Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S Electric SUV Debuts in Los Angeles Rivian-R1S-SUV

Rivian begins to build out portfolio with electric R1S SUV

LOS ANGELES -- Rivian Automotive's R1S, an electric SUV, doesn't stray too far from the vehicle the startup company showed Monday, the R1T pickup.

The SUV will ride on the same skateboard platform that the company has designed for its vehicles and will be powered by the same quad-motor system found in the R1T, which sends 147 kW and torque control to each wheel.

The SUV was to debut Tuesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

Rivian's plans call for the R1S to receive the same battery options as its pickup sibling. However, in the case of the R1S, the battery determines how many seats the vehicle has.

If it's equipped with either the 105 kWh or 135 kWh battery, there's seating for seven passengers, while the long-range 180 kWh battery drops that figure down to five passengers.

The R1S' range will be slightly longer than the R1T pickup by 10 miles with each battery option, Rivian noted.

The 105 kWh battery has a range of around 240 miles, the 135 kWh battery has a range of 310 miles and the 180 kWh battery's range is around 410 miles. Rivian plans to offer the R1S with the 135 kWh and 180 kWh batteries first, followed by the 105 kWh battery within a year.

Rivian's SUV will be a little bit shorter compared with the R1T — the total length is 198.4 inches and its wheelbase is 121 inches, down from the R1T's length of 215.5 inches and wheelbase of 135.8 inches, but its width is equal to the R1T.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S Electric SUV Debuts in Los Angeles Rivian-R1S-SUV

The R1S will be able to tow 7,700 pounds, less than the R1T's 11,000-pound capacity.

Much like how the R1T has a traditional pickup shape and look, the R1S looks the part of an SUV, given its boxy footprint, large windows and long roofline.

It also keeps the R1T's headlight design, as well as a similar interior, including easy-to-clean materials and sustainably sourced wood trim.

Rivian said R1S deliveries are set to begin in 2021, following the R1T, which is due in late 2020. The company said pricing for the base R1S will begin at $72,500, excluding the to-be-determined shipping charge and before a $7,500 U.S. tax credit. As with the R1T — which starts at $69,000, less than the SUV — the company is taking refundable $1,000 deposits.

It is also set to be built at the company's plant in Normal, Ill.
Sponsored

JG Rivian

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Performance Model 3 (2018)
Excited to follow the developments here. I love my Tesla performance model 3 but miss the ride height of a bigger car. If the specs mentioned come to fruition, this is going to be an awesome ride. 3 second 0-60 big fully electric SUV to take out to national parks and off-road... doesn’t sound too bad to me at all.

My primary concern is standardized charging options that will enable this car to travel on road trips like Tesla’s. Given 2020 is the year most major auto manufacturers are pledging to electrify their vehicles, I think the charging landscape is going to be changing drastically between now and when Rivian launches the R1S and R1T.