Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
  • Banned
I've owned tons of sports/luxury cars and would like to post some of my thoughts after looking over and driving the R1S. I've had one on reserve for a couple years now, with the R1S going to be my primary vehicle. A lot of the comments will be versus my current 2023 Ford F150 Raptor with the 37" Performance Package (Price: $93K for comparison) [see photo next to R1T]:

Pro's:
1. R1S is a good looking SUV.
2. Having owned various Tesla's, I enjoyed the strong 1-pedal/regen driving.
3. SUV was quite quiet.
4. The acceleration is nice.
5. I miss having engine-less air-conditioning for the dogs that you obviously don't get with an ICE.

Con's:
1. In person, the R1S definitely felt smaller than I had imagined. At 6'4"/220, some areas were a bit tight. No way I could sit in the back/camp with the seats down.
2. The Frunk was smaller than it appeared in videos etc.
3. Really the only wheels I ended up liking in person were the 20" Black off-road. Interestingly, for an extra $1,700 over the bright ones, all you get is a tinted clear coat. Yikes.
4. The Driver+ is kinda a joke compared to my Ford. My Ford with Co-Pilot 360 2.0, has adaptive cruise with lane centering that works on ALL roads with zero fuss.
5. The seats in the Rivian were one of the biggest let-downs for me. Quite stiff. My Raptors seats felt completely luxury compared.
6. The Raptor rides far better (it's known as one of the most comfortable riding vehicles due to the baja style long-travel suspension).
7. The steering wheel on the Rivian felt thin, plasticky and cheap. The Raptor steering wheel and overall interior felt higher quality. Ford really has done an amazing job on their latest high end trucks. I was not that impressed with the Rivian interior for the money.
8. The Rivian tires looked absolutely tiny compared to the Raptors. And the Rivian small tires were already filling up the small wheel-wells. (Yes, for aerodynamics).
9. Rivian felt low to the ground in view and seat height. Suspension was on "Normal".
10. Rivian nav/controls compared to Raptor wireless Android Auto with wireless charging... well there is no comparison.

Overall, the R1S is decent but I think it's closer to the value of its pre-price increase cost versus post-price increase cost. I think once the early adopters run out, they will struggle to sell these at near six figures. With myself, fiancé, two German Shepherds, and a bunch of camping gear, the R1S is just too small. We also parked next to and looked at the R1T, and the bed size on that thing was absolutely laughable. It's smaller than my old Jeep Gladiator bed.

I also was quite surprised how I rated the colors in person versus online. The red wasn't near as nice as I had imagines, nor the Forest Green. Me and my fiancé both preferred the white and black. Both with the black 20" off-road wheels.

The R1S doesn't fit the bill for my use, especially against the absolute beast that the 37" PP Raptor is, but I may still proceed with the purchase of a white R1S for my fiancé. But even at the pre-price hike price, we are on the fence.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S First Drive from a car guy / Raptor owner 20230519_154348
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
9. Rivian felt low to the ground in view and seat height. Suspension was on "Normal".
I'm not going to comment on anything else but this one. Yeah, of course the Rivian felt low to the ground compared to your Raptor. A Raptor's hood is above my shoulder. Current generation trucks are OBSCENELY tall. Stupid tall just for the sake of being tall. The R1T(S) is a tall vehicle compared to the vast majority of vehicles on the road. Compared to my Audi Q5, driving in the Rivian puts me noticeably higher. The Q5 isn't a short vehicle by any measure except compared to trucks, which, again, are stupidly tall for no practical reason -- for probably 99% of truck drivers who will never drive even on a well-maintained gravel road, let alone anything worse. Sure, there are a handful of people who need their truck to get to work on a fire or logging road or to work a ranch, but that's a TINY portion of the people driving monsters like your Raptor. (Note I'm not commenting on YOUR ownership of the Raptor. I'm intentionally speaking in generalities.)

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

I too did a test drive of the R1S recently. I’m much smaller than you, at 5’ 8” and 150 lbs, so I found all aspects of the interior perfectly roomy. I’m not a pickup truck guy, though I’ve owned several SUV’s, and have not ever owned a Ford as I can recall, but none of the interior components struck me as feeling cheap.
It’s interesting to me how many people care about the look of the wheels. I don’t, unless they’re really goofy, but to me the interior appointments, ride quality and lines/body shape are most important.
Anyway, I do think at pre-increase pricing the R1S is a great deal. Different strokes for different folks. Drive what you like. You only live once!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm not going to comment on anything else but this one. Yeah, of course the Rivian felt low to the ground compared to your Raptor. A Raptor's hood is above my shoulder. Current generation trucks are OBSCENELY tall. Stupid tall just for the sake of being tall. The R1T(S) is a tall vehicle compared to the vast majority of vehicles on the road. Compared to my Audi Q5, driving in the Rivian puts me noticeably higher. The Q5 isn't a short vehicle by any measure except compared to trucks, which, again, are stupidly tall for no practical reason -- for probably 99% of truck drivers who will never drive even on a well-maintained gravel road, let alone anything worse. Sure, there are a handful of people who need their truck to get to work on a fire or logging road or to work a ranch, but that's a TINY portion of the people driving monsters like your Raptor. (Note I'm not commenting on YOUR ownership of the Raptor. I'm intentionally speaking in generalities.)
My wife commented the other day while being a passenger in our Polestar that it felt like she was practically scraping her butt on the ground in the car. The R1S is still pretty tall and you're sitting relatively high off the ground in it. Of course when we had the Hummer EV she liked driving that because your eye level is above the majority of the other vehicles on the road, and the Rivian is definitely not that high. But the Polestar still isn't that low to the ground all things considered.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
note to self: post a comparison between my R1S and 911 to demonstrate how the R1S serves a different purpose than the Porsche.

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Great review; I agree with most of it.

Note, though, that the R1S doesn't pollute the air. ICE trucks are the some of the worst offenders here. Sometime soon, if not already, driving an ICE truck can/will be considered being a colossal dick. For zero emissions you have to make a few compromises in shape and redistribution of dollars to the expensive battery. For me, it's worth it. I'd rather have a hydrogen fuel cell truck sourced from green H2, but for now BEV is the best for me, knowing I'm not emitting carcinogens and cooking the planet (as much).

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

It would be better if you compared the F150 Lightning to your Raptor. The Rivian spec's have been around for a few years now, so there is nothing really revelatory on your comments. You compared a mid-size 800+ HP purpose built adventure vehicle to your similarly priced ICE Raptor on 37's.

One could say your Raptor is slow, handles poorly in day-to-day driving and you have to wait in line at Costco to get gas.....but no one would say that ;). Love the Raptor, but they aren't similar vehicles...If I wanted a Large SUV, I would purchase a Denali, but my wife (she's 5'9 and I'm 6'2) didn't desire a behemoth, she wanted a wicked quick, highly rated safety 7-seater that is electrified, hence the R1S.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Just sold my Gen 3 Raptor (which we loved) and waiting for our R1S.
Most of the OP’s comparisons don’t make sense as the dimensions of the Raptor and R1S are so different but on my test drive and first mile drive, I did also feel like the Rivian’s interior is not real luxury (let’s not even compare with British brands) and far less ergonomically thought out than the Raptor.
That being said we’re still waiting for the Rivian and are excited about it.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Interesting observation on the Ford. I had 2 Mach E’s prior to the Rivian and I thought co-pilot 360 and BlueCruise was pretty unreliable. I couldn’t use it very much even in Portland, Oregon. Very few roads were mapped and it couldn’t handle hardly any curves - it would disengage regularly. Plus the eye nanny would brake check me and the drivers behind if I drove with my hand on top of the steering wheel because the sensors were horribly placed. Driver+ hasn’t had these issues, for me at least.

I got into a Lightning Lariat for the first time on Friday (only higher trim level is Platinum) and I felt the interior was of much lower quality than the Rivian. In fact, it was the steering wheel that I thought was much lower quality and felt like those from the work trucks of years past.

I guess it’s all personal preference, but I was so happy to have gone with the Rivian after finally getting inside a Lightning.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I'd keep the Raptor. Love those but comparing them to an R1 is apples vs oranges.

I'd also agree with you on price. I got my R1 for $78k all in and that feels like a good deal. Would I pay $95k for my R1 ... No.

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
note to self: post a comparison between my R1S and 911 to demonstrate how the R1S serves a different purpose than the Porsche.
Raptor serves a different purpose? I guess it is for people who want a much bigger, much slower vehicle.

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
I agree with the apples to oranges comments, but I do appreciate your post. When I first reserved the R1S I had imagined a larger vehicle. I currently own an F250 and have previously owned an Expedition, two Suburbans and a Tahoe. Then I saw the R1S in Venice, eventually drove the R1S on a first mile, and of course read 100s of posts with pictures and comments regarding the size. My point is that I have grown to appreciate a smaller SUV and look forward to owning an R1S based on its attributes. Give it time OP it may grow on you! PS - your Raptor is an amazing machine, especially the ride quality.

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
Great review; I agree with most of it.

Note, though, that the R1S doesn't pollute the air. ICE trucks are the some of the worst offenders here. Sometime soon, if not already, driving an ICE truck can/will be considered being a colossal dick. For zero emissions you have to make a few compromises in shape and redistribution of dollars to the expensive battery. For me, it's worth it. I'd rather have a hydrogen fuel cell truck sourced from green H2, but for now BEV is the best for me, knowing I'm not emitting carcinogens and cooking the planet (as much).
Lest we get too smug, check out the Volvo report on carbon impact of their EV vs ice. The industry will improve carbon efficiency, but for now these EVs do have an impact. Your last sentence nailed it - “as much”. Great perspective.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Con's:
1. In person, the R1S definitely felt smaller than I had imagined. At 6'4"/220, some areas were a bit tight. No way I could sit in the back/camp with the seats down.
2. The Frunk was smaller than it appeared in videos etc.
3. Really the only wheels I ended up liking in person were the 20" Black off-road. Interestingly, for an extra $1,700 over the bright ones, all you get is a tinted clear coat. Yikes.
4. The Driver+ is kinda a joke compared to my Ford. My Ford with Co-Pilot 360 2.0, has adaptive cruise with lane centering that works on ALL roads with zero fuss.
5. The seats in the Rivian were one of the biggest let-downs for me. Quite stiff. My Raptors seats felt completely luxury compared.
6. The Raptor rides far better (it's known as one of the most comfortable riding vehicles due to the baja style long-travel suspension).
7. The steering wheel on the Rivian felt thin, plasticky and cheap. The Raptor steering wheel and overall interior felt higher quality. Ford really has done an amazing job on their latest high end trucks. I was not that impressed with the Rivian interior for the money.
8. The Rivian tires looked absolutely tiny compared to the Raptors. And the Rivian small tires were already filling up the small wheel-wells. (Yes, for aerodynamics).
10. Rivian nav/controls compared to Raptor wireless Android Auto with wireless charging... well there is no comparison.
A few comments:
#1 - I'm 6-3"/220 and thought the interior space was fine for front and middle seating. I sat in all three rows. Third row would be difficult for more than 20 minutes, but doable for a short run.
#2 - I thought the frunk was larger in person than what photos and videos showed.
#5 - I like firmer seats and thought they were great.
#8/#9 - How is this a con? They are completely different vehicles and this is a fundamental objective difference, not a subjective seat comfort or ride quality type of thing.

Lots of apples and oranges comparisons in your review.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

The only one I will comment on is the size of the Frunk..... Are you expecting to hide 4 bodies instead of 3? The rest is very subjective and as a R1S owner I absolutely love it. Do I wish Drive+ was a little better, sure but it is about where I would expect it to be right now.
Sponsored