timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Agree with this. If Rivian is telling the world (through its S-1 amendments) that its backorder will not clear until the end of 2023, I do not understand why anyone would think, having just placed an order in the last week/month, that he/she will take receipt of a vehicle before late 2023/early 2024.
Watching EV launches over the past few years, there's no way you can put blanket timelines over when you place an order versus when you take delivery. While it may seem like it is going to take years to clear the backlog, there are always paths to move either forward or back in line. Those who are willing to take specific configurations will be able to move up in line, while others will choose to wait out features with late availability.

It would not surprise me in the least if we hear reports of someone with a 2021 reservation taking delivery of a 7 Passenger Adventure model in 2022 while someone with a 2019 reservation has to wait until well into 2023 for a 5 Passenger Explore model.
Sponsored

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
Because Rivian is being conservative but we will see. I expect the 50k T and S orders to be filled by mid 2023 (early q3).
And thatā€™s fair. If someone is projecting a conservative estimate, I get it. But itā€™s one thing to cut a few months off in hoping Rivian is being conservative and thinking you will get a vehicle in mid 2023, versus cutting a year off in hopes of getting a vehicle in late 2022. The former is reasonable, IMO. The latter is just setting up for frustration based on unreasonable expectations.

Last edited:

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
It would not surprise me
Nothing will surprise me related to EV distribution, especially as it relates to Rivian. So I agree with you there.

My comment is more related to expectations. Will we see some specific configurations being delivered before earlier placed reservations? Sure. I would fully expect that. But I do not believe a person placing an order now can expect to take delivery prior to the end of 2023, given what has been disclosed in SECā€“regulated financial documents. I am of the opinion that Rivianā€™s declared ā€œend of 2023ā€ backlog clearance is the most accurate information; that is the timetable I put the most stock in (no pun intended), +/- a few months for delays and, as you noted, configuration quirks.

Last edited:

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition, R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hello,

I have ordered Rivian R1S on Oct.26.2021 when can i roughly expect my car delivery so i will lease a another SUV for time being.

Thanks
Just to be safe, I puting my pre-order in my will.

OP
OP

smeka05

First Name
Sangeetha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
Occupation
Tech Geek
Finally i have received an email from rivian on R1S Delivery is first half of 2023. Hopefully they can deliver before end of 2023.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

And thatā€™s fair. If someone is projecting a conservative estimate, I get it. But itā€™s one thing to cut a few months off in hoping Rivian is being conservative and thinking you will get a vehicle in mid 2023, versus cutting a year off in hopes of getting a vehicle in late 2022. The former is reasonable, IMO. The latter is just setting up for frustration based on unreasonable expectations.
This seems to be the case with all preorders that I have seen by October 2021 having a first half 2023 or earlier date. That is 55k (minus some max packs) by then. The additional 16k orders in November and December are second half of 2023.

Last edited:

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Pre-ordered 2/9/21 and email says expect between Oct-Dec 22. Ugh.
Sponsored