timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

i'm confused why the S backup light is different than on the T. the bumper looks identical?
While the difference between backup lights is not obvious, the R1S and R1T have fundamentally different bumper designs due to the license plate placement.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July 1685991962297

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July 1685991970484
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I got my letter yesterday. Nary a word on a solution other than we'll let you know.

Z R1S

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, BMW X7
solution coming s00n.....
Just got the text from Rivian to schedule my service for the recall... Anyone have an idea of what the fix looks like?

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Just got the text from Rivian to schedule my service for the recall... Anyone have an idea of what the fix looks like?
I just got the text and called them. I already had a mobile appointment on the 17th, so we're adding it to that. They said it is voluntary and that I can look at the solution and decide if I want to go through with it or not. They mentioned "[the white part of the light] sticks out [past the red part of the light on the bottom of the bumper] by like an inch". I'll try to take pictures of it (off the vehicle and on - if I decide to do it) and post here.

Edit: Reddit to the rescue:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July 1689180217147

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I got my letter yesterday. Nary a word on a solution other than we'll let you know.
just got a text today. what next? a fax? semaphore code?

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

just got a text today. what next? a fax? semaphore code?
A literal carbon copy.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July 1689180472213

Either way, I don't think I'm doing it. As I told the guy, I value my safety and the safety of others just a little less than how my R1S looks from behind and slightly below.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I just got the text as well. The solution are adding clear nipples? Uhh… no thanks.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I thought what was pictured above was the temporary fix until a long term solution was available? Will be interesting to see confirmed post-recall pics.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I thought what was pictured above was the temporary fix until a long term solution was available? Will be interesting to see confirmed post-recall pics.
I'm pretty sure it is, this was their fix to comply with the regulatory requirements to keep selling them. I think this is a new solution to actually replace the lamps, otherwise they would have been able to fix the other vehicles previous to today.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m scheduled for next Tuesday afternoon, 7/18.

If no one has posted the fix prior to that if I have them do it I will post a picture.

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I'm pretty sure it is, this was their fix to comply with the regulatory requirements to keep selling them. I think this is a new solution to actually replace the lamps, otherwise they would have been able to fix the other vehicles previous to today.
I’m scheduled for next Tuesday afternoon, 7/18.

If no one has posted the fix prior to that if I have them do it I will post a picture.
FWIW, I have an R1S that was delivered with the nipples / tabs and haven't gotten any messages recently about scheduling a replacement so suspect that's the piece they're installing (unless they're rolling out the permanent fix first to those who don't have the interim fix in place).

My guide also reiterated what Rivian said at the time of the announcement that the nipple / tab pieces are a temporary fix until the final solution is available.

Again, FWIW, I actually don't mind the tabs at all and sort of like how they look / work with the guide lights at night after locking. Hard to explain but sort of concentrates the light a little more than the flat cover does.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

FWIW, I have an R1S that was delivered with the nipples / tabs and haven't gotten any messages recently about scheduling a replacement so suspect that's the piece they're installing (unless they're rolling out the permanent fix first to those who don't have the interim fix in place).

My guide also reiterated what Rivian said at the time of the announcement that the nipple / tab pieces are a temporary fix until the final solution is available.

Again, FWIW, I actually don't mind the tabs at all and sort of like how they look / work with the guide lights at night after locking. Hard to explain but sort of concentrates the light a little more than the flat cover does.
Your vehicle technically isn't subject to the recall since it's in compliance with the regulations. Nothing as permanent as a temporary fix.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

can we see a picture of your nipples? TIA
Sponsored