First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
Well it is very exciting to see the new Land Rover Defender announced.
https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/defender/index.html

My first thoughts were "That's great!" immediately followed by "Why didn't they go electric?"
The gas engine, future expensive maintenance, no federal or state rebates gives me serious pause for the New Defender 110 vs. the forthcoming Rivian R1S.

I was hoping to develop a quick spreadsheet to compare the basic specifications; Here's a first pass (screenshot), hopefully others can correct, amend, and add to this file so we can look at the two SUVs objectively (Apples to Apples). Not sure if we can post MS Excel or Apple Numbers to the forum to get this comparison working collaboratively...maybe someone can let me know.

Thanks,

EB

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S vs. New Land Rover Defender 110 Image 2
Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I also thought the new Defender looked awesome, but then like you also remembered that it's not electric and therefore would have some drawbacks because of that (oh how the tables have turned :) ).

Just some corrections/additions to your specs:
R1S:
Approach/Breakover/Departure Angles: 34.2/28.4/34

Defender 110:
Approach/Breakover/Departure Angles: 38/28/40 (I think using the "Off-road geometry" spec is a fair apples-to-apples comparison?)
Wheelbase: 119 inch

OP
OP
EV-X Oregon

EV-X Oregon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
Great! Thanks for the info. Here's a new screen shot. Anyway that we can share a spreadsheet on the forum for people to add and make corrections?

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S vs. New Land Rover Defender 110 Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.26.11 AM

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I also thought the new Defender looked awesome, but then like you also remembered that it's not electric and therefore would have some drawbacks because of that (oh how the tables have turned :) ).
Haha yes indeed, times have changed...I want an SUV and the Defender fits the bill except, duh-duh-duh-dunn...I am done buying internal combustion engines for my cars moving forward.

Compared to the Rivian skateboard, I don't see the Defender architecture that they just made being nearly a groundbreaking. Its too bad - the new Defender is awesome in my opinion otherwise...

Spoonito

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4, Explorer
I was pretty excited for the Defender to come out (Currently have an LR4). I do go offroad (not hardcore) so I use it like it's supposed to be used and it's not just a parking lot queen. My family (Dad, brother, me) is a big LR fan base (2 LR4, 1 RRS, 1 D90 - sold, 1 Disco Sport). After seeing the new Defender and comparing it to the Rivian, I would much rather get the Rivian R1S.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
If there was no Rivian, I would definitely consider the Defender...thanks for sharing the Link. I agree with Ethan on focusing on EV vs ICE!

DetailJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Porsche 996 Turbo, Porsche 993, Porsche 911SC, Porsche 356
I think it makes the most sense for the 110 to stay an ICE vehicle. If you are out overlanding, people will sometimes go on trips for days or more at a time without available electric chargers.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Impressive fording stat for ICE. Is that capability built-in or does it need a snorkel or something?

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I believe Max Speed of The R1S is 125. I know I saw that in a video with the CEO, need to go back and find it.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'm certain it is. It's in that spec sheet. Easy find in an image search.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I think it makes the most sense for the 110 to stay an ICE vehicle. If you are out overlanding, people will sometimes go on trips for days or more at a time without available electric chargers.
They could make a stronger range argument if they brought the diesel version to the US. Looks like 870.5 miles on one tank with it. If regular gas is closer to the 2020 Disco's 18mpg for a 6 cylinder, easier access to rapid refueling might the only pro-gas arg there.

Blue Lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Fiat
Impressive fording stat for ICE. Is that capability built-in or does it need a snorkel or something?
I don't know, but a Rivian rep told Jonny Smith the only thing preventing from going deeper is that it will start to float.

At an auto show I had a chance to crawl all over the new Defender 110. I think it was the most appealing vehicle I touched at the show, and it kept reminding of what I expect from the R1S.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I don't know, but a Rivian rep told Jonny Smith the only thing preventing from going deeper is that it will start to float.
Yeah I already have delusions of what it would take to go full amphibious. Possibly some gear tunnel mounted pontoon stabilizers and a big fat electric boat motor out the back.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
This guy added some mods to the Defender. Probably adding these mods to the R1S will kill your range, but it gives you an idea of how to lift the air suspension.
Sponsored