Sponsored

Rivian R1S First Drive from a car guy / Raptor owner

509R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Clubs

Appreciate your thoughts but I’m not sure it’s useful to compare a midsize SUV with a Ford Raptor. They are in 2 completely different classes. Who would cross shop these 2? A better and more useful comparison with the Raptor would be a Hummer EV IMO.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think it's natural to compare what you're driving to what you're considering, and while that may not always be fair, I get why people compare vehicles which are clearly serving different purposes. Even coming from that perspective, a couple things struck me as odd.

3. Really the only wheels I ended up liking in person were the 20" Black off-road. Interestingly, for an extra $1,700 over the bright ones, all you get is a tinted clear coat. Yikes.
Does anyone make black wheels where the metal is black so that scratches won't show a different underlying color? I guess I don't understand the issue with a tinted clear coat versus paint on wheels: if going off-road and you scratch them it's probably going to show more than wheels with less contrast between the metal and the finished surface.

8. The Rivian tires looked absolutely tiny compared to the Raptors. And the Rivian small tires were already filling up the small wheel-wells. (Yes, for aerodynamics).
9. Rivian felt low to the ground in view and seat height. Suspension was on "Normal".
What new vehicles with factory equipment would exceed Raptor specs in these areas? I imagine there are some pickups, and maybe an SUV or two. I can't think of any 3-row SUVs which have bigger wheels or sit higher off the ground/have higher seat height than the Rivian from the factory. In these areas it doesn't seem like a comment on the Rivian as much as a comment on the Raptor.

edit:typos

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I'm not going to comment on anything else but this one. Yeah, of course the Rivian felt low to the ground compared to your Raptor. A Raptor's hood is above my shoulder. Current generation trucks are OBSCENELY tall. Stupid tall just for the sake of being tall. The R1T(S) is a tall vehicle compared to the vast majority of vehicles on the road. Compared to my Audi Q5, driving in the Rivian puts me noticeably higher. The Q5 isn't a short vehicle by any measure except compared to trucks, which, again, are stupidly tall for no practical reason -- for probably 99% of truck drivers who will never drive even on a well-maintained gravel road, let alone anything worse. Sure, there are a handful of people who need their truck to get to work on a fire or logging road or to work a ranch, but that's a TINY portion of the people driving monsters like your Raptor. (Note I'm not commenting on YOUR ownership of the Raptor. I'm intentionally speaking in generalities.)
Totally agree here. I have a ‘21 Wrangler Rubicon with a 3.5” lift and 37s. My Gen 2 Raptor felt low compared to that. My R1T is a low rider by comparison.

Raptor serves a different purpose? I guess it is for people who want a much bigger, much slower vehicle.
The Raptor is a dedicated desert runner. Even my Gen 2 Raptor, with the MUCH lower horsepower, is superior to that aspect than even my R1T. Other than that, the size of the Raptor is the one thing I do miss about it. Otherwise my R1T beats the snot out of it. It’s a better road truck, it’s a better off roader (except in the desert), it’s almost a sports car with its high speed performance. I thought my Gen 2 Raptor was quick, holy moley the R1T shifted that paradigm by a massive amount.

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Jeep Wrangler, C6 Corvette Z06, R1S
I've owned tons of sports/luxury cars and would like to post some of my thoughts after looking over and driving the R1S. I've had one on reserve for a couple years now, with the R1S going to be my primary vehicle. A lot of the comments will be versus my current 2023 Ford F150 Raptor with the 37" Performance Package (Price: $93K for comparison) [see photo next to R1T]:

Pro's:
1. R1S is a good looking SUV.
2. Having owned various Tesla's, I enjoyed the strong 1-pedal/regen driving.
3. SUV was quite quiet.
4. The acceleration is nice.
5. I miss having engine-less air-conditioning for the dogs that you obviously don't get with an ICE.

Con's:
1. In person, the R1S definitely felt smaller than I had imagined. At 6'4"/220, some areas were a bit tight. No way I could sit in the back/camp with the seats down.
2. The Frunk was smaller than it appeared in videos etc.
3. Really the only wheels I ended up liking in person were the 20" Black off-road. Interestingly, for an extra $1,700 over the bright ones, all you get is a tinted clear coat. Yikes.
4. The Driver+ is kinda a joke compared to my Ford. My Ford with Co-Pilot 360 2.0, has adaptive cruise with lane centering that works on ALL roads with zero fuss.
5. The seats in the Rivian were one of the biggest let-downs for me. Quite stiff. My Raptors seats felt completely luxury compared.
6. The Raptor rides far better (it's known as one of the most comfortable riding vehicles due to the baja style long-travel suspension).
7. The steering wheel on the Rivian felt thin, plasticky and cheap. The Raptor steering wheel and overall interior felt higher quality. Ford really has done an amazing job on their latest high end trucks. I was not that impressed with the Rivian interior for the money.
8. The Rivian tires looked absolutely tiny compared to the Raptors. And the Rivian small tires were already filling up the small wheel-wells. (Yes, for aerodynamics).
9. Rivian felt low to the ground in view and seat height. Suspension was on "Normal".
10. Rivian nav/controls compared to Raptor wireless Android Auto with wireless charging... well there is no comparison.

Overall, the R1S is decent but I think it's closer to the value of its pre-price increase cost versus post-price increase cost. I think once the early adopters run out, they will struggle to sell these at near six figures. With myself, fiancé, two German Shepherds, and a bunch of camping gear, the R1S is just too small. We also parked next to and looked at the R1T, and the bed size on that thing was absolutely laughable. It's smaller than my old Jeep Gladiator bed.

I also was quite surprised how I rated the colors in person versus online. The red wasn't near as nice as I had imagines, nor the Forest Green. Me and my fiancé both preferred the white and black. Both with the black 20" off-road wheels.

The R1S doesn't fit the bill for my use, especially against the absolute beast that the 37" PP Raptor is, but I may still proceed with the purchase of a white R1S for my fiancé. But even at the pre-price hike price, we are on the fence.

20230519_154348.jpg
and you can't take the doors and top off the Rivian. another strike, don't know if it fits the bill to replace my Jeep.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Great responses, especially @Count Orlok as usual.

Many of the OPs cons are things that any prospective owner should have already been aware of through some simple research. Size, ride comfort, seats, etc. are all things I knew everything about just based on reviews and some research on this forum. Some of the complaints have the vibe of 'my Explorer feels small compared to my Expedition.' Yeah - they're different sizes. Big tires are bigger than smaller tires, and so on...

The only thing I read on this list that still really bothers me as an owner is the Driver+ limitations. When I can engage the system it does work well, but the MANY limitations need to be improved upon. I am hopeful we will get more (or all) roads, lane changes, etc. soon. As long as this is just an early-adopter penalty then I'm fine, but with 95% of my driving being on the highway I would really like some expansion quickly.

Sponsored

ironmanihp

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I did my first test drive on Friday. It was ok. Out tour guide didn't show us much. We drove around in traffic, it was the last one of his day. So maybe just didn't flow like we hoped. Why dont they let you sit in one like Tesla at a show room so we can try all the features vs just during the test drive?

My main take away:
I think we undervalued the performance/engineering of the truck with our test drive. So all I have read it is very capable but my wife cares less about that. So I think that is still a big plus.

But the interior I was left wanting more. My 85 lbs dog lays at my boys feet in the second row of our current Highlander (and its tight) so was hoping for the interior to feel much bigger (its a full 10 sq ft bigger). But it didn't. Felt the same. There is no interior killer feature. Why would use put a USB C on the back of the head rests, is that really a good spot? Our guide didn't mention the Qi chargers. The 3rd row seats are not motorized is lame. Thought it was cool how you can change the vents direction, lack of temperature control for the second row is lame. I know a lot of this has been said but it was interesting for my kids and wife to come to these very same conclusions.

Anyway I am still a fan, still interested, perhaps maybe got a bad tour guide. But agree at $90k for the dual motor I am waiting on, that seems high and for sure not a slam dunk. Where something with a $75k in front would seems appropriate. I am 9-10 months out so well see but wish it was more ah-ha inside to match what I believe is on the outside.

Pacblue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
My far and away biggest issue is seat comfort...I find the seat the most uncomfortable car seats I or anyone I have sit in the vehicle have ever used.

Otherwise, the vehicle is absolutely awesome, and I would not take a Raptor for free (or would sell rapidly), so likely disagree w/ most of your other points...

I love the R1S but might literally sell it as a result of discomfort with ergonomics. Huge bummer after waiting basically 4 years.

I've owned tons of sports/luxury cars and would like to post some of my thoughts after looking over and driving the R1S. I've had one on reserve for a couple years now, with the R1S going to be my primary vehicle. A lot of the comments will be versus my current 2023 Ford F150 Raptor with the 37" Performance Package (Price: $93K for comparison) [see photo next to R1T]:

Pro's:
3. SUV was quite quiet.
5. I miss having engine-less air-conditioning for the dogs that you obviously don't get with an ICE.

Con's:
1. In person, the R1S definitely felt smaller than I had imagined. At 6'4"/220, some areas were a bit tight. No way I could sit in the back/camp with the seats down.
4. The Driver+ is kinda a joke compared to my Ford. My Ford with Co-Pilot 360 2.0, has adaptive cruise with lane centering that works on ALL roads with zero fuss.
5. The seats in the Rivian were one of the biggest let-downs for me. Quite stiff. My Raptors seats felt completely luxury compared.
6. The Raptor rides far better (it's known as one of the most comfortable riding vehicles due to the baja style long-travel suspension).
7. The steering wheel on the Rivian felt thin, plasticky and cheap. The Raptor steering wheel and overall interior felt higher quality. Ford really has done an amazing job on their latest high end trucks. I was not that impressed with the Rivian interior for the money.
10. Rivian nav/controls compared to Raptor wireless Android Auto with wireless charging... well there is no comparison.

Overall, the R1S is decent but I think it's closer to the value of its pre-price increase cost versus post-price increase cost. I think once the early adopters run out, they will struggle to sell these at near six figures. With myself, fiancé, two German Shepherds, and a bunch of camping gear, the R1S is just too small. We also parked next to and looked at the R1T, and the bed size on that thing was absolutely laughable. It's smaller than my old Jeep Gladiator bed.

I also was quite surprised how I rated the colors in person versus online. The red wasn't near as nice as I had imagines, nor the Forest Green. Me and my fiancé both preferred the white and black. Both with the black 20" off-road wheels.

The R1S doesn't fit the bill for my use, especially against the absolute beast that the 37" PP Raptor is, but I may still proceed with the purchase of a white R1S for my fiancé. But even at the pre-price hike price, we are on the fence.

20230519_154348.jpg

Leo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quad. Range Rover, Infinti
"The acceleration is....... nice?" Goes to show the use case is different for everyone. I'm used to driving 2 seat sports cars and high powered sedans and my concerns are that the R1S is too big. No dogs, kids out of the house, etc. but the Riv is so cool! Not for everybody so recommendation is not to buy it if your not completely sold. Drive what you like.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I don't understand why leather is considered luxury. I have 2 other vehicles with leather steering wheels and they are both slippery. R1 steering has much better grip.

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S First Drive from a car guy / Raptor owner 1684777985930
Not Cheap either! Even for a slightly used truck. To be noted, The raptor is a nice truck!!! Sorry to hear that your Duty station is Ft Rucker. 😂 Personally, I don't think any of the Army posts in the south are nice. I spent time at Ft. Campbell, Ft Benning and Ft Kobbe. Not much better at all.
Granted that the lower picture is on the Pavement but its still nose to nose in the Desert. Also, if needed, my 80 year old mom can drive this truck.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S First Drive from a car guy / Raptor owner 1684778602714

Last edited:

Sponsored

gt2690b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none

Pro's:
3. SUV was quite quiet.

Con's:

20230519_154348.jpg
RE: #9 - why not put it on off-road or max height if it felt low? that puts it at about the same height (or even higher) than the raptor

didn't see it mentioned that the R1S has more ground clearance than the raptor even with 37's

also the R1S has a much better turning radius making it more capable off-road and on trails

The raptor just looks like a bad-ass machine though but since you're already engaged probably time to ditch it, lol

Last edited:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
One thing to consider is at my electrical and gas costs local to me, it would take about 6500 miles only to "pay" for those dark wheels (which I have and absolutely love), compared the Raptor.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

these are two different type vehicles on various factors so some of your pros and cons dont make sense.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

note to self: post a comparison between my R1S and 911 to demonstrate how the R1S serves a different purpose than the Porsche.
Compared with my lawnmower, the R1T did an absolutely terrible job cutting the grass. It certainly made me rethink my purchase.