Sponsored

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Rivian R1S with Thule Motion XT XXl Roof Box installed.

Unfortunately my Yakima Skybox didn’t fit my R1S so I had to get a Thule instead. Pretty easy to fit, lots of room and the piano black paint matches that of the Rivian. Thule seems to be the way to go.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S gets Thule Motion XT XXl Roof Box installed 388ADB9B-35A4-49A9-8AE1-3AF8E1A38C6E
Sponsored

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Unfortunately my Yakima Skybox didn’t fit my R1S so I had to get a Thule instead. Pretty easy to fit, lots of room and the piano black paint matches that of the Rivian. Thule seems to be the way to go.

388ADB9B-35A4-49A9-8AE1-3AF8E1A38C6E.jpeg
How's the range hit with that installed? Also, how do you like the 22's in Portland?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Could you not use the rear 2 crossbar mounts to better keep the box behind the windshield for better aerodynamics?
Wondering about this too. Back 2 bars but push box as far forward as it can go with the built in play then clamp the attachment claws. Maybe the rear hatch door hits the box?

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager

It does look good. What do you put in there?

Sponsored

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Look's great! I'm planning on installing one on mine later this summer. :cool:

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Skis, boots, luggage etc
Please let us know range hit! Is a box better range hit than ski rack? Good for you.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
That has to be causing wind noise. I think that should be 3-5 inches behind the front roof line.

Like so:

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S gets Thule Motion XT XXl Roof Box installed signal-2022-01-28-094732

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
Skis, boots, luggage etc
In line with previous comments, I think you should be able to mount the cargo box over the crossbars set in the second and third anchor points. In a different post I had included this mock-up of a current Thule Motion 900 that I own installed that way. Would be much appreciated if you gave it a shot and report back—my feeling is you will get better mileage and less wind noise.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S gets Thule Motion XT XXl Roof Box installed 85B89B94-6AA3-4ADF-B51C-662B817BC80E

Sponsored

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
In line with previous comments, I think you should be able to mount the cargo box over the crossbars set in the second and third anchor points. In a different post I had included this mock-up of a current Thule Motion 900 that I own installed that way. Would be much appreciated if you gave it a shot and report back—my feeling is you will get better mileage and less wind noise.

85B89B94-6AA3-4ADF-B51C-662B817BC80E.png
Hi @Ioman, did you try installaling in 2nd and 3rd anchor points?

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Here's a photo of how it actually fits using the middle and back anchor points for the racks. The liftgate does come in contact with the back of the box, but it touches it and then backs up a few inches, so it does work.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S gets Thule Motion XT XXl Roof Box installed IMG_1066

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Any more details? I installed my older Thule in the front and will be testing some range loss tomorrow - I like having it more forward to be able to easily get into it from the front or back - using it for snowboards etc.

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
FWIW: I recently had a Thule XL (not XXL) on my R1S. I mounted it in the front position so I could more easily access the box. It's difficult to get stuff in and out of it when mounted in the back position. You really have to use a step ladder, which I didn't want to carry around.

In the front position, I mounted it backward so that it didn't hang over the windshield. I'm sure being backward impacted range but I didn't compare it to mounting forward.

I returned the XL because it didn't provide enough storage for a family of 4 and didn't open tall enough to get stuff in and out of easily. I"m currently searching for a different solution. The XXL is on my radar but seems like it would have all the same problems the XL did, except potentially worse.

Interested to hear what the OP's experience with the XXL is.
Sponsored