Sponsored

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
Additional Improvements
  • Improved ride quality with updated suspension settings and refined the Drive Modes > Ride settings as follows:
    • Soft: Active dampening improvements to ride quality.
    • Stiff: Improved handling capabilities.
  • Improved battery longevity, battery durability, and regenerative braking performance. Also enhanced regen availability, and you can use regen for longer durations.
This is why I love these new tech forward companies. Already making changes, amazing!
Sponsored

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
I owns the R1S and have test driven an IX50. I think the review is fair, Rivian is the one to be seen in, IX is the one to drive. I do love driving my Rivian, especially at non-highway speeds, but hoping what the previous posters have shared about the upcoming software updates to the suspension make a difference. When I’m on the highway I feel like I’m constantly correcting the wheel to get it to track consistently.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

And another thing.

The Bimmer IX’s Ugly Duckling looks are not simply anchored in the awful George Foreman front grill, it’s those hideous door handles, goofy window beltline trim, frisbee wheels, broken D pillar, and hunchback rear quarter panels. Proportionally, it looks like it belongs in a rental car fleet.

My eyes are bleeding.
I really don't agree with you on the iX styling - I don't think it is that bad. That said, your profile picture proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you have exceptional taste so I simply cannot argue with you!

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Additional Improvements
  • Improved ride quality with updated suspension settings and refined the Drive Modes > Ride settings as follows:
    • Soft: Active dampening improvements to ride quality.
    • Stiff: Improved handling capabilities.
  • Improved battery longevity, battery durability, and regenerative braking performance. Also enhanced regen availability, and you can use regen for longer durations.
Were these R1S only updates or did they also update the R1T?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Most likely both vehicles.
Right - so I'm not sure comparatively it will change the way the R1S handles relative to the R1T.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I only troll the i3 forums so I know nothing about the iX.... but does BMW send out frequent OTA updates like Rivian and Tesla? From my experience with our 325Xi, 330i and my i3 BMW likes to have everything done in their Service Center for big $$$.

Leo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad. Range Rover, Infinti
I've seen multiple Car and Driver reviews and they all reference 230mi range. There was an original test with that figure 6 months ago and i'm begining to think the just reference that rather than actually testing it again. I have not seen any 230mi range vehicle reviews on this forum but will continue to watch for your comments. Also, Why is everything about 0-60 and top speed? I doubt anyone who purchase one made the decision on that metric. These are adventure/utility vehicles and these magazines continually fail to understand the purpose.

Sponsored

Chgroth

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4 and Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Insurance Company Executive
Update - here's a link to a good BMW iX forum:
https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=923

Car and Driver Review:
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...0-vs-2022-rivian-r1s-launch-edition-compared/

Car and Driver really doesn't seem to like how the R1S handles. I've previously only seen positive comments about R1S handling, such as Doug DeMuro's review.

For those who have driven the R1S, do you agree with C&D's handling description of float, porpoising, and steering quickness out of proportion with the chassis?

I've had my R1S Launch Edition preordered for a couple years now and (other than C&D's review) eagerly await its arrival !!!
I received delivery of my R1S launch edition last week. I’ve never driven a BMW before but what I can say is the ride and performance of the R1S is fantastic. I also let a friend who is a sports car enthusiast (Head of Marketing at Meccanic Shop North in NY) take a spin on country roads in northern Westchester. Exceeded his expectations and he is picky.

Jordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328 D
Occupation
Retired
Car and Driver guys drive like lunatics when they test a car. I'm not surprised they got so few miles on a charge. They are skilled at abusing cars. It's what they do.
I've been reading Car and Driver for at least 30 years (and really enjoying it) and I've picked up on their tendencies over the years. Some of those guys don't want to like EVs, so take their comments with a pound of salt. Also, it sounds like they'd have to spend more time with the R1T to figure out what ride settings to use. Come on! Does it porpoise or does it float.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
Car & Driver has always been a joke. "Winner" is always from the company that spends the most on marketing on their site/magazine. Throw J.D. Power & Associates in the same bucket—just a pay-to-play marketing platform for those who dump the most money on their laps.

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Car & Driver has always been a joke. "Winner" is always from the company that spends the most on marketing on their site/magazine. Throw J.D. Power & Associates in the same bucket—just a pay-to-play marketing platform for those who dump the most money on their laps.
Motor Trend too.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
130 on any empty highway remains illegal and reckless driving, not just speeding. 0-60 acceleration in 3.0 is not illegal, obviously you have to do it safely and not be racing, cutting people off, etc. Weird you would compare 0-60 in a crowded city vs 130 on an empty highway, neither should be done period, but since there are times you can legally and safely accelerate to 0-60 in 3.1 seconds, yes it matters more than limiting speed to 111mph.
Any speed above 70 mph is illegal, and if 111 mph is not reckless driving, I don't know what is. I hear what @mkg3 is saying, that it's a marketing thing. It's silly to limit it @ 111mph. Whether you drive at 111 or 130 is still way above safe driving, but manufacturers are still marketing top speed as an ability.
Sponsored