have this issue is a pickup with a bed not integrated into the cab. I donā€™t recall, did Rivian ever show an R1T where the bed was separated from the cab?

Pretty much every other modern vehicle has the same issue with the rear quarters: SUVs, crossovers, sedans, coupes, convertibles, wagons, etc. Maybe Iā€™m missing something but this doesnā€™t seem like a situation which is unique to Rivian.

On the other hand, an unpainted metal exterior adds complexity to repairs since you canā€™t paint over the repaired surface. I seem to recall thatā€™s why some DeLoreans got painted.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It shouldnā€™t be any worse than other pickups with integrated beds like Chevy Avalanche and Honda Ridgeline.

Actually, I think the only type of vehicle with metal body panels that doesnā€™t have this issue is a pickup with a bed not integrated into the cab. I donā€™t recall, did Rivian ever show an R1T where the bed was separated from the cab?

Pretty much every other modern vehicle has the same issue with the rear quarters: SUVs, crossovers, sedans, coupes, convertibles, wagons, etc. Maybe Iā€™m missing something but this doesnā€™t seem like a situation which is unique to Rivian.

On the other hand, an unpainted metal exterior adds complexity to repairs since you canā€™t paint over the repaired surface. I seem to recall thatā€™s why some DeLoreans got painted.
I agree, they have been doing this for decades. Even a detached bed has large stamped panels that are welded when repaired and not bolted on. This is not an issue for a professional body shop, just need one that specializes in aluminum, they are out there. Many cars these days have aluminum body panels, I think ford has even been doing it in their F150 since 2015 or 2016.

Cost of repairs these days are more based on designed collision crumple zones than large stamped body panels.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Looks like Costco.
If getting my R1T means I have to walk out of there with a pack of three, Iā€™m willing to do that.
Iā€™d prefer that to Rivian following the IKEA model ā€” here are four boxes, an Allen wrench and a book of instructions.*
* required bottles of wine not included.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Right, but it's a little more difficult to weld, and not all shops can weld aluminum properly.
They glue/bolt aluminum panels on. You don't weld aluminum.
Sponsored